Shaving foam works just fine

J23

As much as I like my brushes and soaps/creams, I sometimes just don’t have time for a ‘spa treatment shave’. That’s when I reach for good quality canned foam. In my experience, it works just as well as soaps and creams that require a brush. Of course, a good prep with hot water and plain (bar) soap is just as essential with canned foam as it is with soap/cream and brush. Canned foam has an undeserved poor reputation if you ask me. Anyone feel the same?

Nope i don’t feel the same at all.
Most cans are full of crap
most not all.
i can never understand people saying they use it for quickness, i can whip up a lather in under 30 seconds if needs must,
so how much time to you actually save ?
Also i would be interested in the good quality canned goo you use,
Anyway this isn’t a criticism of you,
everyone is entitled to use what they want & quite rightly so.
But
there’s always a but lol
You can’t say it has a bad reputation because most of the world use it,
It’s only people like us, people in the know that gives it this bad reputation.
What Canned Go do you use ???

I used canned stuff in the past, but don't see the need to use it when I can use a good soap or cream and like @pjh says whip a lather up in under a minute. But more than that a quick rub of a soap stick like the late palmolive or a favourite of mine the Tabac stick and then a quick rub round with a brush can let me have a sgave in under 10 mins. (Hardly ever do it that quick).
So I guess canned stuff does have its place....

....But not in my bathroom :LOL:

That’s when I reach for good quality canned foam.
Canned foam has an undeserved poor reputation if you ask me.

Most cans are full of crap, most not all.

There are a few compounds that I know irritate my skin and while manufacturers are gradually phasing them out, most off the shelf stuff still contains them.

Nivea stuff is always great I think.

Yes, indeed.

BTW, the few canned gels of new generation are quite good.
AND, they are not fully brushless. Not the same lather, but work with brush too.
For the price of a cappuccino I find nice the Gillette Skin.
https://www.theshavingroom.co.uk/community/threads/gillette-skin.58514/
Nivea too has the Sensitive Ultra Glide gel, very gentle and soothing.
https://www.nivea.co.uk/products/senitive-shaving-gel-50259700232430045.html

Never used, but I really like the INCI of the Nivea Sensitive Pro Cream.
AND, people in here have already good review.
https://www.theshavingroom.co.uk/community/threads/anyone-used-these-before.57340/

I've actully used just a plain but slick soap, unlathered, just rubbed onto my skin and evened out wih my hand along with mild razors to get a shave done in about three minutes.
Not exactly comfortable and pretty much spent the blade, but not too bad either.

It’s a YMMV thing obviously. But I can get equally good results with canned foam as I can with a brush and soap. And some days I even prefer it. I always shave in the evening. Sometimes when I’m home late from work, I just want to shave and be done with it without having to clean a brush.

It’s a YMMV thing obviously. But I can get equally good results with canned foam as I can with a brush and soap. And some days I even prefer it. I always shave in the evening. Sometimes when I’m home late from work, I just want to shave and be done with it without having to clean a brush.
As i say it’s not a criticism but you say you want to save time by not cleaning a brush & that’s fair enough it’s your choice,
but i reckon it takes me all of 2 minutes to clean a brush.
It sounds like to me you just don’t have the enjoyment of shaving that some of us do.
Personally i never shave because i have to
it’s always enjoyable and i do it because i like it.

As i say it’s not a criticism but you say you want to save time by not cleaning a brush & that’s fair enough it’s your choice,
but i reckon it takes me all of 2 minutes to clean a brush.
It sounds like to me you just don’t have the enjoyment of shaving that some of us do.
Personally i never shave because i have to
it’s always enjoyable and i do it because i like it.
You are right about the brush. Takes two minutes at most to clean. I do very much enjoy shaving. But sometimes shaving is also just something that needs to be done. Like brushing your teeth. This is almost always when I’m late at home from work and just want to go to bed as soon as possible.

You are right about the brush. Takes two minutes at most to clean. I do very much enjoy shaving. But sometimes shaving is also just something that needs to be done. Like brushing your teeth. This is almost always when I’m late at home from work and just want to go to bed as soon as possible.
i understand everything your saying for sure but for most of us on here shaving is never a chore,
Saying that it was a chore for me for over 40 years,
Not it’s a pleasure everytime

Back
Top Bottom