S.O.T.D. Saturday 17th June to Friday 23rd June 2017

iX42WjJ.jpg

Santa Maria del Fiore Sapone da Barba shaving soap by RazoRock is simply an outstanding soap that is unlike any other I have used!! I cannot recommend it enough. The Gillette Goal SP from China may be equaled by one from Russia, but none is better at least for my face. Fantastic blade!!

I've just had one of my best all time shaves. Possibly Top 5 territory.
Everything went well all at the same time, and the feeling is great!

wilko coconut and vanilla body butter
Truefitt & Hill No10 cream
RazoRock 400 Plissoft Noir
Merkur 37c/Shark SS (2)
Homemade witch hazel/tea tree
Proraso Green ASL

Three faultless passes executed, and every stroke was a pleasure.
The 95p body butter worked some kind of magic, and it complemented the scent of the No 10 very well. I'll be using it regularly in future.
The Shark blade was on its second outing, having used it in my DE89 yesterday.
Paired with the 37c it was the perfect definition of sooth and efficient.
The 37C is definitely my favourite razor. It's much smoother than the DE89, and more predictable than the Futur.
I will be using the same set up tomorrow to see if I can replicate today's insanely great shave!

I used exactly the same set up as yesterday's shave, and achieved the same excellent result.
The No10 is already a top performer, with excellent cushioning and glide, but aided further by the Wilko body butter.
The Shark blade has seen three, three pass shaves and is still very sharp, although I will retire it after four outings.
A nice smooth blade, and quite a pairing with the 37c.

Back to work tomorrow after a week off. Not looking forward to working in this current weather.

Sunday 18th June 2017
SOTD 18th june.jpg
Pre Shave: Hot Shower, L'Oreal Pure Power Face Wash and Bloom Water
Razor: Ever Ready 1924
Blade: GEM Stainless Coated (#1)
Brush: Kent BLK4
Soap: P&B Pall Mall prototype
AS: Penhaligons Blenheim Bouquet Lotion and EDT

Another great and interesting shave today, after trying the V60 prototype from Phoenix and Beau yesterday, today I tried out the Pall Mall prototype. The scent of this soap is much more traditional to my mind, it reminds me of DR Harris Windsor or Penhaligons Blenheim Bouquet, not that it smells just like them but more that it smells like something they might produce if you like, but still with that P&B style. And yes it smells wonderful, Kerry described it as, Lemon, neroli, bergamot, lavender, oakmoss and petigrain. Our interpretation of the staple barbershop scent, we've gone for a profile that gives a relaxing shave.

Well it certainly delivers scent wise, and it delivers a fine shave too, I bloomed the soap with a little warm water in my horn bowl whilst I showered and I easily got enough lather for 3 passes using the Kent BLK4 brush. Pall Mall is definitely on my shopping list when it becomes available.

First shave with the 1924 and I am very impressed, some say that you need to shim these to get the best out of them with a modern blade, well if shaving without a shim is this good then I can't wait to try it with a shim. The noise it makes is loud, being a first shave with this razor I took it easy but it was very easy to get the angle. Only slight niggle was the handle length, while I don't mind a short handle this one is maybe too short, that said it all worked fine, super smooth shave and very very close, with no irritation.

Thanks

I've read them both and still don't get it. Definitely not the second link....

Thanks for trying though....
Hi I added a third link, this may help.

Basically old SE razors like the 1912 razors used thicker carbon blades with thicker spines, modern SE blades are thinner. The result is that a modern SE blades sits at a slightly different angle in the razor due to its reduced thickness, by using a shim as detailed here: http://www.razors.click/Shimming/ returns the geometry of the new blade in the old razor to be more like that of an old blade in the old razor.

@riverrun and @Fergiebilly did I get that right?

Last edited:
Hi I added a third link, this may help.

Basically old SE razors like the 1912 razors used thicker carbon blades with thicker splines, modern SE blades are thinner. The result is that a modern SE blades sits at a slightly different angle in the razor due to its reduced thickness, by using a shim as detailed here: http://www.razors.click/Shimming/ returns the geometry of the new blade in the old razor to be more like that of an old blade in the old razor.

@riverrun and @Fergiebilly did I get that right?[/QUOTE]

Back
Top Bottom