S.O.T.D. Saturday 15th June to Friday 21th June 2013 ...

SATURDAY MORNING

Prep: Cold rinse
Razor: Kai Excelia
Blade: Feather Proguard
Brush: Semogue OC Boar
Soap: Klar Kabinett\Wilkinson Sword stick - scuttle lathered
EDT: Pens Castile

GENTLEMEN, HOLD THE FRONT PAGE

Today is the first day I managed a full three pass Kamisori shave and:

A - didn't cut myself to ribbons
B - I got a pretty smooth finish. Not BBS all over, but a very good DFS

I felt very pleased at the end, like I'd reached a milestone of some sort.

Celebrated with lashings of what I think is my favourite Pens scent before going down to Torquay seafront to drool over the supercar show they had on (Pagani Zonda F was my own personal highlight).

3beo.jpg

Finished off the Geo F Trumper Coconut oil. Weak scent and average performance - won't be buying again. First try of a Bolzano (thanks The Geordie Shaver), jury still out - a times it felt wonderfully smooth but at others very draggy. Also first use of the Steve Woodhead Suribachi bowl and New Forest 1901 - both outstanding.

Pretty good shave overall but too red down my neck.

Todays Shave

5a06.jpg

Ever-Ready Shovelhead (The LU-LU Razor)
Gem Blade
NSS Arabian Nights
Kent BK8
Suribachi Bowl

Old Spice Splash

BSS WTG :heart:

Godrej limes shaving cream
Henk walnut silvertip
Fatboy on 4 with Schick Ultra Platinum (7)
Superdrug Forest Fresh a/s

Some irritation. Might be pushing the blade. May retire it during Monday's shave (tomorrow I will be trying other Schick blades I'm getting for Father's Day)

merkur hd
flying eagle
muhle silvertip fibre
nannys rasage traditionnel soap
pashana AS/ 444

a quick 'itll do' whizz round. didnt really need to shave as i used the r41 last night, think itll be the last time i do consecutive nights as my face doesnt agree with it. the flies are liking the pashana at the moment :-/

After the usual 1-2 minute hot towel prep:

Nothing new set up wise this morning. Same old razor/blade combo with Safari soap. Only odd thing was using this blade for 16 shaves. Just now starting to drag a little bit. Not pull.....just a little resistance. Still feels like it could go farther but why? We'll see what happens the next shave. Pretty crazy blade.

BBS results,

Martin

First shave with a Gillette Slim. It didn't take long for me to start looking into older razors :angel:

Got it for a very reasonable price, so not expecting miracles. Cleaned it up and gave it a polish, turned out pretty good. A few places worn on the top of the head and numbers colour is gone.

Wasn't sure what's the best way of shaving with a vintage razor for the first time, so went carefully. :icon_razz: (I was worried it may be out of line or something)

Prep Mr Glo
Brush Frank Shaving Finest Badger
Cream TOBS Sandlewood
Blade Israeli Made
Alum block
Nivea Sensitive Lotion

3 passes all straight down with settings 1,2 then 3. No catastrophies, so razor is usable.
Not the best of shaves with only shaving in 1 direction. And I probably need practice getting the angle correct with it.
1 bit of irritation discovered with the alum, shaved over without adding more cream :icon_rolleyes:

Razor felt great in my hand, very comfortable. Could become my go to razor if I get the setting and angle nailed.

Prep: Cold Water Splash
Razor: English Aristocrat #16
Blade: Astra SP (2)
Brush: Neep 26mm (48mm Loft) Stone Extra Silvertip #1283
Soap: Proraso Menthol
Aftershave: Speick Splash

A very nice, 2 pass, cold water, face lather shave.

Evening, everybody.

Saturday:

Prep: Claus Porto's Lime-oil face soap
Razor: Yuma, shimmed
Blade: Dorco 300 (1)
Brush: The Soap Shed Super Badger
Shave soap: Kiss My face unscented
A/S: Ricardo l'Homme Sport
Cologne: Ricardo L'Homme Sport

Very nice and smooth start to a new shave week.

Prep: Hot shower
Brush and espresso tamper: Rod Neep Pensoftheforest/Richard aka Geezer, in Desert Ironwood
Razor: Mappin and weebs Shilling razor in UkRobs custom scales
Soap: Nannys Eucalyptus
AS: Mennen Skin Bracer
Strops: Neil Miller
Result: Very, very clean indeed :D

I'm so happy to have this brush and tamper, it's been a transatlantic shaving pal project, Richard aka Geezer from the US bought the wood and turned an excellent tamper base in stainless steel (I had a really good tamper, but this one's better, which is strange, but true) and Rod Neep in England turned the handle for the tamper and made me a brush from the same piece, the brush was a bonus, but it turned out extremely well and it's the first brush to reach the same level of goodness as my Polo 8 and Chubby 3 in two band. Cheers guys!! :D

... and of course an espresso shot packed with my new tamper:

Yesterday evening as we were going out to dinner with friends I shaved a little earlier than normal when we are travelling, but I have to comment on two aspects of the shave.

Firstly bowl (or in this case big cup) lathering I'm a convert and many thanks to you all for the tips last week .
Secondly the Israeli Persona blades last shave was my 6th from that blade, this is new territory for me and now some 16 hours later it is still acceptable to the touch except ATG. Anyone else found that they last very well or is it just a one off?

So overall from my cheap as chips travel kit I'm more than happy so far. I used the last of the Ingram's last night so it's time to open the Lea Crema de afeitar.

One final point and I have kept this back until all the Ingram's was used, as mentioned by others I got no menthol from it at all.

Sunday 16th June

Prep: Hot shower, face scrub.
Brush: Omega 10065.
Cream: Groomed cream- face lathered.
Razor: EJ89 Barley
Blade: Rapira Swede- single shim.
Post: Witch hazel, Steves Barbershop Bay Rum, RSC post shave balm.

Lovely shave today, this blade feels even better on the third shave, so smooth. I'll keep at it a few more shaves and see how it goes. Happy Father's Day to any Dads out there.

Fathers Day Shave

Shower & 3P Cream
Vulfix 404
Castle Forbes Lime Shaving Cream
Merkur 39c Slant
Gillette Yellow (2)
Witch Hazel
Castle Forbes Lime ASB

3 days growth gone effortlessly

Now off on my travels with my Progress

Saturday night

Myrsol emulsion
Proraso pre
New forest 1901
TOBS Avacado
Merkur 39c slant - pass around
Feather blade (1)
Alum and witch hazel gel
Superdrug forest fresh after shave
Sexpistols EDT

First time With the slant and.....I like it!!! Anne got me lying around they don't use and want to sell? Very good finish and effortless

Simon

Prep Pre Shave
TFS Azancio Amaro
EJ Best
EJ Handle & Top Plate Merkur 15 OC Base Plate
Treet Platinum
Witch Hazel Gel.

That seemed to work very well. Bit more weight to the standard Merkur meant a
very nice two pass shave.

Back
Top Bottom