S.O.T.D. Saturday 29th April to Friday 5th May 2017

SOTD_20170503-1-813x1024.png

• Pre-Shave: Saponificio Varesino - Oil
  • Safety Razor: Merkur - 1904 (42C)
  • Blade: Voskhod
  • Shaving Brush: JZ - Bethlehem (Synthetic)
  • Shaving Bowl: Saponificio Varesino - Shaving Grail Bowl
  • Shaving Soap: Saponificio Varesino - 70th Anniversary Edition - Beta 4.1
  • Alum: De Vergulde Hand - Alum Block
  • After-Shave: Saponificio Varesino - 70th Anniversary Edition - Balm

Wed 3rd May

Omega s10065 Syn.
De Vergulde Hand
PAL S/S Adjustable-no 1
Schick "chick" [ 2 ]
Alum rub/Rinse off
Williams Aqua Velva A/S Lotion

Had to be the S/S PAL after the Supply SE , as it is a Vintage forerunner. Can always guarantee a smooth shave, but today not as close as was expected. I suspect that perhaps this razor is not as efficient as another PAL I have in my stable. Quite strange how the performance of similar
models vary, I believe that is quite a common occurrence with the S/S PALs.

IMG_1272.jpg

1445ytj.jpg

Brush: Stirling Finest Badger Fan
Razor: Parker Variant w/ Polsilver SI (2)
Soap: Williams Aqua Velva Ice Blue Shaving Cream

Second use of the Parker and felt a little tender with yesterdays micro cuts so I was very mindful of them, complete shave on setting 2. I am getting good shaves but I am not enjoying the razor, I don't find it as comfortable as the Gibbs or Super Adjustable. I will continue with it for the next few days but I don't see it as being a keeper.

The lather started out bloody awful, looked like the inside of an Aero until I beat it within an inch of its life, I think that may contribute to my lack of enthusiasm for the razor. It wasn't a bad shave but not as comfortable as what I am used to.

Wednesday...

Soap - OSP Neroli
Brush - Omega 10800 boar
Face lather
Razor - Ever Ready 1914
Blade - Gem Personna with full shim
Post - Thayer's Rose Petal and Aloe Vera
Smell - 4711 EdC

DFS today. The 1914, for me, isn't as efficient as, say, the 1924 or 1912 variants. Having said that, it did ok; especially on the 2nd XTG pass (a little more water on the brush gave a slicker lather too).

The OSP was outstanding as ever, and the Neroli notes picked up with the 4711 at the end.

ae6bb2a67fdd6cc3c05272dfda19785f.jpg

Pre: DR Harris Coconut soap, Myrsol Emulsion
Brush: Savile Row 3824 Silvertip Badger
Soap: Speick stick
Razor: Wilkinson Sword Sticky
Blade: Vintage Polsilver (3)
EdC: DR Harris Arlington

Same Bat-time, same Bat-channel, same shave kit.
Got the lather wrong tonight - was a bit dry and pasty, so the shave was not ideal. Still pretty close, but a decent crop of small weepers on my neck. Myrsol Emulsion again did a great job to save the day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Prep: Hot shower
Pre: Noxzema Cleansing cream
Soap: Speick Stick grated into tub
Bowl: Estremoz Scuttle
Brush: Omega boar 10005
Razor: Gem Junior Bar + Cadet handle
Blade: Gem (4)
After: Myrsol F./Extra AS, RSC ASB

With all this hoo-ha about modern Gem razors I've been giving my Gem razors a run out. Today's little lather-catcher is just the simplest design which works the best. Fastest loader; just slip the blade under the bar and flip the spring catch to hold the blade in place. No need for shimming shenanigans; this razor just works with modern blades.
The head is millileters larger than the actual blade which I think beats the modern SS Gem razors just on that count alone. It's lightweight, manoeuvrable, not a sharp corner in sight. Excess lather is held (caught) under the blade and it's even a doddle to rinse/wash as there are no difficult-to-reach areas when cleaning.
Main point is that it's a great, fun shaver which gives excellent results.
I tell ya, I thought this blade was a dud because I've had a bit of irritation using it with my Damaskeene, OC Micromatic and 1914 but in this razor not a problem.
Now if I were designing a modern Gem razor this would be it. My improvements would be:
  • Improve the catch so it doesn't stick up so far, as it hits the nose going North-South
  • Maybe make the back of the razor out of more springy metal to give a little flex if too much pressure is applied; but it may well be that the flex is already set at its best.
How expensive could it be? It's only stamped metal and very few moving parts.
Happy Holidays, people!

70efb73d-c09f-4334-910c-392cd72b6c10_zps018h16hl.jpg
Beautiful Razor..#salute

Back
Top Bottom