Rocket v Superspeed

Some great knowledge (again) being shared :) Cheers all (especially to PLANofMAN and Uncle Bertie). Interesting reading. I have a great SS black handle (Black Beauty??? It's not a Super Adjustable) from 1969 and the black enameled handle is in great condition as it the head. Just a little plate loss on the neck of the handle between the enameled part and the head.

It's a great shaver, but not quite as great as the modern Tech I now have (Thanks Dan :) ). I'm guessing that the engineering involved getting a vintage TTO to align and hold a blade down as well as a "typical" 3-piece safety razor is less likely due to multiple components being subject to more wear over time? I do have a modern TTO cheapie (Timor) that has obvious blade alignment issues that you can see it clearly, but it still gives an ok shave.

It's a shame that you can't weigh an e-bay photo or description that may help truly identify a poorly described vintage razor :p

Happy hunting all.

Another factor, as regards longevity, is that the American Super-Speed razors can be rejuvenated whereas the Rocket razors cannot if the head crimp comes loose. At least that's the way I understand it. The British used a special crimping tool to fasten the heads, surely as it was more expedient.

Another factor, as regards longevity, is that the American Super-Speed razors can be rejuvenated whereas the Rocket razors cannot if the head crimp comes loose. At least that's the way I understand it. The British used a special crimping tool to fasten the heads, surely as it was more expedient.
That sounds right, I've had two razors where the TTO went wappy, they were both Rockets.

UB, you could probably fix them by whipping up a makeshift crimping tool. The easiest way is to buy a set of wire stripping pliers and bore/drill out the larger hole until it is say 0.005" under the diameter of where the razor head meets the handle. Pad your hole with some duct tape and then apply a crimp. You'll know when it works as the razor head will be stable. This is an old trick used in the past to crimp old blackpowder ctgs. that used a 'heel' base bullet when reloading.

Last edited:
UB, you could probably fix them by whipping up a makeshift crimping tool. The easiest way is to buy a set of wire stripping pliers and bore/drill out the larger hole until it is say 0.005" under the diameter of where the razor head meets the handle. Pad your hole with some duct tape and then apply a crimp. You'll know when it works as the razor head will be stable. This is an old trick used in the past to crimp old blackpowder ctgs. that used a 'heel' base bullet when reloading.
I successfully used a large flathead screwdriver to re-crimp a #16, rotating it to get an all round seal

I think the rockets are better made and more efficient. The superspeeds are lighter and a little milder. Currently using flare tip rocket. Lovely. Ball end tech also a great shave.

I can't see a match at that weight. Perhaps it is part aluminium, but that's a complete guess.

Definitely strange as the weight is the same as the standard Rocket, but the physical form is like a HD/LD. The part aluminium HD weighs in at 57g, so no match there.

@Holyzeus it might be worth checking your scales are calibrated or giving a try on another set

Back
Top Bottom