S.O.T.D. Saturday 29th April to Friday 5th May 2017

Something not quite right for me and Sapone Di Paolo soap. Not a great shave, dragged, scraped and although I can't argue with the result the shave was a bit rough.
39af775694bfeb1830e6d640f3622372.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

EJ 89L
Astra blade #3
Proraso pre shave
Ingrams cream
Freshwood balm
Brut A/S

First time using Ingrams cream.
Disappointed to see it was really runny. I leathered up a generous "dollop" of the runny goo, and it made a really thick lather. I mean REALLY thick!
I was expecting it to be really menthol scented but it wasn't .
It felt cold on my face after it was applied which was quite pleasant.
I think I've got the right angle with the DE89 now. It didn't feel like it was dragging tonight.
Three pass shave with no faults, so my technique is improving.
I find the scent to be 'soapy' if that makes sense?

SOTD 5/5/17

Hot Towel, BBA Cream, Cadman 26mm Silvertip, Muhle R41, Shark (2), Cold Rinse, BBA Face Moisturiser

Today I wanted to see if the moisturiser stands on its own without the aid of the BBA Post Shave Balm. The actual shave was completed in as grand a fashion as yesterday (read, superb), so I rinsed and applied the moisturiser. That was at 5:20am this morning and it's now 6:40am, and my face feels fantastic.

image.jpg SOTD 5th May.

Razor....Eskimogress set to 3
Blade....Personna 74 #3
Soap....OSP Lavender
Brush....SOC Badger
Pre...BBA Face Wash
Pre....BBA Shave Oil
Post ...BBA Post shave Balm
EDP....Molecule 01 ISO E Super

A great shave with my Eskimo and 74, the BBA Shave Oil plus OSP gave me plenty of protective slide and was left as smooth as I require, my skin was feeling good anyway but put some post shave balm instead of my usual Thayers and my skin feels great.
Finnished off with the 01 frag on back of neck and body...smells great.

Have a great Friday people.......:)

Last edited:
It's a great fragrance Dick. I'm interested in hearing your thoughts on Sisley scent. It's a brand I've never been able to sample.
Greetings Ross

Sisley Eau D'Ikar is quite different from anything else I have but there again I do not own anything with Mastic as the main note and I have absolutely no previous experience of this substance.

There is something familiar with the note and I have been really trying to think what it is and I think it is the smell of either Broom or Gorse I not sure which, there is a slight undertone of liquorice in the note. The top notes are entirely citrus especially lemon and Earl Grey Tea but these seem to dry down quickly and leave the mastic scent. I like it because it is different but I certainly would not pay full price for it, it is only moderate in terms of longevity and it does not have much in the way of sillage, it is IMHO suitable for all year wear but especially suitable for spring and summer.

Regards
Dick.

Morning gents,

My 13th straight shave.

Yesterday was my birthday and I'd promised the person who bought me this beautiful Max Sprecher razor as a present, that I would use it on my birthday!

So use it I did… I did use this razor once, when it first arrived over a month ago and then promised I wouldn't use it again until the day. I lathered up using two of my favourite products, my ATG Shavemac Unique and Wickham 1912 Chasmere, not much to say here because they were fantastic as usual…

Back to the razor, I struggled a little with it the first time I used it and unfortunately I struggled with it again last night. I love this razor aesthetically and the feel of it in hand, but I just struggle with the actual shave. I'm still not anywhere near proficient with a Straight Razor, but some I get on with better than others at this beginners stage that I'm at. This razor I can use just fine on my cheeks, under the nose is just about OK, the chin is nearly impossible, I can do that area with other straights, I have no idea why I can't with this razor! My neck, I got through, but I've got a fair bit of irritation and a couple of weepers… No cuts or nicks at least. I sincerely hope I learn how to use this razor properly, it means a lot to me and it's my most beautiful (and expensive) piece of shaving equipment so I will certainly be persevering!

The second pass was also a first for me for the last year! I didn't have any blades in the bathroom and I didn't want to disturb my sleeping lady, banging around getting a new pack of blades, I did however have a brand new Cornerstone Cartridge Razor. I haven't used a cartridge, like I said, for a year, so I picked it up with some trepidation. Well, I was reasonably pleasantly surprised. It did the job, without adding to any irritation, not the smoothest finish, but it was reasonable. My neck is still quite red this morning in places and I imagine I'm going to have a few ingrown hairs which are a real pain in the bum. Never mind. All in all, not the best birthday shave, but hey-ho, I had a lovely evening regardless and look forward to this evening and the weekend where there are a few more things planned.

Enjoy the rest of your Friday gents and enjoy the weekend!

img_20170504_231422-01-jpeg.11580

13 is, to coin an old phrase, unlucky for some. ;)

It sounds like a relatively respectable shave nonetheless! If it's a slightly heavier grind it might seem counterintuitive to have the blade flatter to the skin - I've found this with my own razors, hence can see exactly why people would tend towards 1/2-hollow and full-hollow blades. It's quite easy to have some neck irritation especially when using a blade for the second time. I'm certain it'll all fall into place in good time! I'm sure you'll learn to love that beauteous razor.

Happy Birthday, May the fourth be with you and keep living in abalone dreams!

Back
Top Bottom