Review: The General SE razor

SHAVE REPORT # 2
Had my second shave with The General this morning.

Almost all my initial impressions held true throughout the second shave which, in short, were;
- mild feeling shave (not a lot of blade feel), and
- able to give a very clean and smooth shave result in two passes

First pass (WTG):
The feeling that this is indeed a rather mild razor was once again the first thing that stood out to me.
Just like during the first shave I found myself moving much faster than I normally would be able to do with a Feather Pro blade against my face.

Second pass (ATG):
Re-lathered (using some most excellent Catie's Bubbles soap btw) and repeated the pass but against the grain.
Quick, clean and effortless. Again not a lot of audible feedback from the razor but even so it felt natural to find the correct angle.
One interesting thing I noticed was that I had a very easy time getting my upper lip and the area right underneath the nose clean shaven. That's normally one of my trouble-spots where I have to go over a few extra times and sometimes lead to some redness. The milder General seemed to take care of it all w/out any noticeable tenderness/redness even after doing a few extra strokes there.

TL;DR:
Mild, very efficient, excelled at getting a razor-burn-free upper lip/nose shave.
If you love SE Kai/Feather blades and want a safe - yet close - you should absolutely take a closer look at The General.
If you like louder, heavier and more aggressive SE razors I'd recommend maybe something like the King Cobra.

Next I'll see how it does on Monday with three full days of beard growth,

66j66s.jpg

SHAVE REPORT # 3
***Price update: The new target price of The General is lowered to $59 / £44.50 ***

Third shave with The General this morning.
I didn't shave this weekend so the razor had to deal with three days of beard growth.

Lathered up some OSP shaving soap (great soap btw) and was curious as to how the razor would deal with some more whiskers.

WTG:

Still the same mild efficiency. It mowed down the whiskers without almost letting onto that it was cutting.
I again felt it excelling in 'trouble spots' like under the nose, around the mouth and under my chin and I think part of that can be attributed to the fact that I feel less worried that I will cut myself so I put in a bit more effort there. The result - clean shaven with no post-shave discomfort.

ATG:
Pretty much a repeat of the WTG pass.
Even though this very much could be a general-purpose (see what I did there...?) razor I also feel that it has some interesting specific usages - lightweight razor on a roadtrip (the SE blades lasts a lot longer than a DE for me so load a blade and head out) or hiking trip, where you want to keep size and weight down and may be shaving during less than ultimate conditions where a milder razor might be just the tool.

With a new target price of $59 / £44.50 I'm hoping to see more reviews of it come in late this summer when it has been released.

My time with The General is nearing its end and I'll be sad to see it go - it did, for me, fill a nice gap in my SE razor line up with it's compact, light weight and not killer-aggressive shave. Good thing that I'm on the waiting list to buy as I 'want it back'.

2cyjp5g.jpg

Last edited:
I ended up liking it to the point where I bought it.
It fills a gap for me as a milder, compact and light weight SE razor. Heading out of town in a few hours and am actually bringing this one :)

It does look great. Personally i don't like a smooth handle and shipping from the US makes it prohibitive considering i have the mongoose (aluminigoose v1 and stainless steel)

I got my eyes on the rx though.

Sent from Mars

Back
Top Bottom