Rear Fogs

Yes it is - it guides you to obey the Law where it refers to Law and is a Code for the rest.

Is it any wonder our roads are so dangerous when folk get wound up about things such as described in this thread?

Backing off, slowing down would seem to be a cure for most all the ills mentioned here. Xenon head lights excepted (can you buy Xenon-glasses to combat their glare, as with sun glasses?).

Bit of a story to the PCSO.

I admit to being wrong and parking on a pavement outside our house. Everyone else still does, I know it's no excuse. One day a Police officer turns up after someone complained about it. The officer spoke to me and didn't issue the ticket as I apologised and moved the car straight away. I have never parked anywhere like it since and have learnt my lesson.

Anyway, others were still doing the same, but also parking on corners and adjacent to dropped curbs. So I emailed the local Sargent. He point blank refused to do anything even though they had "warned" me against the same. After an exchange of emails he sent a PSCO to talk to me. I explained along with two other neighbours about the problem and that's when she said there was nothing they could do about it and that the Highway Code was there for guidance. I asked her if she meant all of it and she confirmed that. So I said "ok if I'm "speeding then", that's when she stopped me and said I was being silly. I then asked her why I was being treated differently, to which she said that I wasn't. So both my self and my neighbours agreed that I was. She then said your just getting " argumentative, and I'm ending the conversation. I wasn't I was just asking as to why the rules we different for others. I didn't raise my voice or anything.

She was indeed useless and luckily she's not on our beat at present. I wouldn't take a word of what she said about the Highway Code. One thing I can say is that there has been several near misses involving cars and pedestrians. We also had an occasion where an ambulance on a 999 call had problems within access. The day someone is hurt due to a parking issue I have an exchange of emails I can produce.

Fog lights are indeed for use in Fog, Falling Snow and Heavy rain where visibility is clearly reduced.

Many of the rules in the Highway Code are law, but unfortunately some are grey areas and open to interpretation.

In the Highway code it is the bits that say MUST/MUST NOT that are the legal requirements.

For Fogs

You MUST use headlights when visibility is seriously reduced, generally when you cannot see for more than 100 metres (328 feet). You may also use front or rear fog lights but you MUST switch them off when visibility improves (see Rule 236). Law RVLR regs 25 & 27

Not law regarding Fog Lights, but a simple thing also is remembering to use the headlight adjusters that are in many cars now to adjust the beam when you are loaded up so not to dazzle others.

I'm afraid all you really can do is do your best not to annoy others.

I drive about an hour to work and the same back, and I'm sick to death of front fog lights, I see maybe 30-40 cars with them on, every journey. They dazzle tired eyes.

People know that they're on as well* so it's not an oversight.. I think some people just like having them on for whatever reason, it's hard to put them on by accident.

* (And if you're not sold on that, you can try flashing your own rear fogs to let them know: You'll get "winker" hand gestures, aggressive driving, they might even follow you at really stupid distances putting full beam on to blind you like one man did with me).

By the way, in my former career as a policeman, when I let drivers know their front fog lights were on, number one reply was usually "they're not fog lights, they're driving / auxiliary lights".

Lose the beard said:
Dobbo25 said:
Just wondering what anyone thinks about "we" Motorcyclists, riding with our full beams on during the day?

Never noticed a motorcyclist on Full Beam, it obviously doesn't work. :icon_razz:

Ah, you must be one of the "honest officer I didn't see him" brigade :icon_lol:

Bechet45 said:
Yes it is - it guides you to obey the Law where it refers to can you buy Xenon-glasses to combat their glare, as with sun glasses?

Yes you can, but you look a pillock in them:-
181802_10151301924527838_1774395115_n.jpg

Dobbo25 said:
Just wondering what anyone thinks about "we" Motorcyclists, riding with our full beams on during the day?
It didnt stop the "Honest Officer I didnt see a 20 stone bloke in a day glo yellow jacket riding a big red Kawasaki with his headlight on because I was too busy applying my make up" or some other lame excuse driver of the Megane causing:-
1584_41359197837_7982_n.jpg

Looks painful, I'm surprised they never said you were going that fast you came out of nowhere, that's the usual excuse given, I got pulled over in my car once and when the "nice"!!! policeman noticed I had a bike licence he said "Ah you must have points on it" Too cut a long story short I spent the next 20 mins biting my lip:mad: :icon_lol:

As a slight digression but sort of in keeping. In amongst the fog lights in queues of traffic brigade this morning there were the "it's better to risk getting run over than to walk on a slippery pavement" brigade.
I do understand it but I find the whole not stepping out of the road when a car comes a bit peculiar.

Had a guy this morning head down disco earmuffs on who didn't react until I'd been forced to pull up in front of him, parked cars on other side of the road and oncoming traffic forcing my hand. Indicated traffic to him whilst he shouted and swore at me to get out of the way. When I eventually had space to pull around him and go he punched the car a couple of times on the way past - nice.

The one that really got me though was turning up a back street to work again oncoming traffic and cars parked on the other side. Two fat doylems walking on the road with knee high toddlers on the outside of them - foggy, icy, dark I'll walk up the side of the road with my 3 year old between me and the traffic, I had to stop and say something.

Here's one. My offside headlight bulb went, so I only had the nearside headlight and could have looked like a motorbike from the front in the dark. So I switched my front fogs on so I looked like a car again. It wasn't foggy, but I wanted other road users to know I was W-I-D-E for safety purposes, until I could replace the headlamp bulb. I just got loads of people flashing their fogs at me to get me to turn mine off. I dunno, I thought I was being safe.

Back
Top Bottom