Closed Shavette vs Artist Club vs Straight

OK so I tried and (like most it seems) hated a shavette.

I would be using a 'straight' at the weekend only (at least to start) so had to duck out of the Artist Club passaround, I didn't want to hog it while others are waiting.

And yet I am still er... 'straight curious'.

I like the idea of a straight but am not sure I would have the patience to strop, hence my tryout with the shavette. To those who know the Feather Artist Club, how would you say it differs from a shavette? Is it worth the risk?

Chalk and cheese.

I've shaved with most things including a blade on a stick but fear was put into me when shaving with a shavette.

Straights and feather, easy, shavette, horrid!

I am aware there are a few types of blade. Which is not going to cut me to ribbons?

Edit: OK the Proguard seem to be the place to start. Need to save a few quid but as I am not purchasing anything shaving this year I will break my duck in style in the sales!

Whosthedaddy said:
Chalk and cheese.

I've shaved with most things including a blade on a stick but fear was put into me when shaving with a shavette.

Straights and feather, easy, shavette, horrid!

I started with a shavette, nicked myself at least once every shave. I'm now using a straight 2-3 times a week and haven't nicked myself once. Its the corners of the de blade in the shavette which are so unforgiving, the blade length is short so the corners are always close to your skin.

Well my FAC SS just arrived so gimme a few days and I'll get back to you. :icon_razz:

As the above post says though...The half DE blades in a shavette are short so getting the blade dead on to the skin is crucial or those sharp corners just bury themselves into flesh. It's a given. That said I like the end result just because a DE blade is so sharp. The Feather injector type blades are a fair bit longer with rounded corners and they're thicker. That will make the whole experience safer and more enjoyable.

There's is a third way. Not Tony Blair's third way but... Those hair shapers that are essentially a shavette but take hair shaping blades. Those blades are longer, nearly twice the lengh of a DE blade. I don't use mine now as the blades aren't sharp enough for me. They shave but I'd rather not.

Oh yeah there's another way. My shavette can hold an injector blade. The type used in a Schick injector razor. They shave damn well in the shavette but again they're short in lengh which gets a bit tiresome. The corners digging in is less of a problem although the problem still exists.

Then there's the Feather. I'll let ya know but I anticipate worldly goodness from it.

Stupid question but could you (if you wanted to mess about with a sharp blade) cut the corners off a half DE blade to avoid the corners digging in? I might experiment with this tonight.

Another problem I've found with shavettes (and this might just be my lack of experience) but I find the angle you shave at changes compared to different kinds of DE and so a smooth blade in a DE can feel harsher on the skin when in a shavette. Is this me or the same for most people?

Could do, but I figure that after a Parker shavette, rather than trying a second shavette, that might be 'not as bad' as the Parker, I should try something positively better instead?!

Whosthedaddy said:
Try a Dovo shavette as the plastic carriers for the blades erradicate the sharp corners somewhat

I think most of the shavette said are basically the same, a blade gets wedge inbetwen the metal tangs and off you go. The Dovo at least uses a blade carrier and looks a little safer.

But technique is everything right?

I think I will aim for the FAC (and keep an eye on BST...)!

Whosthedaddy said:
I think most of the shavette said are basically the same, a blade gets wedge inbetwen the metal tangs and off you go. The Dovo at least uses a blade carrier and looks a little safer.

But technique is everything right?

I tried a Parker shavette and cut my self for two weeks.
I wanted to straight shave but knew I could not keep up with the maintenance of a true straight. So I bought a Kai Captain off of the bay and it is all I shave with the best shaves I have ever had. I use feather pro blades tried the super pro but can't get on with them a bit to harsh. I'm getting about eight shaves from a blade I only got one to two from DE so for me it works out cheaper.

Best shave to date I think was with the non folding Feather Artist SS, it's one step sideways and over there to a western straight or kamisori but the blade and head combo works so so well

A straight is smoother, more forgiving and better weighted IMO.
A shavette is quicker but then your cutting corners and end up with a more 'on edge' shave.

Takes some time to get used to straight razor shaving and a lot depends on the blade (they all feel different). Worth the effort IMO.

Back
Top Bottom