S.O.T.D. Saturday 22nd April to Friday 28th April 2017

Sunday Shave
Stirling Syn. 26mm
MWF
Ever Ready " Jewel" - aka Streamline.
Gem S/S [ 1]
Alum Rub/Rinse off
Tabac A/S Lotion

Moving away from Modern SE/Injectors, went back to Gem Power. Was rather a nice change, as I personally find that more concentration and correct technique is required to get a good shave
from the Vintage Razors, the modern Razors do provide a good shave but feel a bit clinical.

As I post this SOTD on Monday morning, I know the shave was good as the reduced amount of beard growth tells me that. The only downer was that I got a nick, by getting rather over zealous
with polishing up work.

IMG_1257.jpg

Sunday 23Rd April shave

EJ 89 with a new Derby blade
Truefitt & Hill No10 cream
Mason & Pearson pure badger
Nivea post shave balm
Mont Blanc Legend aftershave(applied to back of neck to avoid stinging)
Three passes and no cuts. Still razor burn on the neck though, even after pass one in direction of growth.
Any suggestions for how to avoid this will be gratefully received.
My first time with the DE89. First pass didn't remove much, could be the Derby blade isn't the best match for this razor?
What @Digimonkey said. Derby blades tend to be awful with me too. The 89 tends to be classified as on the 'mild'side; so perhaps try a more assertive blade(s)? Also, don't skip out on the prep in the neck area. Make sure it's well hydrated too. You might want think about a pre-shave: Proraso, for instance.

HTH.

Sunday 23Rd April shave

EJ 89 with a new Derby blade
Truefitt & Hill No10 cream
Mason & Pearson pure badger
Nivea post shave balm
Mont Blanc Legend aftershave(applied to back of neck to avoid stinging)
Three passes and no cuts. Still razor burn on the neck though, even after pass one in direction of growth.
Any suggestions for how to avoid this will be gratefully received.
My first time with the DE89. First pass didn't remove much, could be the Derby blade isn't the best match for this razor?
@Paul L , the neck area is probably the most sensitive area you're likely to shave and causes problems for many. A couple of suggestions: Derby blades might not be helping your cause, maybe try Astra instead (smooth, forgiving blades) and/or get a small sample pack of different blades to see which work better/best for you. At first, aim for a comfortable shave rather than the closest possible shave. Most importantly, use minimal pressure, as if you're only removing lather instead of trying to remove whiskers. Good luck :)

HcDWtBLh.png

Been a while since I've unscrewed the lid on my tub of Greek Peach. Damn this soap is so good!

Thank you Scotshave and Digimonkey , I will try an Astra or Wilkinson sword blade in the DE89 for my next shave.
I was hovering over the buy it now tab on some proraso pre shave on Saturday when I was distracted by the dog and it went out of my mind! I'll get some ordered ASAP.

image.jpg SOTD 24th April

Razor...Brass General
Blade...Feather Pro #3
Soap...Barrister and Mann Leviathan
Brush...BSSW Gonzo
Post..Thayers lavender
Edp...Oud 24 Hours

My third use of this razor and I am loving the great shave it gives, the wide head made quick work of mowing down the stubble leaving me as smooth as I like to be after a shave. Great razor/blade, great brush and great soap, what could go wrong.....

Have a good day people.......:)

Last edited:
Morning gents,

Yesterday's shave with the Tradere pass around razor. It was also my first use of the Maesto Finest shaving brush. Very nice brush it is as well. Lathered up with Wickhams 1912 Le Blue. It picked up enough soap for a two pass shave (just) with a 30 second loading time. The tips are soft, there's enough backbone, feels good in use. Not my best brush, but I'm still very happy with it.

The razor I loaded with a new Astra Superior Platinum blade. It is smooth and efficient, plain and simple. The handle I initially thought was a little large and heavy. That was unfounded as in use it is comfortable and nicely weighted. It was easy to find the right cutting angle and it worked through a few days growth easily. First time in a few shaves that I can truly say I finished DFS (@Fergiebilly and his dolphins, not damn fine shave) pretty much all over as I'm not at that level with my straight shaves yet!

Hope you all had a lovely weekend and this week treats you kindly!

img_20170423_161532-01-jpeg.11067

Monday Morning;

Snapseed.jpg

As above, really! A very good shave with a brand new Wilkinson Sword blade. I whipped up a glorious lather with the Maseto, half a minute loading a slightly dampened brush gave me plenty of room to protect myself. Two passes with absolutely no pressure and some minor touch-ups. No irritation, one minuscule nick/weeper which stopped itself within about 5 seconds. All up, a very respectable shave with my first true outing with the Wilkinson Sword DE and the Maseto 30mm. A couple of slightly missed patches of stubble which didn't present themselves while my neck was wet (I touch up my neck and cheeks only, as I look about 13 without a beard), but I can tackle them again tomorrow! I have no hesitations trying again tomorrow as I'm not raw in the slightest. P&B Sanskrit performed admirably, as to be expected and Wickham Citrus Musk bit me a little, again as to be expected. I feel lovely after this one and I can see exactly why people would use a DE as a daily shaver! :D My SR's will be reserved for the weekends and my DE (soon to be DE's) will be used during the week, I'd imagine!

Have a good Monday, folks.

Monday Morning;

Snapseed.jpg

As above, really! A very good shave with a brand new Wilkinson Sword blade. I whipped up a glorious lather with the Maseto, half a minute loading a slightly dampened brush gave me plenty of room to protect myself. Two passes with absolutely no pressure and some minor touch-ups. No irritation, one minuscule nick/weeper which stopped itself within about 5 seconds. All up, a very respectable shave with my first true outing with the Wilkinson Sword DE and the Maseto 30mm. A couple of slightly missed patches of stubble which didn't present themselves while my neck was wet (I touch up my neck and cheeks only, as I look about 13 without a beard), but I can tackle them again tomorrow! I have no hesitations trying again tomorrow as I'm not raw in the slightest. P&B Sanskrit performed admirably, as to be expected and Wickham Citrus Musk bit me a little, again as to be expected. I feel lovely after this one and I can see exactly why people would use a DE as a daily shaver! :D My SR's will be reserved for the weekends and my DE (soon to be DE's) will be used during the week, I'd imagine!

Have a good Monday, folks.
Maesto brothers :D I find myself using SRs more at the weekend when I have more time to commit to it, or on the rare evenings I have enough of a night to enjoy the ritual. Until I become truly proficient, then I imagine I'll be using them more often!

Maesto brothers :D I find myself using SRs more at the weekend when I have more time to commit to it, or on the rare evenings I have enough of a night to enjoy the ritual. Until I become truly proficient, then I imagine I'll be using them more often!
Exactly the same applies here, though I'm a little bit backwards in my approach in that I started with SR's and am now trying out DE's. I think I can get a quicker shave with the DE, though in my short time using one I can already see where I might be able to improve with an SR (in terms of pressure, angle etc).

The brush is a behemoth! :D I've just posted a newbie review of it so let me know what you think!

Mon 24th April

Omega s10065 syn
Blues soap
Ever Ready HFT
Gem S/S [ 5 ]
Alum Rub/Rinse off
Williams Aqua Velva A/S lotion

Today rather confirmed my views, whilst I like this Razor I do not get the closest of Shaves with it
unless I do a lot a lot of polishing up work. Might be ideal for those who have lighter growth.

IMG_1258.jpg

Back
Top Bottom