Review: The General SE razor

Greetings

I have totally lost track of just how many safety razors there are now on the market designed to take the Feather artist club style blades; bearing in mind that what seems like last week, but in reality is a few years ago there were none, do any of you knowledgeable folk out there actually know?

Regards
Dick.

Last edited:
Greetings

I have totally lost track of just how many safety razors there are now on the market designed to take the Feather artist club style blades; bearing in mind that what seems like last week, but in reality is a few years there were none, do any of you knowledgeable folk out there actually know?

Regards
Dick.

Including available and to-be-released:
Alumigoose
Asylum Rx
ATT SE1
Claymore
Cobra Classic
General
iKon SE
King Cobra
Mongoose SS
Mongoose SS II
Rocnel SE50

* Might have missed some
* One could also include shavettes like the IBC one I guess

SHAVE REPORT # 1

Had my first shave with The General this morning where it had to deal with two days worth of beard growth.

Lathered up some Mickey Lee Soapworks soap's "Ruby's Green" (first time using it and have to say I was rather impressed by both scent and performance) and went to wor... shave.

First pass (WTG):
Initial impression: This is a really quiet..and mild razor.
As I continued my WTG shave the mildness of it really became apparent.
I found myself moving along much quicker than I would had done with, I believe, any of the SE Feather/Kai razors that I own (with the possible exception of the Rocnel SE50 which is also on the mild side of things).
It felt light in my hands (which wasn't a real surprise) but still substantial.

Second pass (ATG):
Navigating around my face was really effortless. The handle is close to the ultimate length for me so that helped. I did however find that the tapering at the top of the handle did make it feel a bit too thin. I think ideally I would have liked for the handle to continue with the same thickness all the way to the head of the razor.

There were moments where I questioned if it shaved at all as I could not feel any blade and it's a relatively quiet razor - but when washing off the soap residue after my second pass I found that it had done a remarkable job getting me to a clean and close shave.

I need to do a closer comparison to the Rocnel SE50 as these two razors, to me, are in a class by themselves - they do not shave like any other SE Kai/Feather razors out there as they are both significantly milder than what's available today but still manage to deliver very clean, close shaves.
The two does distinguish themselves when it comes to weight though with the Rocnel being a beast and the General being half(?) its weight.

If I had to get a quick, close shave in with no real fear of cutting myself - and wanted to use a SE Kai/Feather razor - I would reach for the General or Rocnel SE50. It would come down to weight/material preference.
Funny thing is - they are both priced about the same (Rocnel SE50: $85 and The General: $79).

TL;DR:
A lightweight - yet substantial feeling - razor that is very mild but efficient.
Handle, for me, would benefit from being same thickness all the way to the head.
If you love the idea of SE Kai/Feather razors but feel they are too aggressive this might be the one for you.
If you, on the other hand, like heavy, audible and more aggressive razors this might not be your ticket to shaving nirvana.

Can't wait to try it out more this week.

23kul37.jpg

Given the current crop of shave reports from new SE offerings, I'd have almost been tempted to try an aluminium razor if the bloody 'M' word hadn't cropped up yet again.

Surely there's someone out there thinking to themselves "Screw mild ......... I'm making this one an utter bastard in the hand"

I've got the Mongoose .... Lovely razor, but too bloody mild ....... And I've said it before: I don't want another single edged Tech :D

I like to relate the recent run of SE's, similar to being constipated. The harder you push, more likely it will come out with the possibility of damage.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom