Semogue Limited Edition 2011 sneak preview

Perished said:
Fair point on the price, but isn't this some kind of REALLY special hair grade? Very limited.

In comparison to the previous Semogue LEs, the price seems excessive to me (as does the number of the brushes produced). It might be fantastic hair but I feel that price for a boar is pushing it. The badger brushes don't seem to offer anything over the SOC two band in my opinion and are 30EUR more than last years offering. I'm sure they'll be great brushes, all the Semogues I've ever tried have been and the SOC and last years LE are two of my favourite brushes. I'm sort of glad to have been priced out of being tempted.

My eyes popped out my head when I saw those prices. Is it really that much better than the SOC brushes?

I'm not too keen on how the handle looks either so as the dragons say... "I'm out"

I don't like black handles so I am out before I even look at the details.

Besides, more than 50€ for a boar brush is a very very expensive price. I don't understand how they justify it.
I have the Caravela it is great and it was sold 30€. I can't imagine this LE being twice better.

Regarding the badger hair, I am also skeptical. Two bands hairs are so different from one company to another and for the same company from batch to batch.
The price is such that there are a lot of cheaper option (the two band SOC to start with) and tempting other choices in the same price range.

I got one (boar, 55mm loft) but admittedly these prices are sky high. Very hard to justify such a purchase for most people, I agree with earlier posts. I'll post comments when it comes and gets some use.

A photo where you can see the bottom of the brush with the engraving, as well as the material:

300305_268025313233551_166268836742533_675859_20605424_n.jpg

From vintagescent's facebook webpage.

I'm going to give them the benefit of the doubt. What exactly is so special about this boar hair? Isn't badger still "better"?

Still a huge fan of Semogue. One of my favorite brushes.

Simple business practice, isn't it? To push the price as high as possible while still generating sales.

This might just be the tipping point, in which case the 'next' limited edition (contradiction in terms, surely?) will be priced accordingly.

Just guessing, like.

Semogue have been pursuing a rather astute policy of appealing to collectors for quite a while now, but producing a competitively priced range of mainstream brushes at the same time. The idea of belonging to the SOC is going to appeal to some people.

asharperrazor said:
I'm going to give them the benefit of the doubt. What exactly is so special about this boar hair? Isn't badger still "better"?

As Fozz and I said above, as boar hair goes this is a cut above. I can't remember (or be bothered to check) the price of the 2009LE - not cheap - but it's not a purchase I've ever regretted. On the whole badger is usually better in my opinion, but then again there are people who object to to it on animal welfare grounds, probably with some justification. This knot is as good an alternative as you're likely to find.

I've got the SOC two band and it's a very good brush. No way I'm paying that much for a boar brush though, if I wanted to buy a boar brush I would go for Semogue 2000, brilliant for a boar brush, if you ask me.

Huxley: I don't understand your question, it's like asking for a straight razor, when you like and want another DE. You must be doing something wrong, while lathering, if it hogs. Never heard of a trimmed in New Forest brush that hogs.

Back
Top Bottom