S.O.T.D. Saturday 21th January to Friday 27th January 2017

Thank you for enjoying my pictures. I am a straight razor collector and collect them since 2000. My collection counts 298 razors of which 29 are Mastro Livi razors. I of course purchased each one of them in the course of the time and I tend using his razors and brushes most of the times because I simply think they are the best ones capable of giving a very satisfactory shave. When I started purchasing Mastro Livi razors I progressively, I should say, naturally, stopped using the other razors because, in my opinion, they are better than any other razor I have in my collection.
Thanks very much for answering. Wow, that's an impressive number of Straight Razors! Great to see you've found the ones you love. Look forward to more pictures in the future :)

Thursday...

Soap - Cella Olio di Mandorla
Brush - Semogue 1470 boar
Face Lather
Razor - Fatip Piccolo
Blade - Astra SP
Post - Thayer's and Floïd MV

A lovely shave from the Piccolo this morning. 2 day's whiskers mowed down with no effort and the Astra performed beautifully with the Cella. I now only own 2 'bought from new' razors: the Merkur 34C and the Piccolo. I have to say that the Piccolo wins hands down. Exercising common sense precautions results in tremendous shaves.

The accolade of favourite vintage DE competes between 2 Gillettes: the 1938-41 Fat Handle Tech and the 1967 Slim Adjustable.

20170126_113146.jpg

Thursday's shave -

Pre-shave - warm shower, Wright's cold-tar soap.
Razor - Muhle Rocca R96.
Blade - Gillette Silver Blue (day 2).
Soap - Proraso Eucalyptus & Menthol Soft Shaving Soap.
Brush - Simpsons Duke 2.
Post shave - Myrsol "Plastic Shave" After Shave Massage.

A one pass shave today, very little time this morning. Still very pleased with the results.

The Muhl is continuing to deliver excellent, efficient shaves. I am not sure if the Gillette Silver Blue is giving me a slightly better shave in comparison to the Astra (Green) SPs that I first used with the Rocca.

All the best

Colonial "The General" head + iKon 90mm handle, Feather Artist ProGuard (#8).
BSB 400 Silvertip.
Valobra Menthol in traditional Greek 'yoghurt' clay pot.
Klar 'Klassik' after shave.
The Art of Shaving after shave lotion (i.e. light balm).

N50vYKY.jpg

Thur 26th Jan

Omega s10065 synthetic
OSP Bay Rum
Supply S/S Se - 3 dot plate
Personna [ 1 ]
Alum Rub/Rinse off
Floid Vigoroso A/S Lotion

My first outing with a Personna for some time. Loaded very easily into this Razor.
Felt very smooth , but no blade feel of significance. The smoothness was disconcerting as it gave a false impression that the Shave was going well. Despite
my best efforts, I was unable to get a nice close Shave, so was rather disappointed.

Such a setup may well suit someone with a light beard growth, but for me the so called aggressive plate with this blade is not up to scratch. Maybe a couple more outings will confirm this beyond doubt.

IMG_1133.jpg

Thursday 26th January 2017

SOTD 26th Jan.JPG

Pre Shave: Hot Shower, Bulldog Face Wash and Proraso Red
Razor: Merkur 45C
Blade: Personna Super Med Prep (#3)
Brush: Kent BLK4
Cream: L'Occitane Cade
AS: Nivea Replenishing Balm

Still impressed with the super light Merkur 45C for me I would rate it slightly better than my Gillette Techs but not quite as good as as the Fatip Piccolo.

Razor: Gillette Super Speed Black Handle Flare Tip (P1)
Blade: Gillette Platinum (2)
Brush: WDC-7 Olivewood Handle, Silvertip
Soap: Route 66 Casablanca
Aftershave: Floid Blue
To my understand the Route 66 Casablanca is no longer available. To bad in my opinion. I really like this soap. I started off with the Olivewood Silvertip, but as there was more hairs flying than in a cat fight I switched to Tom White's Nylon 3D Printer brush with the Faux Horsehair Extra Dense Synthetic, which whipped up a great lather. I recently changed the knot in this brush and the AP Shave Co. Faux Horsehair was the only 22 mm knot that I had.
Start:
26 01 17.jpg
Change:
26 01 17c.jpg

Back
Top Bottom