Rocket v Superspeed

The reason for the OP was that I have yet to try a Superspeed, inevitably I will end up buying one but was wondering if I really needed to.

I curious to know why Rockets would be better built than superspeeds, surely production in a Gillette factory in the US would be as good as the UK?

The reason for the OP was that I have yet to try a Superspeed, inevitably I will end up buying one but was wondering if I really needed to.

I curious to know why Rockets would be better built than superspeeds, surely production in a Gillette factory in the US would be as good as the UK?

I suspect it's down to specification rather than inherent issues of quality

I recently picked up a cased 1953/54 HD500 (all metal). For me it met and exceeded the hype. It's now my best shaver and has replaced my DE89 and NEW SC as my smoothest shavers. I've become a Rocket fan and have also picked up a cased 49, a blue tip, a rhodium (from a member) and regular flair tip. I'm still on the hunt for a red tip. All great shavers, although I find the blue tip very mild but picked due to luck and it's rarity. The bottom line. IMV the Rocket's are superior to the US models.

Sounds like you are well and truly on the slippery slope. #58 might be worth a look

from what I recall... just knurling pattern on handle and tto knob, the bottom of the tto knob itself. I don't understand the reason for a closed off tto knob ...

the best way to describe the tto aristocrat, a new improved/new standard with a tto mechanism. hefty is good.

Its not Uncommon for Razors to be better built by the Same Company outside the USA in this Era..Dutch made Schick Injectors were better made than USA Models of the same Design..Swedish Ones as Well..American Safety Razor Company Injectors were Better Built in the UK as Well..Same Design as Well..o_O

There was Two Reasons for this..1st..The Plants in the USA were producing far more Razors & had more Wear & Tear in their Machinery..2nd..The USA hadn't the Experience of Mass producing High Quality Goods like their European Counterparts Until the War Years..Germany & Britain had Pioneered these Mass Production methods when the Folks in the USA were Growing Cotton & Playing Cowboys & Indians..:D

Billy

Sounds like you are well and truly on the slippery slope. #58 might be worth a look

Thanks. It's also on my list. I guess there are some weight differences between the model years. I like the heaver verison. Also seems to be a debate whether it's a Rocket or an Aristocrat. I lean towards it being an Aristocrat. Either way it's a sweet looking razor. Don't start me on the #16 or #22.

Thanks. It's also on my list. I guess there are some weight differences between the model years. I like the heaver verison. Also seems to be a debate whether it's a Rocket or an Aristocrat. I lean towards it being an Aristocrat. Either way it's a sweet looking razor. Don't start me on the #16 or #22.

There is in essence only two versions of the #58, aluminium (except for the doors and centre bar)and rhodium plated brass. The former is actually much, much rarer and rarely comes up for sale. If the weight isn't listed, normally the finish is a dead give away and as further back-up, the aluminium version case will not have a loop (most rhodium / brass version cases do).

I agree that due to the finish and case etc, in terms of substance it's an Aristocrat

The No. 58 is an Aristocrat Junior.
djYL1rn_zpsulld3oer.jpg

_3%2017_zpscknpbmhd.jpg

Here's mine. And I would have to agree with @SeanC "in terms of substance, it's an Aristocrat."

As for the Rocket vs. Super Speed debate, other than the twist-to-open mechanism, Rockets tend to be heavier, slightly more aggressive, better plated, have less "rattle," have sharper, more well defined knurling, are smoother to open, and harder to fix. :)
...and they are generally harder to figure out a "born on date" as well.

Last edited:
The No. 58 is an Aristocrat Junior.
djYL1rn_zpsulld3oer.jpg

_3%2017_zpscknpbmhd.jpg

Here's mine. And I would have to agree with @SeanC "in terms of substance, it's an Aristocrat."

As for the Rocket vs. Super Speed debate, other than the twist-to-open mechanism, Rockets tend to be heavier, slightly more aggressive, better plated, have less "rattle," have sharper, more well defined knurling, are smoother to open, and harder to fix. :)
...and they are generally harder to figure out a "born on date" as well.

That's the first time I've seen a 58 actually described as Aristocrat Junior, thanks for the info.

There is in essence only two versions of the #58, aluminium (except for the doors and centre bar)and rhodium plated brass. The former is actually much, much rarer and rarely comes up for sale. If the weight isn't listed, normally the finish is a dead give away and as further back-up, the aluminium version case will not have a loop (most rhodium / brass version cases do).

I agree that due to the finish and case etc, in terms of substance it's an Aristocrat

That is interesting in that you state there is essentially only two types. I have just got a #58 but no case. I'm
Guessing it is rhodium as the finish is still nice and shiny after a bit of a clean. You put the finish is a dead giveaway - what exactly am I looking for?

That is interesting in that you state there is essentially only two types. I have just got a #58 but no case. I'm
Guessing it is rhodium as the finish is still nice and shiny after a bit of a clean. You put the finish is a dead giveaway - what exactly am I looking for?
Rhodium unless it's really dirty should still have an element of shininess. Aluminium goes dull due to oxidisation. Another way of spotting an aluminium model is that as the blade doors are still nickel plated, they will have a different tone to the rest of the razor.

Nah. It's nickel. There were a few razors that had such meticulous prep work, and thick enough plating, it was easy to believe they were rhodium plated. The 58 set is one, and so were the old Senator razors. Here's a photo of my Senator. Just look at that shine!
_3%207_zps3zpvumko.jpg

In the forties and fifties, the American plating quality took a nosedive, but the British razors' plating quality didn't dip until the sixties, maybe even the seventies.
@SeanC hit it right on the head about the aluminium models. They are fairly easy to spot. But just for a lark, you could always toss the razor on the kitchen scale. If it weighs between 68 and 72 grams, it's not aluminium.

Nah. It's nickel. There were a few razors that had such meticulous prep work, and thick enough plating, it was easy to believe they were rhodium plated. The 58 set is one, and so were the old Senator razors. Here's a photo of my Senator. Just look at that shine!
_3%207_zps3zpvumko.jpg

In the forties and fifties, the American plating quality took a nosedive, but the British razors' plating quality didn't dip until the sixties, maybe even the seventies.
@SeanC hit it right on the head about the aluminium models. They are fairly easy to spot. But just for a lark, you could always toss the razor on the kitchen scale. If it weighs between 68 and 72 grams, it's not aluminium.

Very interesting. I've never doubted until now, having read it in a number of sources and having seen the plating close-up that the #58 was rhodium plated. Your recent gem about the #58 being an Aristocrat Junior adds further weight as that series are indeed nickel plated; albeit very well plated. Just goes to show what you can do with nickel if time and skill are given to the finish.

The #51 and #53 Aristocrat Juniors are others with a similar finish, although just on the heads and necks. I was aware that these are indeed nickel plated, but there is definitely some confusion

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom