S.O.T.D w/c Saturday 27th - Friday 2nd August 2013

[attachment=8033]Hopefully that pictured attached.

My shave of the day, 9 tenths were courtesy of SmallBeard.

Shower.
Rub the Lea Shave Stick (PIF) onto face and stubble.
Face lather with Molton Brown Badger.
WTG (North-South) with Merkur 34C / Rapira blade (PIF)
WWR.
Re-lather.
XTG.
WWR.
Re-lather. Squeeze brush. Apply the pure stuff.
ATG.
WWR.
Alum block.
WWR.
CWR.
Nivea Sensitive Post Shave Balm.

Honestly the result is pretty good. Though what I've learnt from this is to only change one variable at a time.
Today, I used new soap and a new blade brand. I was worried about how the soap would fare and I must say I rushed the passes as a result.

I have never gotten on well with a shave stick before so I was relieved to see the brush lather it up so well. The foam was slick and aplenty.
I like the blades though next time they'll be getting the due amount of time and consideration as I'll either go with a familiar soap or be confident in the Lea stick.

I don't think the ASB is up to much. It's had a fair run with me, been using it for a month or two, but it always needs extra applications to keep me from shrivelling up like a prune. May return to the Liz Earle...

My best regards to the kind, generous and honorable SmallBeard for today's shave which ends on a high note: DFS!
[attachment=8033]

Attachments

• IMG_00000193.jpg
    IMG_00000193.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 51
muhle r89
english wilkinson sword
muhle silvertip fibre
tabac shave stick
truefitt and hill sandalwood balm
bogart pour homme

a very acceptable quickie. id resigned myself to never using the r89 again for being too mild for me. im finding it very good though for when i shave two days in a row, horses for courses and all that.

Saturday morning's shave:

RazoRock XXX
NF Tubby 2
Slim Adjustable
Rapira Swedish Supersteel
Professor Blighty's Green Ginger AS

Top shave, super smooth.

27.JUL.2013 Dr Dulcamara
Here we go with my SOTD pic. Over my swimming trunks and T-shirt you can see a Martin de Candre soap tin, the little and rare, but very functional Rubberset N158 travel brush, my Weber ARC head married with my UFO KAISER SHORT handle over an Edwin Jagger black leather razor case and a little spray of vintage Floïd Mentolado Suave after shave. Also a russian super iridium blade.

WARNING: OBJECTS IN PICTURE ARE CLOSER THAN THEY APPEAR

photo.jpg

Evening, everyone.

Saturday:

Prep: Claus Porto's Lime-oil face soap
Razor: Rimei aka Silver Tone aka Sodial
Blade: Personna Lab Blue (1)
Brush: Ecotools kabuki
Shave soap: Monsavon
A/S: Pashana Bay Rum
Cologne: Rive Gauche Intense

Very good close and easy shave - mostly BBS.

Warm shower
Prep: L Oreal face scrub
Brush: Edwin Jagger Chatsworth ebony synthetic bristle
Soap: Erasmic soap bowl
Blade: Wilkinson Sword Classic
Razor: Edwin Jagger Chatsworth Barley chrome

I started using the Erasmic soap bowl around the second week of June and I'm around half way through, so it should last until the end of August. I have been using the Sienna after shave balm since the end of February and that is also half way through, so should last until December.

Prep: Hot shower
Brush: New Forest 2201
Razor: Alexander Coppel, Solingen
Soap: Nannys French Lavender
AS: Proraso
Edt: Penhaligon's Castile
Strops: Neil Miller
Result: Very, very clean :D

This brush's all you really need and I always bring it for the holidays, which starts tomorrow in Barcelona :D. So today a medly from the week (that I never got around to post). This razor took a really nice bevel, but was a bit "raw" (early in the week)...

... but it only needed a good stropping (aorund 100 laps wasn't enough) and this shave was truly wonderful and it now performs like the very best Solingen razors out there:

I had a two day stubble and I brought out one of the heavy guys, my C V Heljestrand no 9 ½, with a ½ to 1/4 grind. The Windsor cream truly has the loveliest scent (cheers to MR Magnus for the cream!):

Saturday evening

Gillette face wash
Prep pre shave
Kent bk2
TOBS Avacado cream
Gllette aristocrat
Personna red
Alum and witch hazel gel
Myrosol metasil

SATURDAY :
Palmolive stick
Cheap unknown boar
7:00 with Racer stainless
Floid Blue

Superb. Could have got BBS on the jawline but wasn't worth pushing it. 90% BBS with no sting from the Floid.

SUNDAY:
Sir Irisch Moos stick
Cheap unknown boar
Aluminium Tech (NOS minty till today)
Rapira Super Stainless
Floid Blue.

As good as yesterday, starting with visibly less growth.

July 27, 2013 Saturday evening shave:

Prep: Hot water rinse/Somerset oil rub
Brush: Restored Made Rite Finest Badger
Cream: Proraso Green
Razor: Weck & Sons Sexto Blade
Blade: Personna SE
Three pass shave WTG, XTG and ATG with touch ups.
Aftershave: Floid Blue

Second attempt with a straight tonight. I just used it to shave my face and chin WTG. I finished the shave with my DE Merkur and a Gillette 7 O' clock Yellow DE blade. Not real impressed with the Gillette Yellows.
Not really a bad shave. I learned more about the Weck and about another blade (Gillette Yellow). I simply need more practice with the straight razor that I have here. No big deal. :cool:

Frank

Prep face wash L'Occitane vetiver soap
Razor Filarmonica 13 Doble Temple 13/16
Strop Kanayama cordovan #8000
Brush Rooney Heritage stubby 2
Mondial bergamot & neroli Italian soap
Alum & Thayers toner
Kiehl's aftershave balm
Creed Tabarome Millesime Eau de parfum.

This NOS Filarmonica 13 Doble Temple 13/16 landed on my doorstep a few days ago, with the original factory edge box and grease covered blade, well all I did was clean the grease off and gave it a light hone and stropping, a very good shave and no less than I expected.

Razor's: Heljestrand MK30 "Salt&Pepper" Ivory/Tshell
Brush: Mikael's M&F
Cream: Spanish Leather
ASB: TOBS Sandalwood
EDT: Armani Diamonds For Men

Lovely sunday MK Shave. last day of holiday. Sun is shining and the weather is sweet. Got a chance to try Mikael's brush and it was perfect, love the backbone in it and a nice and tall handle that deilivers comfort. Cheers Mikael :).

DSC01133_zps19324da9.jpg

After the usual 1-2 minute hot towel prep:

vintage rebranded Simpsons best
vintage Pomco slant/Wilkinson Super Sword Edge (NOS)
vintage Lentheric SS
Neutrogena oil free moisture
Jacomo de Jacomo EdT (black bottle)

The slant's great for my face and leaves it smoother than usual. No problems waltzing it around anywhere above my neck. My neck though......I gotta be careful there..... harder to figure the angle with the weird whisker crop circles in some spots. Matter of fact I even cut myself today.....enough to give me a solid 'zing' as it happened. Man, I hated that feeling and can't remember the last time I did that. Gotta be years. The My Nik is Sealed stuff got some use...........sheesh.

BBS results,

Martin

Hot flannel
Proraso pre, white
Omega 10219, Cella
Merkur Progress (#2.5; #2), Polsilver SI (2)
Cold splash, alum block
Clinique post-shave healer

After a flirtation with the dark side, I've decided I'm an unashamedly mild guy. Turned all my adjustables down a notch or two. Results: just as smooth and less irritation. Today's was irritation-free, in fact.
Don't be surprised if a Feather AS-D2 pops up in "Acquisitions"

Back
Top Bottom