Short SE summary?

Lol,
he is right.
Now now Paul, I haven't given up on the 1912, just trying to be consistent.
Only using the 1912, 1924, MMOC and trying to get an edge on this Rolls.
*shoves the R41 and Slant under a flannel*

Right, so, just try an SE I thought.
1912 UK
1912 US
MMOC

Lol,
he is right.
Now now Paul, I haven't given up on the 1912, just trying to be consistent.
Only using the 1912, 1924, MMOC and trying to get an edge on this Rolls.
*shoves the R41 and Slant under a flannel*

Right, so, just try an SE I thought.
1912 UK
1912 US
MMOC
You missed a Streamline !!

Tut tut, phillistine.
Can I ask you good gents a question?
You know when you say '2 pass shave' or '3 pass shave'
Do you actually mean that the blade only passes over the same part of face just twice or thrice?
Or is it just a phrase?

To me, it means that the whole face has been shaved two or three times. I'm down to a single daily pass now, which suits me very well, but previously, I'd say I did a two pass shave: lather up and shave once, lather up and shave again to pick up the stragglers.

Hmmm, ok.
I suddenly realised that is what people might mean.
Even on the cheek I go over the same spot loads of times.
But I hadn't really thought about it.
I kind of think of that as one pass.
:)

I am currently consolidating my thoughts you see.
Working stuff out a bit.
I generally get a pretty good shave. BBS in most places. Learned my face etc.
But looking to improve.
Am I doing something wrong?
Can I achieve it in less goes? Is that an angle thing?
I use the cheek as the best example as it is the least complicated.
I go wtg, xtg then atg. but really, I go wtg, xtg, atg atg atg atg atg atg sort of thing.

In fact, I have thought of another question.
Chatter. Is that when the blade kind of catches the hair and jumps?
Leaving lines in the lather?
Why does that happen please?

There has been all sorts mentioned about blade chatter in Forums...A bit too loosely like a lot of things..If a blade chatter's it usually indicates that the angle seriously wrong...An SE blade & or a DE blade can Vibrate or get snaggy if it catches hair...Again that's an angle issue most of the time...Older SE razors can Chatter or vibrate a bit because the modern Gem blade is not as rigid as the original blades...The spine was also thicker in the original blades as well..o_O

These differences can cause blade chatter or vibration because the angle of the blade is not correct because of the thinner spine...A shim can sort this out but you are left with the Gem blade being less rigid than the original stropping blade...Vintage DE razors can chatter or vibrate as well for similar reasons...Some of the older DE blades were thicker than current ones...:eek:

All of the above point to Angle issues...:)

Billy

I am currently consolidating my thoughts you see.
Working stuff out a bit.
I generally get a pretty good shave. BBS in most places. Learned my face etc.
But looking to improve.
Am I doing something wrong?
Can I achieve it in less goes? Is that an angle thing?
I use the cheek as the best example as it is the least complicated.
I go wtg, xtg then atg. but really, I go wtg, xtg, atg atg atg atg atg atg sort of thing.
Everybody's ATG is different....Mine is mostly Across the Face..Get to know your own growth patterns and map them in your mind....The standard so called WTG, ATG & XTG are a good starting point that's all...There is no definitive way for everybody but that's a good starting point to learn good technique...I can do a singe pass an all...There is no razor on the planet that can offer a BBS on one pass or anything like it for that matter..o_O

Billy

Right, I thought it might be.
So, more specifically, the DE blades seem different than the SEs and injectors, like it is a different thing.
Almost like they flex. (Don't know if that is my imagination)

The SE and injectors create like ripples in the sand. It grabs the hair, moves the skin a few mm and lets go.
It is quite fun, you can see it happening.
So, angle of dangle then.

I am guessing angle is the same reason I am going over the same spot multiple times then.

Right, I thought it might be.
So, more specifically, the DE blades seem different than the SEs and injectors, like it is a different thing.
Almost like they flex. (Don't know if that is my imagination)

The SE and injectors create like ripples in the sand. It grabs the hair, moves the skin a few mm and lets go.
It is quite fun, you can see it happening.
So, angle of dangle then.

I am guessing angle is the same reason I am going over the same spot multiple times then.
That almost sounds like the lather not being slick enough or too much pressure. If my skin would move a few mm it would freak me out..

Everybody's ATG is different....Mine is mostly Across the Face..Get to know your own growth patterns and map them in your mind....The standard so called WTG, ATG & XTG are a good starting point that's all...There is no definitive way for everybody but that's a good starting point to learn good technique...I can do a singe pass an all...There is no razor on the planet that can offer a BBS on one pass or anything like it for that matter..o_O

Billy
Yes, I learned my face.
I took pictures because I wasn't really getting it by feel.
I discovered all sorts, swirls, hair that goes completely against the run of the grain, stuff that just grows against my face, never sticks up.
I have, like most I am sure, got all sorts of things going on.
I discovered that I have a couple of different square cm where hairs literally travel in all directions.
I have tried telling them, but they don't listen.
It was a really good way of finding stuff out. Quite fun.

This is why I am just using the cheek as an example. It is much more straight forward.
No corners and stuff and all goes in roughly the same direction.

Yes, I learned my face.
I took pictures because I wasn't really getting it by feel.
I discovered all sorts, swirls, hair that goes completely against the run of the grain, stuff that just grows against my face, never sticks up.
I have, like most I am sure, got all sorts of things going on.
I discovered that I have a couple of different square cm where hairs literally travel in all directions.
I have tried telling them, but they don't listen.
It was a really good way of finding stuff out. Quite fun.

This is why I am just using the cheek as an example. It is much more straight forward.
No corners and stuff and all goes in roughly the same direction.
If you do a 3 pass shave, you should pick up the stragglers.

Try shaving WTG (north to south), XTG ( ear to nose), then GTX (nose to ear).

Don't worry about BBS. That will happen in time.

Back
Top Bottom