Shaving acquisitions May 2023

A lovely set, the Full Shave Kit by Seven Potions.
aSke8c5.jpg

Interested to hear your thoughts on these to see if you and PLANofMAN agree or not. I love the packaging but that's a very shallow reason to buy something lol
He didn't skip the pre-shave oil, so I doubt we'll agree. I think it would have made a big difference in slickness. We'll find out when he reports.

Fresh bottle of the good stuff ...

AJFCJaXQahnDUqlzr4XZwv5BkAqW9gnt_b0NUHGxJ-_c_vFnmaT85CWWHP2LbiJ47zzJ6t5FnU-b0JxQbodfypbkwZnzZQkZKeB6sffD-pU4pxGoH9b-82Tj_5l9Hw9QeMopK1WVFubRBGLLQbQkGaoVeiBsng=w800

... someone has already had a cheeky swig, but the remaining 97.9% is all mine!
On your theme and in clear breach of my self-imposed rules on no purchases and not going on the forum this just arrived:

What do we reckon? 1950s or 1960s?
Shame the aftershave is only a third full, but I can't blame the previous owner if they wanted to use it. I just had a dab and this particular version is very strong!

I have no use for the hair cream. Any ideas what to do with it (beyond the obvious and insulting)?

Attachments

• PXL_20230512_141440365.jpg
    PXL_20230512_141440365.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 11
  • PXL_20230512_141610463.jpg
    PXL_20230512_141610463.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 8
  • PXL_20230512_141741367.jpg
    PXL_20230512_141741367.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 8
I think 1950s @NotTheStig ...

Flip the box over and see if Nottingham is mentioned anywhere. Cussons acquired Gerard Soap Works in 1955 and continued to use that factory for soap production (including shaving soap) right through until 2006! If it does say Nottingham, it's 1955 on ... and I still think 1950s. It might be earlier if (I think) Manchester is mentioned.

... and the shaving bowl got curvier into the 1960s. Oh! Of the same shape as this Gerard bowl (and soap) that I have incoming:

s-l1600.jpg

... so probably more like early 1950s.

I think 1950s @NotTheStig ...

Flip the box over and see if Nottingham is mentioned anywhere. Cussons acquired Gerard Soap Works in 1955 and continued to use that factory for soap production (including shaving soap) right through until 2006! If it does say Nottingham, it's 1955 on ... and I still think 1950s. It might be earlier if (I think) Manchester is mentioned.

... and the shaving bowl got curvier into the 1960s. Oh! Of the same shape as this Gerard bowl (and soap) that I have incoming:

s-l1600.jpg

... so probably more like early 1950s.
No mention of Nottingham or Manchester. The most specific location I can find on any part of it is Brook Street, 84 Grosvenor Square in West London, which is the 'brand location' rather than manufacturing area.
The box mentions London Paris Rome. At least it doesn't say London Paris Peckham :)
I do have a few of these in similar styles and combinations.
I believe the soap bowl and lid are a type of celluloid? I had one of these containers in a bathroom a few years back that started to melt on a particularly hot day!

I had my eye on that Gérard shaving soap too! I decided I'd spent too much lately. Congratulations on your purchase. If you use it let us know how you find it. Although if it were me I'd probably preserve it.
I think the box design is meant to look a bit like a TV screen? Adopting a modern trend to help sales maybe. Could just be me being mad though.

Last edited:
These might not be markings for the Cussons factory, they could be glass manufacturing marks, but they're all I have to go on.
They didn't help us much, did they ... I mean, today's products have full and complete ingredient listings, country of origin and manufacturing details. Easy to maintain enigma and mystique when you don't have to display all the facts all over your packaging.

Still guess early 1950s.

Arrived!

AJFCJaWl8SceBmC9ThRX4zD3CfTJNHalqiYELWRe53FomB1hlRPjwbNjnUXwEf9OUkjV3rgvk_SMVsmIBLYiwmieDLcV4RwTXTwcZ8HJqXw03f57BPqUG3jjiLjbPSZbTInGJO41HxWfwLbL0dSEns2xWif05w=w1200

I mentioned it above.

If the shape of the bowl looks a little familiar, it is the same shape as the more popular Imperial Leather shaving bowl. Cussons bought Gerard Soap Works in 1955 and continued to use that factory to produce their soap needs. We might make a presumption that Gerard produced for Cussons prior to the acquisition? Anyway, lovely NOS shaving bowl ... and you guys know I do like my vintage lidded shaving bowls. The scent is very much along the lines of vintage Boots - it's clean and soapy. Not quite as almost marine airy fresh as Rolls Razor, but it does share the same sorta freshly laundered cloth scent.

Smashing write-up on Gerard here: https://www.nottinghampost.com/news/history/basford-factory-leading-role-britains-1628425

I'll enjoy this one!

Oh, notice the not quite centered label on the lid? Maybe we can forgive Rex for the 1955 label debacle now?

I also got an Avon Windjammer set - soap and splash. Alas, not shaving soap.

AJFCJaUMauaxFCOXomxJfvbtbfT4rV1j0mPptZXadyEU-dQfAYmI6HrpquuBq4KQVeFUxg2rfK8X1JhqknrJHG-vKZ-KvNOD_zZvPSpSvhEdr5P-XiLSqpuuNuNrPcAE1kDnDGh9Ce87hN9Zh5HFB7jEoe7-Cw=w800

Billed as mossy, earthy, green and fresh spicy, I think this is going to play very well for me. I am a sucker for proper oak moss (pretty much cat nip for me) and get so disappointed with modern mossy scents than no longer have the real stuff. Vintage, of course, is the day of blissful unawareness and so the real stuff is in this bottle by the bucket-load! Lovely!

Excuse me while I go roll around, purring ...

^ Jeez! I said that out loud. Not even my wife wants to see that!

Arrived!

AJFCJaWl8SceBmC9ThRX4zD3CfTJNHalqiYELWRe53FomB1hlRPjwbNjnUXwEf9OUkjV3rgvk_SMVsmIBLYiwmieDLcV4RwTXTwcZ8HJqXw03f57BPqUG3jjiLjbPSZbTInGJO41HxWfwLbL0dSEns2xWif05w=w1200

I mentioned it above.

If the shape of the bowl looks a little familiar, it is the same shape as the more popular Imperial Leather shaving bowl. Cussons bought Gerard Soap Works in 1955 and continued to use that factory to produce their soap needs. We might make a presumption that Gerard produced for Cussons prior to the acquisition? Anyway, lovely NOS shaving bowl ... and you guys know I do like my vintage lidded shaving bowls. The scent is very much along the lines of vintage Boots - it's clean and soapy. Not quite as almost marine airy fresh as Rolls Razor, but it does share the same sorta freshly laundered cloth scent.

Smashing write-up on Gerard here: https://www.nottinghampost.com/news/history/basford-factory-leading-role-britains-1628425

I'll enjoy this one!

Oh, notice the not quite centered label on the lid? Maybe we can forgive Rex for the 1955 label debacle now?
I hope you enjoy it (whether you use it or not). I was very tempted. Glad it's gone to someone who will appreciate it (and told me what it smells like).

I hope you enjoy it (whether you use it or not). I was very tempted. Glad it's gone to someone who will appreciate it (and told me what it smells like).
Thank you. I'm sure I will ... and yes, it'll certainly get used. I'm not a big fan of modern soap formulation and the classic London houses are hit and miss over the years. I know I like vintage and have quite assembled quite the choice now that I really need not use any contemporary soaps. Splashes, I'm of a similar persuasion.

I've had this Gerard sat in my watch list for some time ... quite some time, so much so it was pretty much out of mind. An eBay offer brought it to mind again: either drop it out of your watch list or bloody well buy it!

Arrived!

I mentioned it above.

I'll enjoy this one!

Side by side with the Imperial Leather shaving bowl:

AJFCJaVDrO96_6jHxvWmxKa0IIIlNYxpj3_gbxjWcNDdb1RmJu3gzne8ToP-25chDfQMHCYqXSq-rh8Szmq-8FhmkJlLbXuyov0RtvifVxflscYnmvJBRmmYqkO0yYnypjOyINEvtbFOGvJQ4_Kfe8HdpTC_2w=w1200

Back
Top Bottom