Shaving against the grain

I've been DE shaving for 2 years now and am still learning about using less pressure, particularly against the grain on my neck. I can get bbs on the sides of my neck but still no luck for the adams apple. The touch needed is almost glancing and the technique improves with practise. It's not vital to shave atg but it can be learned. I've had a a lot a red and sore necks trying!

Just out of interest, What DE razor are you using?...It may be that your razor doesn't suit you....Most of the new razors available now I find a bit too fierce for me....Merkurs in particular.....Have you tried a vintage Tech?, they're a very mild shave...May not get you a BBS shave, but certainly a very comfortable one, especially combined with a Polsilver Super Iridium or a Permasharp blade.

Latherette said:
I can't go against the grain either - especially on the neck area.

I would advise you to do 2 x xtg instead - one from each side of the growth direction.

I can manage XTG without a breakout but straight up ATG and my neck is a total mess!

GOLDCREST said:
Just out of interest, What DE razor are you using?...It may be that your razor doesn't suit you....Most of the new razors available now I find a bit too fierce for me....Merkurs in particular.....Have you tried a vintage Tech?, they're a very mild shave...May not get you a BBS shave, but certainly a very comfortable one, especially combined with a Polsilver Super Iridium or a Permasharp blade.

As i said i've tried all sorts of razors

Gillette contour cartridge razor
Gillette mach 3 cartridge
Gillette mach 3 fusion power
Merkur 33 HD with Astra sp blade

All the same result, my neck ends up spotty and rashed for weeks.

Don't bother mate, is it really worth the hassle and pain?
I can shave against only round my chin and just under my bottom lip, anywhere else and I end up in a mess. By all means keep experimenting to try and find a combination that will work for you, I have tried for the last two years with many combinations of razors, blades, soaps, preps etc and nothing I do results in a comfortable shave. So I gave up trying and now concentrate on getting the best shave I can with three passes, 1st WTG, then two XTG (one in either direction) The wife doesn't seem to notice so I don't care ;-)

daz said:
Don't bother mate, is it really worth the hassle and pain?
I can shave against only round my chin and just under my bottom lip, anywhere else and I end up in a mess. By all means keep experimenting to try and find a combination that will work for you, I have tried for the last two years with many combinations of razors, blades, soaps, preps etc and nothing I do results in a comfortable shave. So I gave up trying and now concentrate on getting the best shave I can with three passes, 1st WTG, then two XTG (one in either direction) The wife doesn't seem to notice so I don't care ;-)

Your probably right it's not worth the pain lol

I can understand spotty and rashed with a cartridge razor,( shaving too close in their case, ingrowing hairs etc)...
The problem probably lies in the shaving angle you are using, the blade not parallel enough to the skin, if that makes any sense, and as a result creating more of a scraping action rather than a slicing action on the whiskers...Have you tried putting the head of the razor on the skin, handle sticking out at right angles to your face, then gradually lowering the handle until the blade starts to shave...this worked for me with the fierce Muhle R41...and turned the shave from a rough sandpaper job to a silky smooth "have I got a blade in this razor".......Just a thought.

Greetings

I am fortunate and can shave in any direction without problem. From what I've read on here over dozens if not hundreds of posts is that shaving against the grain is just one of lifes lotteries when the dice were rolled at your birth.

Having tried all the usual (and excellent tips) as the Count said, you may well have to just accept that you are one of the ones who will never be able to shave against the grain, you certainly will not be alone.

I can't use biological washing powder(not that it has the slightest relevance here) and if I do my armpits and groin look like a piece of raw liver, just a quirk of fate to be avoided.

Regards
Dick.

Hiya,

Quick question for the members who don't use the ATG pass for whatever the reason.....doesn't matter.

When using a cartridge of any kind, were you able to shave in all directions?

Thanks for any response,

Martin

dodgy said:
Hiya,

Quick question for the members who don't use the ATG pass for whatever the reason.....doesn't matter.

Thanks for any response,

Martin

No, I used to just go one pas north to south and didn't consider any other direction. I've now realised I was going ATG on the bottom of my neck and that was where I got irritation.

dodgy said:

Ok, maybe that's not the right question. and the response was helpful in figuring that out. I realize now there may be reasons that could skew results that I'm trying to find. Sheeesh, sorry for any slight derailment.

Know that you've heard it from me before, but... When I is a Gillette '04, even when "dry shaving" a ATG pass isn't really needed. For a fast acceptable shave only a WTG is needed.[emoji33]

fraz101 said:
When i shave against the grain i come out with the most horrendous rash/spots on my neck,which takes weeks to disappear..
I have done it with various razors/blades throughout the years and nothing helps.
I'm assuming i just have sensitive skin?
My dad does it everytime he shaves with no issues what so ever.
Can anyone tell me why this happens ?
Do i just have soft/sensitive skin?

Bare in mind that being "smooth" is only temporary and if the irritation takes weeks to clear up it certainly isn't worth it. Whatever you are doing is traumatising the skin but once you have mastered traditional shaving techniques that should improve things greatly. Study the video guides; you should be aiming for frequent, comfortable shaves with no irritation whatsoever then once that's achieved you can experiment with getting closer if thats what you want.

dodgy said:
Hiya,

Thanks for any response,

Martin

No. Similar results.

If you are not getting close enough after two passes your technique is probably not good enough or you are using the wrong sort of razor.

Have you considered a slant or an SE? They can make a huge difference. I have a relatively heavy beard and have never needed 3 passes. Once the WTG is complete a combined XTG/ATG pass is good enough - you get to know those areas that need it and can do both passes one after another without reloading lather if you drag some back.

Most importantly though, take the advice already given, if the ATG is not for you then settle for second best.

Back
Top Bottom