S.O.T.D. Saturday 17th June to Friday 23rd June 2017

Well what a crap shave that was.

Evening gents, I normally write up my reports in the morning for an evening shave, but I have a bit of spare time so here I am!

First shave with the Rocnel GEM, as my comments earlier state, the loading on the Rocnel is a faff and unnecessary. No bones about it, it's just not required and there's a scratch already on the head testament to that fact, it's fiddily and mistakes are likely to happen. Here's the pic to show what I mean. I saw this and took it slowly when loading,making sure I lined the blade up with the slot, but even then it's not a guaranteed one and done. The most finicky razor head to load I've ever used. Also to have to unscrew the handle and unscrew the actual grub screw before you can get the blade out is ludicrous. Add the fact you can't dismantle the head to clean it, well I think I've said enough about the design, you all know how I feel.

img_20170620_180301-jpg.13670

So, the shave. I pulled out the MDC and my Cadman Finest brush. Both perform well for me, no complaints with either today.

Lathered up and ready to go, I start the first pass. Angle is easy to find and it starts off quite well, not a huge amount of blade feel and it seems to be wiping away the stubble (3 days growth) with ease. Get to the side of my mouth and feel a little prick on my lip, what the heck, blood, I look again at the head to ensure blade alignment is correct. It looks fine, but because the razor doesn't use blade stops it's almost like the blade floats above the open comb. This in turn, if not using straight strokes, means that any sort of angle with the head has the corner of the blade exposed. At least I think that's the case. I'm fairly certain the blade was aligned correctly. As I said, I took the blade out and reinserted it just to be sure. Well I finish the first pass and have a look at my handy work. Little spots of blood are dotted around my face. Not good. Rinse off, take the blade out again and reinsert once more. Finish the second pass. More spots of blood, irritation on my neck and a couple of almost "scrape" like marks. Not a good look. The actual finish is reasonable, if you go on feel alone, instead of sight!

I'm not looking forward to using this razor again. I will use it again, because I want to know if this was a one off or not, but it's not a good start... At least I like the picture!

img_20170620_190218-01-jpeg.13669

I haven't tried this head using its dodgy dedicated top cap (made by Pearl, sold currently as PAA Symmetry) but with the nice SABI/Matador/Boss cap and perfect alignment this cheapy is a top razor. Closer (for me) on the first two passes than the R41-13 and Rockwell on 6, and if not as smooth as the Shake Sharp or Rockwell it's still a pleasure to use. One oil application for 2 passes near BBS, a final application for clean ups. Don't even mind being up at 4:30.
a29512773c509d2246f31512feb9694d.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Sotd - Tuesday 20/6

Razor - Gillette Slim Aristocrat G4 (4)
Blade - Lodz Polsilver (3)
Brush - Chubby 2 Best
Soap - Truefitt & Hill No. 10
Post - Witch hazel
A/S - Alcolado glacial
Balm - Vifrex gel.

Result - great. It's hot - too hot. I'm Scottish - if I don't leave the house wearing a Goretex and fleece I feel naked. I haven't slept properly for days. My sympathies go to those of you further south in Britain - you are at least 10' - if not more - worse off. Thanks to whoever here reminded me of this cream. I haven't used it in months - if not years. In terms of bang for your buck - it's up there for me. If I remember correctly - it's made by Creightons in Peterborough for T&H. They seem to have regular sales of this line on their website. Check it out. I've never paid full price for it. The post shave feel is superb and the slickness is well - slick. One of the few soaps I use that I have to be careful about properly drying my hands in between passes - for fear of the razor slipping out of my hand. Not good with bare feet. Health and safety. I was going to use the matching No. 10 balm but it's so hot - did I say that? Menthol - had to be a menthol finish. A splash of Alcolado and then Vifrex gel. I'm much more comfortable. Top end shave. Using a razor that's older than me. A gift from a former work colleague that knew I was into wet shaving. It was his father-in-laws daily razor for decades. He certainly looked after it, it's not far off mint. It looks and performs beautifully. The Vifrex gel doesn't get mentioned much around here but if you are into your menthol it's worth a look. Very cooling - absorbs quickly. You can get it from Connaught in the UK. Enjoy your shaves - I.

Sotd - Tuesday 20/6

The Vifrex gel doesn't get mentioned much around here but if you are into your menthol it's worth a look. Very cooling - absorbs quickly. You can get it from Connaught in the UK. Enjoy your shaves - I.

+1 on the Vifrex. I used it yesterday. I usually use a pea sized dollop mixed with Witchhazel,,,,or as yesterday Osage rub. Took about five minutes for my eyes to clear...and it absorbs much quicker.

+1 on the Vifrex. I used it yesterday. I usually use a pea sized dollop mixed with Witchhazel,,,,or as yesterday Osage rub. Took about five minutes for my eyes to clear...and it absorbs much quicker.

@culcreuch - Vifrex mixed with Osage - oooft. As they say in the Scottish vernacular. Snottery beak? My face, my face - I can't feel my face. I

Off topic - one of my best friends' mum is Ulster born and bred - the full Belfast fry-up is truly a life shortening event.
Coronary-wise. You wouldn't eat again for the rest of the day certainly. I was always grateful for it. I.
Continuing off topic. We have round sausages and square potato cakes. You have square sausage and round potato cakes. 'Nuff said....promise to go back on topic!

image.jpg SOTD Wednesday 21st June

I could not sleep because of the heat so.....4.45am I got up for a shower, well that's my prep done so may as well have a shave too!

Razor....Gibbs adjustable set to 4 (1954)
Blade....Polsilver Stainless ( lodz Poland )
Soap.....SV Tundra Artica
Brush....Brad Sears - Gonzo
Post....BBA post shave balm
Scent....English Lavender Cologne spray by Norfork Lavender Co

A good shave, feeling refreshed and smelling great, now for a cup of camomile tea....very nice. :)

I hope you all have a nice day :)

Definetly menthol weather...

Pre - Proraso M&E
Soap - Proraso M&E
Brush - RazoRock Disrupter 22mm
Face lather
Razor - 1938-41 Gillette Fat Handle Tech (U.S.)
Blade - 7 o' Clock Yellow
Post - Proraso M&E Pre-shave
Smell (surprise, surprise) - Proraso M&E a/s

I don't often use the pre-shave postly, but it works in the warmer weather. For those that have tried OSP's menthol and eucalyptus soap and Proraso, how do they compare in terms of cooling-ness?

View attachment 26207 SOTD Wednesday 21st June

I could not sleep because of the heat so.....4.45am I got up for a shower, well that's my prep done so may as well have a shave too!

Razor....Gibbs adjustable set to 4 (1954)
Blade....Polsilver Stainless ( lodz Poland )
Soap.....SV Tundra Artica
Brush....Brad Sears - Gonzo
Post....BBA post shave balm
Scent....English Lavender Cologne spray by Norfork Lavender Co

A good shave, feeling refreshed and smelling great, now for a cup of camomile tea....very nice. :)

I hope you all have a nice day :)
Heat woke you up.It was thunder storm in NE

Back
Top Bottom