Shaving foam works just fine

The one upside of canned goop is that it is instant. But to a greater or lesser extent, the ingredients will dry your face, or at least not protect and nourish it. Decent soaps and creams do this (not all), just needing a minute or two to build the lather. At the end of the day, you are scraping your face causing at lest micro-abrasions - use a product that will then maximise protection and then after-care. Foam doesn't deliver here in comparison. Oh, I forgot another benefit of canned goop - if you clean the mirror with it and remove and polish, the mirror won't fog up. Because of those dodgy ingredients I suspect!

They don't put any slick or cushion in those cans. A boar brush and a hard puck are very fast and work much better than canned goo.
Haven’t used my boar (omega green) and hard puck (mitchels wool fat) for ages and this prompted me to try tonight, I now remember why I haven’t used it for ages …

Haven’t used my boar (omega green) and hard puck (mitchels wool fat) for ages and this prompted me to try tonight, I now remember why I haven’t used it for ages …
MWF. The enigmas of soaps! Every time I think I've finally dialled in the narrow sweet spot to an immense lather, I fail to repeat the formula the next day, and spend another 5 times or so on average trying to get back the magic. Will I ever learn? How long till I get though my new five pucks of the last tallow formula at this rate of fighting it? Every other soap I've ever tried at least is consistent.

A brush and soap/cream are much more fun but I don’t buy the “they work better” argument. Foam works just fine when used correctly with enough plain old water. Also many of the ingredients are the same as in soaps/creams. Lastly if it does dry out the face as some claim, there’s balm to solve it. The one big advantage of foam is consistency in lather. YMMV.

A brush and soap/cream are much more fun but I don’t buy the “they work better” argument. Foam works just fine when used correctly with enough plain old water. Also many of the ingredients are the same as in soaps/creams. Lastly if it does dry out the face as some claim, there’s balm to solve it. The one big advantage of foam is consistency in lather. YMMV.
If "foam works just fine when used correctly with enough plain old water" then is "The one big advantage of foam is consistency in lather" really so?
Aren't the two kind of at odds, considering that adding water would likely make the lather less consistent?

It makes sense that foams have some of the same ingredients as soaps/creams, but while there are some soaps that contain preservatives and other components that can be irritating, the soap making industry seems to be moving away from those, but most canned foams still keep them. It was so at least the last time I checked anyway.

Having said all that, if they work for you with no ill-effects, then I suppose it's to your benefit.

Reactions: J23
If "foam works just fine when used correctly with enough plain old water" then is "The one big advantage of foam is consistency in lather" really so?
Aren't the two kind of at odds, considering that adding water would likely make the lather less consistent?

It makes sense that foams have some of the same ingredients as soaps/creams, but while there are some soaps that contain preservatives and other components that can be irritating, the soap making industry seems to be moving away from those, but most canned foams still keep them. It was so at least the last time I checked anyway.

Having said all that, if they work for you with no ill-effects, then I suppose it's to your benefit.
It’s not for me mate
i used it for 30 years and i can’t see a benefit,
You can virtually whip up any soap in a matter of seconds,
by the time you’ve applied the foam or gel to the face then washed the soap of your hands you’ve whipped up a wonderful lather with your brush.
zi genuinely don’t think it’s any quicker & if it is it’s 1 minute

It’s not for me mate
i used it for 30 years and i can’t see a benefit,
You can virtually whip up any soap in a matter of seconds,
by the time you’ve applied the foam or gel to the face then washed the soap of your hands you’ve whipped up a wonderful lather with your brush.
zi genuinely don’t think it’s any quicker & if it is it’s 1 minute
Oh, it's the same with me and probably most people who are used to a particular soap and brush combination.
I was just pointing out the inconsistency of the earlier post.
However, instant vs 30+ seconds matters to some.

Having said that, I can see canned foam being useful e.g. on holiday (where you could just buy it at the location), and maybe for people who don't care for whipping up their own.

I'd use a plain shower/shampoo soap for slickness rather than canned foam and a mild razor, if I had to, but clearly preferences differ.

Oh, it's the same with me and probably most people who are used to a particular soap and brush combination.
I was just pointing out the inconsistency of the earlier post.
However, instant vs 30+ seconds matters to some.

Having said that, I can see canned foam being useful e.g. on holiday (where you could just buy it at the location), and maybe for people who don't care for whipping up their own.

I'd use a plain shower/shampoo soap for slickness rather than canned foam and a mild razor, if I had to, but clearly preferences differ.
I have popped into Boots and grabbed a Harry's shaving cream at the airport. Most creams can be used brushlessly as I did on this occasion and many other times previously

I have always found face-lathering by hand a messy fuss.

When i am working away / hols i use a small blob of cream straight onto a damp compact synthetic brush, then face lather with it

Afterwards, rinse the brush well under the tap and dry it by dragging it round a towel for a few seconds.

Job done - quicker and less messy than hand lathering

Back
Top Bottom