Shave of the Day - Saturday 9th April to Friday 15th April

Sunday AM 2016-04-10

Georgetown Pottery G12 scuttle
Rooney 1/1 Porcelain Finest (22mm/45mm)
Yardley Black Label shaving soap (tallow)
DE Feather cap/iKon DLC Open Comb/Delta Echo Black Feather
Gillette 'Swede' (2)
St. James Perfumery London Collection aftershave
otlC2i5.jpg

Last edited:
  • Merkur 34c
  • Personna 'med prep' (2nd shave)
  • Musgo Real glycerine 'pre-shave' face soap
  • Myrsol emulsion (as a pre-shave)
  • Proraso 'white' shaving cream
  • Proraso 'green' asl
  • Proraso 'white' aftershave balm

• Two passes (WTG & XTG), plus some very minor smartening up to the chin
  • One of the very few shaves recently that has not left some degree of irritation or weepies
  • BBS WTG, XTG and ATG

This was a really good shave. The irony of course is that when I started DE shaving 2 1/2 - 3 years ago, I started with Proraso products. Since then I've spent a small fortune on different creams and pre-and post shave products in order to better my shaving experience, but in reality I have rarely bettered the quality of my shave, regardless of how much money I've spent on products. Sure, a lot of creams have a better fragrance than Proraso white, and I do enjoy the fragrance aspect of shaving, but no redness around my neck? It's almost unheard of recently (note to self - make sure Prorasos remains a staple - and accept that it's good enough and avoid the temptation of other more expensive and 'exotic' products - not that there's that bloody many left to try!).

Last edited:
EJ head on Windrose D1 handle
Polsilver SI
RazoRock Plissoft
Wilkinson Sword stick + Kiss My Face Lavender cream

Both the Wilkie stick and KMF cream are fine performers on their own. Today I decided to mix them together. Just for fun.

The resulting superlather was slicker than George Clooney in a tub of Dapper Dan.

Vitos Extra (thanks @Smiler)
RazorRock Barber Plissoft
Barbaros
Lab Blue [1]
Aqua Velva AS
Boss Soul EDT
Superdrug Moisturiser

26352234365_14ba21c910_c.jpg

First run out for the Soap and the Razor, both are superb. Vitos is lacking a little slip compared to the Sterling I've been using, but maybe I need to dial in the lather properly, it was very cushioning... Razor is a beauty... Aggressiveness I would put on a par with my Weber PH, it certainly doesn't feel like it is going to bite at any point and it shaves much closer and you can feel the blade more than say the DE89. It has a great sound when it is doing it thing, it really is quite audible... lovely!
Machining and polishing are top of the class, blade alignment is 100% bang on with ZERO movement. It is quite a weighty beast, but not in the same league as the Hone T15.
I LIKE IT ;)
Great job @theunnamed

Preshave: proraso for sensitive skin
Lather: proraso green mixed up with my omega 49
Razor: Merkur 38C
Blade: Gillette seven o'clock yellow, last outing
Afterwards Alum, shower, E45 and Dolce & Gabbana's The One.

Was in two minds whether to shave as I'd had one the night before which only made DFS. Decided to go for it and was quite pleased at the result. Very nearly BBS.

Blade safely in the blade bank and hopefully by next weekend (I shave at work during the week with a cheeky Gillette 1964 J3 Slim) I'll get to try out one of the 100 Voskhod teflon coated jobs on their way from Russia for a ridiculous US$9.10, inc postage.

Sent from my HTC Desire EYE using Tapatalk

Vitos Extra (thanks @Smiler)
RazorRock Barber Plissoft
Barbaros
Lab Blue [1]
Aqua Velva AS
Boss Soul EDT
Superdrug Moisturiser

26352234365_14ba21c910_c.jpg

First run out for the Soap and the Razor, both are superb. Vitos is lacking a little slip compared to the Sterling I've been using, but maybe I need to dial in the lather properly, it was very cushioning... Razor is a beauty... Aggressiveness I would put on a par with my Weber PH, it certainly doesn't feel like it is going to bite at any point and it shaves much closer and you can feel the blade more than say the DE89. It has a great sound when it is doing it thing, it really is quite audible... lovely!
Machining and polishing are top of the class, blade alignment is 100% bang on with ZERO movement. It is quite a weighty beast, but not in the same league as the Hone T15.
I LIKE IT ;)
Great job @theunnamed
I press a my Vitos into a puck about 50 Grams at a Time..I Pour some Glycerine on Top & let it Soak into the Soap...It soaks it up & then add more until I reckon its Right...It changes it to a Top Notch Soap..Dynamite..Slick as Hell..Just Don't over Do It..The Vitos is great that way..:p

Its a great soap for SR Shaving cause it has to stay on the face longer without irritation & drying out.Stirlings is slick but I found it lacked cushion & the scents just irritate me all to hell & back..:)

Billy

image.jpg Number 4 of April samples.SOTD from yesterday. Didn't get a chance to post it.

Pre: Proraso Red Pre-Shave
Razor: EJ DE89 3DLD
Blade: Shark
Brush: RazoRock Plissoft
Soap: TOBS Eton College
Post: Thayers Cucumber Witch Hazel, Johnson's Intense Moisture Cream
A/S: Fine Fresh Vetiver

This is my first SOTD so please excuse my photography skills.

I guess the reason for making my first post is the fact that I had the privilege of trying out a bespoke soap from one of our favourite UK Artisans Wickham Soaps before it goes on general release!

The soap base is different to their Super Smooth, this one is called 1912.

The scent is a bespoke scent that matches a famous EDT. I'm not sure if I can say what it is but you may get an idea ;)

Back
Top Bottom