S.O.T.D. Saturday 4th June to Friday 10th June 2016

DS4upzKh.jpg

Such a great sparkling green scent!

Wednesday 8th
NSS - 'The Beef' - Lemon, Basil & Mandarin (Tallow test soap)
Zenith TS506 Synthetic
Face lathered
Gillette Flare Tip Rocket
w/Personna Platinum Chrome (Israeli Reds) #4
Alum > Duru Lemon Cologne
Lacura Aq Cream Moisturiser
IMG_20160607_125606e.jpg

Stupendous shave this morning. One of the best DE shaves I've had for a while. Sharon's test soap gave great slickness and protection coupled with an awesome scent. The Flare Tip and Personna Red was so efficient and easy. I agree with Mike @mpf9ret , as my shaving technique has dramatically improved shaving with GEM and Ever Ready SE's. A memorable shave.

7th June 2016
Gillette Techmatic 3254971 Patent Anniversary

Cold Water Shave

Bulldog Shower Gel
Wickham's 1912 Parma Violet
Gillette Standard w/Haryali Silvertip Synthetic
Face Lathered
Gillette Techmatic 8(1)
Single Pass - WTG (Slide)

IMG_3345_Fotor.jpg

Cold Rinse & Alum Wash
YSL Kouros Aftershave & EDT
Pinaud Clubman Hair Tonic​

Today marks the 50th anniversary of the patent granted to the much maligned Gillette Techmatic. What promise, but what a let down ... the Techmatic certainly looks the part, reputedly went into space on the Apollo 11 mission but delivers a shave somewhat lacking.

Whether that is down to the poor stock of blade reels or whether it's just a poor shave, I don't know. What I do know is I have what appears to be a decent blade reel and so having last shaved with it exactly one year ago rolled it around to a fresh piece of blade and got on with my shave ...

I am very happy with this reknotted Gillette Standard brush. I've used the knot from the Haryali synthetic brushes, which has a real badger feel. Curious, as I abhor badger but rather like this knot - it's probably the closest to badger that I've used, certainly more so than Muhle Silvertip Fibre which is the greatest contender.

I am also very happy with the taster that I've had of Wickham's 1912 line of soaps. Parma Violet is quite gorgeous! It's simple, as it should be; works really well with these vintage aromatic fougeres, first experienced with Quorum and today Kouros. Lovely! It's the powderiness, I think ...

So, the shave went okay. Here's to the Gillette Techmatic, a razor which is squarely on the esoteric pile, even for a fellow like me. There is hope, though ... I found that the nice white case (as pictured) is a prefect case for the present Gillette Guard.
The Techmatic was designed so they Didn't have to change blades in Space..Zero Gravity..Hence the Cardridge..When the USA Astronauts were Going Up with the Techmatic the Russians were Issued SRs..The Technology of the Day..o_O

Land on the Moon..Pull the Other One..:D:D

Billy

SOTD Wed. 6/8/16
Prep: Noxzema Classic
SS: Soap of The Gods Jared
SB: Semogue 620 Boar
Razor: Muhle R41/Bullgoose Black Beauty
Blade: Personna Lab Blue
ASB: Stirling Glacial Lemon Chill

Shower Soap Bar: Grandpa's Pine Tar
Cologne: 1-12 by Halston
FCWS2_zpsljqddur7.gif

Good morning friends. An effortless three pass shave today with the R41 wiping my stubble away cleanly and smoothly. The Jared soap performed very nicely as usual, this soap requires a good bit of water but works wonders with the right ratio and smells lovely. Dolphin smooth result. Have a great day guys. :)

Nae posted in here for a while so thought I'd better remedy that:

Merkur 34c, Sputnik
Hand-carved Beech 2-band
Arko Stick
Vintage Shulton Old Spice AS (Thanks, Mart!)
Astral

And, a little bit later on in the day when the lingering OS scent has all but diminished:

James Bronnley Original EdT

Grand 5th shave from this Sputnik blade despite me being sleepier than a fast asleep sleepy person.

Back
Top Bottom