Review: RR Hawk SE razor

I should have mine within 48 hours. Will probably use the Rocnel knurled handle if it fits. Looking forward to using this. Ordered the chrome version. Could have bought 2 but wanted to give other guys a chance to own one.

Shave Report 2
I'll try to keep it short and to the point in this shave report.

After shave one:
I noticed that my stubble grew in surprisingly fast. Normally if I get a really close shave on day 1 I don't really 'need' to shave on day 2. In this case I had some substantial stubble already w/in 20 hours or so. It was rather evenly across my face/neck as well.
Now, granted - "Shave 1" was me faffing about with two razors and changing blades four times so I won't read too much into it but I'll see how I feel 20 hours after this more 'normal' shave.

Today's set-up:
Chrome Hawk SE
Feather Pro (2nd use)
Fitjar Shea Pleasure
EJ brush
Floid Blue A/S

The Good:
I am still really liking the look of the Hawk.
I like the size, design/look and I am continuing to be impressed by the manufacturing quality especially at this prince point.
It's a rather mild shave and allows you to move around a bit faster/careless than you would with say a KC.
I might actually 'upgrade' its level of aggression to be slightly above the Mongoose. A subjective rating of course.
Two passes (WTG and ATG) and I was clean shaven.

The Less-Good:
The razor is indeed lightweight and for some reason it does feel 'more like a toy' than The General/Hone 15a when using it.
Trouble-areas like under my chin requires a few more passes to get it clean but I'm thinking that is more of me adjusting to both the razor design and weight.

The still unanswered:
For how long will I stay clean shaven?
I still think this is a fantastic deal for anyone looking to get into ArtisanClub style SE razors but I am questioning if it's a razor that one 'needs' if one already have a Mongoose/KC/Classic Cobra, etc. A month from now when I feel like have a shave with a SE razor - will I ever reach for the Hawk? I don't know but I fear I might opt for something a bit more substantial feeling.
With that in mind is the $20 still a bargain or would I have been better of just buying some blades?

2a7xxjt.jpg

Darkbulb, I felt the same way about their new Teck II. Although mine was free, it now sits in the box as after several shaves it just didn't cut the mustard. However, it just makes me appreciate my Kronas & Techs even more and they have forgiven my "infidelity". :p

Could you increase the aggression by putting in a Feather Super?

Personally I couldn't as I don't have any :)
I do find the Feather Pro to be 'enough of a blade' in most SE razors I've used.

I was actually thinking about going 'the other way' and put a milder ProGuard in it to see how it performs. Granted, mostly because it's the only other compatible blade I seem to have around.

Darkbulb, I felt the same way about their new Teck II. Although mine was free, it now sits in the box as after several shaves it just didn't cut the mustard. However, it just makes me appreciate my Kronas & Techs even more and they have forgiven my "infidelity". :p

You mean in terms of 'sure, it's a bargain but will I ever really use it'?
I'm not a huge fan of the Techs but the Kronas are, I think, some of the finest DE razors ever made. Hugely underappreciated.

Actually yeah. I think the RX arrives tomorrow but I want to get a few more shaves in with the Hawks first so I can get a good, final, personal thought on them. It's not like the RX is gonna vaporize by lying around for a few days :)
No it won't vaporise.

But I want to hear your thoughts on the RX and how it compares to the KC!

Back
Top Bottom