Show off your TSR 2016 LE Shavemac brushes

My knot has loosened up nicely, nowhere near as harsh or unforgiving. I didn't have any scritch from new but the tips are certainly getting very soft now. I couldn't be any happier with it.

That is great news Gordy, when looking at your knot do you have many inverted or black shafts showing through on the surface of the knot?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

No Nishy the tips are all very uniform and believe me I know every single little detail on it, sad but true nonetheless. Shedding wise, I lost maybe a dozen over the first two lathers but none since then. There are however a couple of persistent little stragglers sticking out at the side.
It would be very difficult to mash this knot and I'd hazard a guess, probably less effective anyway. I'm stunned at the time it takes and the subsequent quality of lather, all just on the tips. I know my lather was very good already with boar but as you know, this on a completely different level. It is so much more voluminous and dense with this knot, and therefore more protective.
I'm even going to attempt to lather the impossible later, C&E Sienna soap! You remember that?

Haha yes the unlatherable C&E! I beat up my MWF a couple of days back, very surprised at how easy it was to load compared with my other brushes. Definitely a different quality of lather, its probably down to the product used but as always I get more voluminous lather with my Shavemacs.

That is great news Gordy, when looking at your knot do you have many inverted or black shafts showing through on the surface of the knot?

Had a better look at the knot this evening. Whilst none of the black shafts show through on the surface, they are there. They are just about a centimetre below the tips and appear thicker. Would these be 2 band hairs, to give the knot it's backbone?
The tips in today's shave were difficult to feel, really soft. I hadn't done it previously but when lathering I pushed into my face much harder than I had and you soon feel those stiffer hairs!

Two band just denotes the two visible parts of the hair knot. Or if you like an original 3 band hair set lower. Black hairs are the shaft of hair as opposed to the very (white) tip, my LE previous to this had zero black shafts on show. I believe your bulb may show less, mainly down to the shape.

The lather generated has also been a real surprise to me, with the tips softening up it really is a contender for number one spot. It is hard to give it number 1 due to my last LE doing everything the D01 does (with regards to loading and resulting lather) but with zero scritch.

Once the scritch dies down the high density allowing for more concentrated lather painting will knock it off.

Two band just denotes the two visible parts of the hair knot. Or if you like an original 3 band hair set lower. Black hairs are the shaft of hair as opposed to the very (white) tip, my LE previous to this had zero black shafts on show. I believe your bulb may show less, mainly down to the shape.

What I meant was these appear to be thicker than the rest of the 3 band hairs. Perhaps they are just inverted as you stated earlier, if they are thicker at their base. Otherwise, could they be 2 band hairs, supposedly thicker? I was thinking these may have been inserted to give the knot sufficient backbone, such as displayed by a 2 band knot, no?

I think it may just be hair batch related. My first LE (173 2 band silvertip bulb) had quite a few shafts showing but has no scritch. Which makes me think it's just density based and as others more experienced have told me it will soften with further use. I'm happy to use it anyway, the scritch currently is minimal and as mentioned mellowing out quickly.

My last LE also had zero dark hairs, but the latest D01-2 band has quite a few. I noticed these with other knots that have more backbone from other manufacturers so I am guessing it's either just an inherent issue with hairs from this region, or part of the badger, or they are allowed as they help to add the backbone strength to the knot.

I suspect these are what give the itial "scritch" so must either soften up, or break-off at the tip with use????

Has anyone got a D01-2band knot from a while ago.... Did this have lots of darker hairs too?

Matt

Used some LPL yesterday and it made some great lather really easy!
Is still after 8 usses a little scritshy!!
Hopefully this will go away with more use!

Hey Matt I have a DO1 2band from about a year ago at a shorter loft too. It has a few black shafts but not as many as this LE. Saying that it's a 24mm so smaller in width. Also it exhibits zero scritch but did have some for the first 7 shaves.

Yep they are apart from the XMAS 2015 LE which has absolutely no visible black shafts. Also absent from a few private purchases.

If it helps gentlemen, I have a dozen or more hand-tied Simpson LE manchurians and they all have a liberal mix of the black shafts. I suspect it's just the hair batch as it would be difficult to mix them in intentionally to stiffen the knot. Again, there's tremendous variation from batch to batch as I do have some with less and some with more and there does seem some correlation between their presence and initial scritch levels. They do eventually soften up with regular use, longer soaking seems to help as well :)

Same here. I've got three now and one custom en route ....mine have no scritch in these knots. It's only with the Shavemac D01 and the Simpson LE Manchurian's that you'll encounter the super thick and resilient hair.

Back
Top Bottom