Closed Shavette vs Artist Club vs Straight

Nishy said:
Takes some time to get used to straight razor shaving and a lot depends on the blade (they all feel different). Worth the effort IMO.

I've got an extra hollow and I liken it to shaving with a piece of paper, the cutting edge feels so thin compared to my less ground or wedge. It is also very forgiving and holds a lovely edge with very minimal stropping.

Whosthedaddy said:
Nishy said:
Takes some time to get used to straight razor shaving and a lot depends on the blade (they all feel different). Worth the effort IMO.

I've got an extra hollow and I liken it to shaving with a piece of paper, the cutting edge feels so thin compared to my less ground or wedge. It is also very forgiving and holds a lovely edge with very minimal stropping.
Sometimes you have to wonder, over the course of a year i would re hone some edges once or twice at most. This takes 15 minutes max.

Taking a DE blade out of that damn wrapper and loading up the razor, around 30 seconds? Muliply daily.... Well ;)

I started straight shaving last summer and had this extra hollow honed, still shaving as good as it did when it came back and used a handful of times a month since (only less as do like to use different combos every shave)

In all fairness it is less hassle than people believe, even the pre post strop doesn't take that long, minute each tops?

Dave-the-rave said:
Well my FAC SS just arrived so gimme a few days and I'll get back to you. :icon_razz:

Well that didn't take long so I'm back to you. I had a DE razor arrive today with the FAC SS so I shaved with it. So there I was patiently waiting for me beard to grow back so I could try the FAC SS and I thought sod it I'll shave me dome with it.

I'm not exactly experienced at head shaving. I've done it maybe five times using a Schick, Tech and DE89. I just wouldn't attempt it with my shavette. Anyway with a Pro blade loaded I set to work shaving off ten days hair.. Done. With one tiny cut which is right on a scar and is always a bugger.

Now head shaving is different from face shaving as the skin is tighter, sits over bone and the hair is softer, but from that first experience I'd say it's a breeze to use. If you can master a shavette with DE blade you'll take this in your stride.

The extra blade length, rounded corners and razors weight make it swift and forgiving. As for the sharpest blades known to man only reserved for the ultra experienced shaver or the world will end... Yeah they're not bad at all. They're razor blades. My nut's cue ball smooth everywhere except...the bald bit. I always forget to shave that bit somehow.

I'd say if ya really want one, get it. Certainly don't be put off by the scary mongering which precedes it. My shavette is much scarier. Hope that helps.

Edit:There's a FAC SS on ebay for £97 delivered, from a UK seller.

I'm very excited to be on the FAC pass around to get to try one of these. I agree with Dave about shaving the head bar one thing he forgot to mention,Hair density is much,much higher (apart from Dave's bald spot). I use my straight to shave my head when I have lots of growth and it cruises through the hair so I can't wait to try the FAC so o don't have to touch up my straight so often.

Back
Top Bottom