Shaving Rash (still)

Hi All,

Following plenty of useful advice from this forum I've transferred to DE shaving and am loving it!

Unfortunately, I'm still unable to shave two days in a row without getting irritation/shaving rash.

I haven't purchased an alum block yet as I can't find them anywhere (I've tried Wilkinsons, Supermarkets and Boots).

My Body Shop Macca Root Cream is almost finished, so are there other recommendations of anything I should try?

I really would like to combat this shaving rash within in the next couple of months as my new job role will require shaving daily and it's something I don't want irritating every time I sweat etc.

Amnesia

I think some more information may be required for a proper answer, like type of cream or soap,blades number of passes and so on.
I only started de shaving last friday, with cartridge razors i could only shave 2 to 3 times a week but so far i've managed every day.
first couple of days i had a few red bumps at the bottom of my neck but with less pressure that stopped.
At the moment I only make 2 passes one wtg the other xtg, when my face gets more used to it i will go for 3 passes.
2 passes still looks presentable.

Now and again I get a bit of a rash in patches but nothing major, mostly self inflicted if I am honest., Alum helped improve my post shave feeling and indeed my skin feels better after using it; but I don't think it will cure a shaving rash or reaction/irritation. Only way to do that is to find and eliminate the cause.

Have you tried any other creams or just the Macca root? If just the Macca Root I would suggest picking up a Palmolive soap stick from Tescos for under a quid and try that.

When you say irritation/shaving rash are we talking face looking like a well skelped arse? or does it just "feel" a bit raw?

Hello!

From my experience - get Proraso or TOBS sensitive. I used to get rash in the beginning due to two reasons - bad technique and Derbys :-/ Therefore my advice would be simple - get some smooth blades (7 O'Clock yellows or blacks), keep in mind your blade angle (30 degrees) and pressure (none), don't go ATG without a necessity, esp. on the neck - and you should be fine.

Thanks for the replies both.

I'm using a Gillette 40s SS and switch between a number of blades including Gillette Yellows and a couple of others which I like the feel and finish of.

I might try a basic palmolive soap stick and see how that holds up.

The irritation is both the feeling and the look... I am more concerned about how it looks than the feel and the bumps can be rather unsightly. Sometimes there aren't many, but by the next day they will be bright red and looking rather angry!

I suspect it isn't the product, if you really need to shave everyday then shave as if you need to shave everyday i.e not so closely.

My skin became slightly irritated from the alum block when I used certain soaps. Toady I have skipped the alum all together.
Try a less aggressive blade e.g. shark and, as was said above, shave less close. Proraso was mentioned above, and I fully agree with that. Also ARKO has proven (for me that is) to provide a very good base for a non-irritating shave.

For an alum block, you could get this one from Connaughts: clicky-clicky I bought one the other week and at just over a fiver delivered, it seems to offer reasonable value.

With regards to the rash, are you building a decent lather? I ask as whenever I have had a bad shave with lots of irritation, I can place the blame at the feet of a poor lather. For example, I had a bad shave over the weekend which left my neck and face feeling particularly raw. The reason for my poor shave was a bad lather - I just couldn't get the soap of choice for that day to lather up properly. No sooner had I applied the lather than it was starting to disappear.

Just a thought - but that may be one of the contributors to your problems.

I stopped the across the grain and against the grain passes, it's nonsense and just asking for trouble.

I haven't had any irritation issues since (well not shaving related ones)

I intend to try either Palmolive or Arko in the next few weeks and Tabac Original Soap is also a good option to think about.

And finally, the hardest part I found to grasp was how little pressure is required.

Provence sante soap if you can get it. And I'd recommend Nivea for men asb. Moisturise you're face in the evenings too with something not too greasy. Perhaps try an oil pre shave.

What razor and blade combo are you using?

antdad said:
I suspect it isn't the product, if you really need to shave everyday then shave as if you need to shave everyday i.e not so closely.

What the man says: take it easy on yourself. Those 7 o'clock yellows aren't the most easygoing of blades either, by the way (pretty good though).

I used to suffer terribly with rash, but not really now after a month of DE shaving (still get cut though!)

I'd suggest proper preparation, and make sure your lather is as 'cushiony' as possible (the last time I cut myself really badly I had crap lather).

I also use Witchhazel post shave, then apply a good balm (Trumpers in my case).

Good luck!

It should not be like this and If every shave was as rough as it sounds for you it would put me off a bit. I hate having a face like a plucked chicken and apart form how it looks it really can hurt right through the day.

I have to shave every day for work. I just do a simple two pass shave and this is all that I need or want most days. Even at that I usually use a mild blade like a Personna or similar. I find the Yellows a little sharp for every day use but there should be no reason why the Yellows or the Macca Root should be the cause of your rash.

Once in a blue moon I have read of guys who say they have a definite reaction to a soap (or ingredient). It unlikely to be the soap but you never know so worth trying do try something different. Certainly there is nothing to loose from trying a Palmolive stick, if it is the lather then maybe a different soap will help you get it better.

Proraso is really good and easy lathering, my skin feels a tad tight after shaving with it but this is easily countered with a little moisturiser.

Maca Root used to irritate me. For 49p you can't go wrong with a Palmolive stick, it's good stuff and I found it easy to learn to lather with. Plus you can buy a second soap and remain guilt free!

As mentioned above, pressure, that was the hardest thing for me to master, and I still struggle with it a bit.

Back
Top Bottom