Semogue Owners Club

So I've had this brush about three (?) months now, and I know it has a few previous forum owners! I love how it looks, I love how it feels to hold, the handle, and the whole ceremony of using it. But I struggle with how it works :roll: And I find the boar bristles really quite stiff.

If I use it with a cream then it's great, but with soaps I find it less than favourable. I rotate my three brushes (this plus a 2201 and 2211) daily, but more often than not I bypass the SOC and go straight back to a NF - no hassle lathering whatever soap is chosen. if I decide on a cream then I default to it as an excuse to use it!

So what to do.... I really want to like it, like, really do! I will probably preserve with it and keep breaking it in.... I suppose .... :oops:

This is a grand opportunity for you and for that S'mogey SOC brush, James. I will let you PIF that SOC boar brush to me, which will solve, or at least alleviate, most of the problems you seem concerned about.

You would be able to rest easily, secure in the knowledge that it will go to a good home. A home where it will be well treated and cared for. A home where it will have the best chance to receive the attention it deserves James. I could even post (or email/PM to you) a picture - possibly more than one - of that poor, wee, S'mogey, happily settling into its new home, and hanging out with new brush-friends.

Possibly, if I can work with it in an environment of trust and caring, possibly, it might even be helped to overcome its reluctance to work confidently and consistently with soaps as well as creams ...

Just ask yourself James, can you, in good conscience, deny that little S'mogey, its chance to really bloom?
      • ... can you, James?[/list:u][/list:u][/list:u]
          • Don't give that SOC the brush off - PM today.[/list:u][/list:u]

This has been an unpaid appeal by The Urban Hermitage for Shaving Goods - International.
              • Don't get your knots in a twist: give generously - give now![/list:u][/list:u]

James,

If it's been used for that long I would expect it to be broken in by now. Maybe it's just not for you. Are you soaking it before use? I find my badgers only need 30 seconds or so, but tend to leave the boars for a few minutes. Have no problem face lathering soap with them this way.

Interestingly we have the same brushes, I have both of the New Forests, the SOC, and in addition an Omega 31064. Of these the New Forest silvertip and the SOC get used on alternate days, one of the other two might possibly get a look in once a week. There is no denying the New Forest silvertip is absolutely wonderful and tends to get used with soft soaps (Nanny’s Silly Soaps) but the SOC is just perfect for MWF. I’ve read about people treating them differently but I have to confess to doing pretty much the same thing with both, a five-minute soak then some plunging motions to shed some of the water and then I hit the soap. With the SOC I don't grind it into the soap, but try and get the soap into the top third so that it releases easier with face lathering, but I'm still new to this game so my advice is possibly way off.

Anyway I wish you luck with your SOC, I think mine is great.

Best wishes,

Chris

Give it a week or 10 days of regular use,and if you dont like it or see the results that you expected,sell it or pif it:theres a lot of great brushes out there (boar and badger) waiting for a new owner.

Teiste said:
Give it a week or 10 days or regular use,and if you dont like it/see the results that you expect,sell it or pif it:theres a lot of great brushes out there (boar and badger and horsehair) waiting for a new owner - like that compassionate fellow, the selfless Urban Hermit.

• ;) , ;)
      • nudge, nudge[/list:u][/list:u][/list:u]

I didn't care for the bugger at all, that particular brush might even be my old one but in difficult times with soap I go for a long wet hand job.

Rather than twirling the soap on top of the puck, soak a soap and the brush and using your hands while everything's wet work the soap right into all parts of the brush supersaturating the knot. You should be able to create something usable by hand lathering with that, it's an excessive use of soap but it might give you a little more confidence in the brush and an idea of what it might require to perform.

antdad said:
I didn't care for the bugger at all, that particular brush might even be my old one but in difficult times with soap I go for a long wet hand job.

Rather than twirling the soap on top of the puck, soak a soap and the brush and using your hands while everything's wet work the soap right into all parts of the brush supersaturating the knot. You should be able to create something usable by hand lathering with that, it's an excessive use of soap but it might give you a little more confidence in the brush and an idea of what it might require to perform.

An interesting approach, but if you've got to go to those sort of lengths to get a decent lather then you've got to ask yourself whether it's worth persevering with the brush.

Your problem is you only have 1 Boar. Secondly, you can use any Boar in the world and they won't be ready out-of-box like some Badgers are ( 90%-95% of time ).

Yellow Jim said:
James,

If it's been used for that long I would expect it to be broken in by now. Maybe it's just not for you. Are you soaking it before use? I find my badgers only need 30 seconds or so, but tend to leave the boars for a few minutes. Have no problem face lathering soap with them this way.

3 months could mean anything. If he used the other two more then it could be quite a handful of uses. That's not enough time even for a spineless brush like Vulfix.

SiR-ed8 said:
3 months could mean anything. If he used the other two more then it could be quite a handful of uses. That's not enough time even for a spineless brush like Vulfix.

True, but if it's had a few previous owners as well then presumably it's seen a bit of use. Or are we that fickle that if it doesn't work first couple of times it doesn't get a chance.

well i have similar experience with mine....my other semoque is a dream compared to the SOC bristles just wont give at the ends... :roll:

Thanks for all the input guy's some very valid and interesting issues raised.

Yellow Jim said:

Hi Jim

Yes it gets a good soak before use, all my brushes get soaked in warm > hot water for the duration of my shower before use, and then get a few good shakes before lathering.

SiR-ed8 said:

It was sold to me by NPINN (?) as only ever been test lathered by hand, not sure whether that's true or not as Antdad seems to have knowledge of it too! Either way, as Ivan notes although I've had it three months at best it gets used for one in three shaves, and at worst one on six times, so while it's seen more than a handful of uses it's certainly not had three months solid use.

n1vlo said:
well i have similar experience with mine....my other semoque is a dream compared to the SOC bristles just wont give at the ends... :roll:

Hmmm thats interesting, maybe not just me then ....

Teiste said:
Give it a week or 10 days of regular use,and if you dont like it or see the results that you expected,sell it or pif it:theres a lot of great brushes out there (boar and badger) waiting for a new owner.

I like the idea of this, I might try it if I've got the patience to sideline my other brushes for 10 days!

SiR-ed8 said:
Your problem is you only have 1 Boar. Secondly, you can use any Boar in the world and they won't be ready out-of-box like some Badgers are ( 90%-95% of time ).

There's a theory! I'm sorely tempted by another boar, and have always had a soft spot for the 1305...

Urban Hermit said:
This is a grand opportunity for you and for that S'mogey SOC brush, James. I will let you PIF that SOC boar brush to me, which will solve, or at least alleviate, most of the problems you seem concerned about.

You would be able to rest easily, secure in the knowledge that it will go to a good home. A home where it will be well treated and cared for. A home where it will have the best chance to receive the attention it deserves James. I could even post (or email/PM to you) a picture - possibly more than one - of that poor, wee, S'mogey, happily settling into its new home, and hanging out with new brush-friends.

Possibly, if I can work with it in an environment of trust and caring, possibly, it might even be helped to overcome its reluctance to work confidently and consistently with soaps as well as creams ...

Just ask yourself James, can you, in good conscience, deny that little S'mogey, its chance to really bloom?
      • ... can you, James?[/list:u][/list:u][/list:u]
          • Don't give that SOC the brush off - PM today.[/list:u][/list:u]

This has been an unpaid appeal by The Urban Hermitage for Shaving Goods - International.
              • Don't get your knots in a twist: give generously - give now![/list:u][/list:u]

• :lol: What can I say?! You deserve a reply all of your own for that!

If the SOC isn't for me and is up for relocation after all that it's only fair it goes your way John! Consider yourself top of the list ;)

Back
Top Bottom