S.O.T.D. Saturday 7th February to Friday 13th February 2015

VIII February MMXV Shave

15850463874_a81ceecbd7_c.jpg

Sunday 8 February 2015

Sunday 8 February 2015

192854d1423407213-sun-february-08th-sat-february-14th-sotd-08022015.jpg

Mastro Livi CarboInox, 6/8 Full Hollow, Barber's Notch

Still on the road and still having the immense pleasure of shaving with this Mastro Livi CarboInox straight razor. I like everything about this razor: the blade is simply stunning with its two steels and the blue colored damascus steel, cocobolo scales are just beautiful, the combination of light and dark colors is amazing. A splash of my Bay Rum aftershave, for a refreshing and spicy shave!​

• Pre-Shave: Roberts Distilled Rose Water
  • Soap: Aquagena Shaving Soap
  • Brush: Optim'Hom Synthetic J082
  • Bowl: Chinese Bowl
  • Strop: Mastro Livi Travel Loom Strop and Hand Palm
  • Razor: Mastro Livi CarboInox, 6/8 Full Hollow, Barber's Notch
  • Post-Shave: Argan Oil
  • After Shave: RazorGuy Bay Rum

After the usual 1-2 minute hot towel prep:

vintage butterscotch rebranded Simpsons best
Frankenrazor made of a Roller Guard Razor head stuck onna Weber long Classic handle. Loaded the vintage Perma-Sharp blade from yesterday. Razor good!!!! Fire bad!!!
vintage Lentheric SS (really nice)
Neutrogena oil-free moisture sensitive skin
Paloma Picasso 'Minotaure' EdT

Been a while since last using this head but man it was perfect today. When I first found this rolling wonder I went on a jag for about a week straight with the thing. Amazing invention.

Lets me feel like there's an open comb on my face, but much more gentle. Those deep grooves on the rollers are a kick! Made to help tame any nasty Old Type and it does that just fine.

BBS results,

Martin

Attachments

• roller guard2.jpg
    roller guard2.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 10
IMG_8841_Fotor-001.jpg

Bulldog Face Wash
Erasmic Shaving Soap
Ever Ready 581 PurTech
Durham Duplex & Personna Pathology (5)
Hot Rinse & Cold Rinse
Witch Hazel Toner
Jean Sorelle Aftershave & Cologne

Face Lathered
Two Pass - WTG & XTG

Whoo-ee! What a shave! Lots to write about here ...

First, did I ever say how much I loved the Durham Duplex system? I might well make Sundays my 'Durham Duplex Day' I enjoy the shave so much. On its 5th run, this Personna Pathology blade is now smooth and still very sharp; the first couple of runs pulled some nicks, which is very unusual for the Durham Duplex system, third, better, fourth, good, fifth, now very good. Stropping is the key here, I think, just to take the harshness off the first shaves (something I didn't do) and continuing throughout the life of the blade to prolong its use.

Second, for the last week and a half, maybe more, I've switched from alum post-shave to witch hazel and I am finding that the condition of my skin is so much better. I have quite oily skin for which I like to rely upon more alcohol aftershaves, certainly keeping away from balms; witch hazel really does seem to work out very well for me.

Third, my little Ever Ready brush is giving me such a lot of pleasure. I am so pleased with how my re-knot worked out (finally) and it really does make a great little face latherer as well as a super little bowl whipper-upper! PurTech is pretty damn soft, not quite to the present softness of Muhle, certainly not Plisson, but it's certainly soft and retains such a good strength for face lathering.

Finally, those frags. They came to me unexpectedly as part of a set of Rolls Razor bits: the aftershave is a fierce once, like Pinaud Lilac Vegetal in many ways, certainly the face numb, certainly floral, but it's not lilac it's quite green and fresh, the cologne a kind of woody spicy number, not the sweet, more fennel and anise than coriander and nutmeg, almost absinthe. As a combo, absolutely cracking! A real blast from the past and quite an experience. In the dry down, I'm left with wafts of green, fern and moss.

Smashing! What a shave!

Went and did it again. Few more $s than I should have spent. Honed her and shaved with her today. Nice shave.[attachment=13009]

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1423418616.798350.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1423418616.798350.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 15
Cold water splash
Le Père Lucien Unscented
TGN 24mm Finest in Commodore X3 handle
ATT R1 Kronos
Gillette Silver Blue (2)
Penhaligon's Opus 1870 ASB
Penhaligon's Opus 1870 EDT

Excellent shave today. All the stars aligned :D

FrankieG said:
Cold water splash
Le Père Lucien Unscented
TGN 24mm Finest in Commodore X3 handle
ATT R1 Kronos
Gillette Silver Blue (2)
Penhaligon's Opus 1870 ASB
Penhaligon's Opus 1870 EDT

Excellent shave today. All the stars aligned :D

Interestingly enough the silver blue is the most comfortable blade I've found to use in my M2 ATT.

SUNDAY EVENING

Razor: Taylors The 1000 6/8
Strop: Waterhouse linen & leather\Westholme cordovan
Brush: Semogue 2011 LE boar 2
Soap: Stirling Frozen Tundra
AS: Turkish lemon cologne
Balm: GFT sandalwood skin food

Spent a lazy hour and bit honing this today.

I've had problems in the past with it as it has a slight smile, but I reset the bevel on a glass jar, and spent ages on the 800 Naniwa until it cut arm hair along the entire length (for some reason it took a lot longer to get the heel sharp). Did predominantly circles with a few 45 degree X strokes.

Then went to the 5K, then the 8K and didn't move off the 8K until the blade passed the HHT after a strop.

Polished it on the 12K and it gave me a very nice shave tonight so I am feeling very chuffed!

On a side note I find I am rarely using DE's now but I can't bring myself to sell off my Aristocrats, Darwin, etc!

Straight razors and SEs (Mongoose\Cobra\Schick) have got me really hooked. I'm sure my many, many DE's will get an outing in the future.

Pre: Village Barber oil
Soap: CRSW Original "Bergamot & Bay"
Brush: M&F Chief, 26mm "Heritage" 2-band
Razor: Mongoose Satin w/Dr. Bomber handle
Blade: Feather Super (5)
Post: Thayer's witch hazel, followed by vintage Avon California Bay Rum
I've forgotten how good this aftershave really is. Distinctive bay rum scent but more elegant & subdued.

Monday morning:

Crown & Sword 13/16”
Simpsons Chubby 2, Best Badger
Neil Miller-2.5"Latigo Leather
Simpsons shaving cream, Café Latte
L'Occitan by L'Occitane ASB

SOTD-2015-02-09_zps40ab6032.jpg

Hot Shower

Prorasso Green Soap
Rubberset brush with Omega boat knot
Mongoose on UFO handle
Kai Captain mild (8)
Prorasso green aftershave

Early morning work shave. Finding that when a blade starts to feel past its best (as the Kai did) a wee change to something else works for me. Back to the Kai Mild blade this morning, a week later, and a great BBS shave...

Mon 9th February 2015

Neutrogena Glyc Bar
Vulfix 404 mixed
La Toja Cream
Gem MMCP
Gem Coated [ 4 ]
Alum Rub/Rinse off
Woods of Windsor A/S Balm
La Toja A/S Lotion

MMOC V Other SE {ER & Gem }
After using the OC on Sunday, the CP even on blade use 4, was easy to use and provided decent shave, with no irritation.The MMCP seems to be an ideal weekday shaver, whereas the OC is great when a close shave is required.

Back
Top Bottom