S.O.T.D. Saturday 18th March to Friday 24th March 2017

o600op.jpg

Brush: Vie Long 04503
Razor: Gillette Rocket HD w/ Gillette Silver Blue (2)
Soap: Calani Oriental Plum

First use of the Vie Long, the lather wasn't the best as expected for a first use, the brush does smell but after the initial application of lather I didn't notice it during the shave. It will be a great brush when broken in, the lather is applied very well using brush strokes, made sure to give it a comb after use. Really good shave with the Rocket and GSB, not a fan of them usually but the past two shaves have been very very good. A hard soap to pair, so went with a classic.

Prep: Hot shower and L'Oréal charcoal face wash
Pre: King of Shaves oil
Razor: General SE
Razor blade: Kai Pro Guard MG
Brush: LS Finest 30mm
Bowl: Little Wren Pottery
Cream T&H Grafton
Post: Thayers Witch Hazel and Fine ‘Platinum' aftershave.

First time with the Kai blades, which were kindly sent by James AKA @Acer89 from the other place.
It was smooth but not very sharp. I had to go over a few areas a number of times to get a close enough shave and I did have some redness on my top lip. I did have a good shave, it just took a few extra passes to get there.

I used the Fine aftershave for the first time in a long time, what a face feel. I'd forgotten just how good this stuff is.

Have a good day Gents.
Cheers
Rob

Cream T&H Grafton

First time with the Kai blades, which were kindly sent by James AKA @Acer89 from the other place.
It was smooth but not very sharp. I had to go over a few areas a number of times to get a close enough shave and I did have some redness on my top lip. I did have a good shave, it just took a few extra passes to get there.

I used the Fine aftershave for the first time in a long time, what a face feel. I'd forgotten just how good this stuff is.

Have a good day Gents.
Cheers
Rob
Good photo Rob. Nice setup also.

Tuesday...

Soap - Tabac Original
Brush - RazoRock Plissoft 24mm synth.
Face lather
Razor - Gillette Slim Adj. 1967 (6)
Blade - Astra SP (4)
Post - Thayer's
Smell - Tabac Original a/s

Old school today. Smooth as you like and smelling good. Excellent combo between soap, brush, razor, blade and finish.

No photo due to lack of time.

Cream T&H Grafton

Have a good day Gents.
Cheers
Rob

During my short usage of the General that I borrowed, I found that the Kai Captain Titan Pro Touch blades performed much better than Feathers. If you haven't already, I'd suggest you try them.
Nice photo.

First time using a B&M soap and it definitely lived up to the hype.

The post shave feel was amazing, I could have got away with not using any other product.

The soap is really thirsty and the lather dried on my face at first, but once I got it dialed in, the performance was top notch.

Really impressed, and a fantastic shave. Up there with the fat and xpec.

32756302533_88ca1d8425_c.jpg

B&M 'Seville' soap - bloomed
Fine lathering bowl
Proraso eucalyptus & menthol pre shave cream/ bloom water
Simpson Chubby 2 best badger
Razorock black hawk w/ Feather pro guard blade (3)
Post shave: rinse > alum block > rinse > Thayers cucumber witch hazel > Nivea sensitive post shave balm

21/03/2017:

Niazi 5/8 Solingen, 1908.
Razorock synth.
P&B Spitfire.
Alum.
Extro Pirate a/s.

A so-so shave today. I forgot how much I enjoyed using the Niazi, perhaps a little too much as you'll read later... Lather was quick and wholesome. Started off using a bowl but quickly switched to face lathering as said bowl doesn't have much resistance to help build a lather. Face was white in a matter of seconds and I dialled in the water perfectly (subjective). Razor was stropped prior to use and, unfortunately, my prep before the shave left a little to be desired. I would have liked more time but unfortunately it wasn't of the essence tonight.

Onto the bad bit... I played around with my angles a little bit, and found one which gave a lovely, noisy response as it whittled down my neck hair. Unfortunately, I feel I've overdone it a little on the front of my neck, which I attempted to tidy up... I was going for the 'buffed shoes' approach which, I now realise, was a mistake. I noted a single weeper only at the front of my neck, post shave, and didn't feel anything untoward during the shave, however, after the 2.5 passes (2x with the grain, with touch ups), I rinsed... no issue. I wetted my alum block, creating a faux-slurry with my thumb on the surface and... yowzer... bit me like a rabid dog. Nigh on instantly the front (but not the sides) of my neck started turning red and I rinsed off the alum, patted dry and applied some Extro Pirate. The aftershave also bit me, but not nearly to the same extent as the alum.

All-in-all, I'll be giving it a nice few days (probably shaving my neck Saturday next) to give me a chance to heal from my mistakes. The Extro Pirate is an interesting concoction - I will be reviewing it within the next 24 hours.

Noswaith da pawb - good evening all.

Back
Top Bottom