Shave of the day Saturday 22nd - Friday 28th July 2017

Pre: Cold Water
Brush: Omega 20102
Soap: Wickham's Irish Fern
Razors: ER 1912
Blade: Shimmed Pal Super Carbon
Afters: Vitamin E oil, Floid Fragancia Moderna

After reading @riverrun's post, I thought I'd give shimming a go, and it did make it feel more like a shave with the original blades.
With a shimmed Pal Super Carbon I'm afraid the Rolls Razor has been nudged into second place.
Unfortunately I don't think I'll get another shave out of this blade as I dropped it on the floor padding it dry.
View attachment 27510
Check the edge with a loup or magnifying glass, it may have landed on its spine. Tomorrow I'm going to shave with a 1912 fitted with a Corrux blade, it looks in good condition so I should get a great vintage shave! :)

Afternoon chaps.
This is actually yesterday's sotd, I ran out of time to post.
So I have not had a satisfactory shave since returning to blighty, so last night I decided to go the extra mile, hot shower first, executive shave pre oil, then whipped up some great lather with Sterling's Glastonbury soap (fantastic smell), loaded my fail-safe razor the Rockwell 6s with a new rubie blade .
Three perfect passes, no issues and very enjoyable.
Rockwell 6s razor
Sterling Glastonbury soap
Executive shave oil
Rubie blade #1
Grosvenor boar brush
Tabac underarm.
IMAG1148_1.jpg

Check the edge with a loup or magnifying glass, it may have landed on its spine. Tomorrow I'm going to shave with a 1912 fitted with a Corrux blade, it looks in good condition so I should get a great vintage shave! :)
I own neither of those things :(
You'll really enjoy it. I've had a couple off @Fergiebilly, top notch. :)

Last edited:
SOTD%20Jul%2028%202017_zpshxt90aog.jpg

BLACKBIRD/HALO/PSI :: DECLARATION :: 1912 "BUDDHA WOOD"

That is one well broken in brush!

Thanks friend. Very rewarding brush now after the breaking-in process. It insta-lathers everything I throw at it and has a great feeling on the face. But I'm still partial to my 830... :)

edit: sorry I had to delete a few duplicates of this post as my internet was acting up. :( All good now. Yay

Last edited:
Friday 28th July 2017

sotd 28th july.JPG
Pre Shave: Hot Shower + L'Oreal Pure Power Face Wash and Proraso Green
Razor: iKon 101 + OSS Handle
Blade: Wilkinson Economie (#1)
Brush: Proraso Boar
Soap: Proraso Green
AS: Proraso Lotion

Super shave again today, first time using a Wilkinson Economie blade, I got these sometime ago and have just got around to trying them, they are good but not as good as the Gillette Wilkinson blade I used last. My last shave was not posted in the SOTD but was exactly the same set up apart from the blade which was the Gillette Wilkinson on its second use, both blades are cheap blades but worked well.

Friday AM 2017-07-28

Moss Slate Anniversary scuttle
Rooney 3/1 Ebony Finest (22m/48mm)
XPEC Unscented shaving cream (original formula) + Creed Original Santal EdT
DE Ink Edition Feather AS-D2/UFO Titan Fine
Gillette Platinum 'Swede' (10)
Floris Santal aftershave

An excellent shave. The XPEC creates wonderful lather, and the Creed makes it smell great.
MGmvLGt.jpg

Tonight;

IMG_4926.jpg

Tonight's shave involved the Gentlemans face care club cream, Merkur 37C, Polsilver SI (#1), 26mm 2-band and BBA Post Shave Balm.

I said to myself last night that I wouldn't risk it tonight but after flicking through a slants thread I cracked this corker out. Just touched up lightly and the Polsilver managed admirably with one day's growth. Never once felt like it'd bite. 99% smooth in the directions shaved after one and a bit passes. BBA PS neatned everything up so no qualms there whatsoever! I'm feeling comfortable enough that I might manage another shave tomorrow!

Onto the next one, chaps!

Greetings All,

Friday shave afternoon.

One days' growth and warm shave

Preparation – face washed with Clique Liquid facial soap (mild)

Pre: Prorosa White pre-share
Soap: TOBS Sandalwood cream
Razor: Merkur 37C
Blade: Voskhod (2nd)
Brush:RazoRock 400 Noir

Post Shave: Cold water rinse, Alum another cold rinse followed by a shower then Proraso aftershave lotion (red) and Nivea 2 Phase.

Ok, so I thought time to re-try the Merkur 37C as I had time after work and . . . What a nice shave, maybe it was the blade, and / or the TOBS shaving cream, but it was very, very pleasant.

3 passes and nearly BBS, two spots of crimson (over did the touch ups) and VERY HAPPY, the Merkur 37C will be a keeper.
But after the weekend pause, I will return to my love affair with the Rockwell 6C :cool:

Friday night shave

Bath / Nivea Men Active Wash
Wickham Irish Fern
Simpsons Colonel X2L
Rockwell 6c ~ plate 3
Wilkinson Sword (old English stock) ~3
Lavender witch hazel mixture
Proraso Green ASL
Yardley 1770 EDT

One days growth so I went with two passes XTG in opposite directions followed by ATG.
I find Wickham soaps to be slick enough to negate using pre shave, it did the trick tonight.
The Wilkinson blade on its third use showed no signs of dulling and was as smooth as on its first outing. I'll see how many shaves I can get with this blade instead of binning it after 3 or 4 shaves.
Yardley 1770 to finish, a pleasant subtle scent.

Thursday's shave :)

Pre-shave - Hot shower, Aloe Vera soap, followed by warm water splash and Village Barbour Pre-Shave Oil.
Razor - Rocnel SE-G.
Blade - GEM SS (day 6).
Soap - OSP Sicilian Lemon Grove Shaving Cream.
Brush - Simpsons Chubby 2 - Best Badger.
Post shave - Myrsol Agua de Limon After Shave Lotion, followed by Ibiza Aloe Aloe Vera Gell.
EDT - Hierbas de Ibiza

@Blademonkey - tagging you to give an update on how I'm getting on with the Rocnel GEM.

A lemon and Ibiza themed shave this morning :)

I played around with the angle on the Rocnel GEM a little more today, keeping the head of the razor, closest to the blade, reasonably flush with my skin. Good results - first time using the Rocnel GEM with no post shave irritation.

A 2 pass shave - WTG, followed by ATG on the face and XTG on the neck. I needed small touch ups today, possibly due to day 6 with the GEM blade. The blade still has a good feel - no tugging. Skin feels BBS, clean and relaxed (no tightness).

For me, I feel that the Rocnel GEM can be used as a daily razor. I have seen some comments on the web indicating that this may be a go to razor when there is 3 - 4 days growth to be dealt with. I still feel unsure about the angles and how to get the optimum angle consistently, with the slight curve in the razor's face. Any tips - feedback would be appreciated.

The OSP lemon shaving cream, combined with the lemon Myrsol was an excellent combination - I appreciate that YMMV. If you can get hold of the Ibiza Aloe - Aloe Vera Gell, I would highly recommend doing so. This stuff is the best Aloe Vera gell that I have come across, it almost disappears into the skin.

I am going to try and make some time this weekend to put up some decent pictures of the Rocnel.

All the best,

Chris

'The OSP lemon shaving cream, combined with the lemon Myrsol was an excellent combination' - +1 on that - I.

Pre: Cold Water
Brush: Hawkins & Brimble boar
Soap: PAA Solstice
Razors: ER 1914
Blade: Pal Super Carbon
Afters: Homemade Skinfood Balm Thingy

I thought I'd give the super Pal Super Carbon a run out in my second favourite Ever Ready razor. As smooth as a pebble on a well lapped beach.
Smiles all round :):):)View attachment 27482

'As smooth as a pebble on a well lapped beach,' - nice simile. Dolphins, porpoises and - in my own case - otters feature regularly here but that takes it in a whole new direction. Ha ha. I.

Feather AC DX Kamisori • Cadman M55 Tuxedo • Alvarez Gomez Barberia Shaving Cream

View attachment 27507

'Alvarez Gomez Barberia Shaving Cream' - one of the very best shaving soaps I own - at any price. I don't understand why it is not more popular. For me - in the same category as Xpec - which is how much more expensive? - I.

Back
Top Bottom