Show off your TSR 2016 LE Shavemac brushes

5th use with my DO1 2band today. Scritch has almost gone, coming up to my magic number 7. Great brush especially when painting. But I have made my decision in that this brush comes in second after my last 26mm LE Shavemac 2 band silvertip. That brush has a totally different face feel, more luxurious if that's possible.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

I think tonight was my seventh shave, I think it's getting less scritchy but it still has a hint of the cactus about it. It's fine when painting, but going in circles to build lather it's decidedly prickly. It's going to have to improve for me to love it.

At the moment I'm thinking that my ideal would be the 26mm two-band silvertip but set a bit lower than the Xmas LE. I don't know if the same loft as the first LE would work with the 26mm knot? The first LE is perfect in terms of face feel, the second in terms of size.

I hear you Chris, I feel the same, love the painting feel but not circular motions. Unless of course it further softens.
IMO I wouldn't go lower than a 48mm loft on the 26mm.

My 3 band bulb didn't have any scritch but I'd have said the knot was harsh; no give in the backbone at all - I thought I'd bought a wire brush for a bit! It's loosening up well now, blooming better, which is coming across as softer. I'm only four shaves in though (about eight practice lathers too) so I'd say there's still some breaking in to do. It's going to be very difficult for me to use any other type of brush now though, as I'm so impressed with the lathering ability.

Mine is starting to soften up but I hear you about the prickly feeling with circular motions. I think the loft on these is perfect, any lower and it would have been downright uncomfortable. This stiffness is the reason I moved away from 2band D01 knots many years ago.

Along the same lines, Bernds 2band silvertips (non-D01) are a joy to use. I ordered a brush around the same time as the group buy and love it so much that I have another one in transit from Bernd, different handle, same knot and same specs (28mm/52mm). Good backbone, with no prickly feel whatsoever. I believe you lucky folks have samples of this knot from previous group buys already.

Hey Sameer yep the last LE, wonderful brush. I'm hoping my DO1 2band softens over the next few uses, I have to say the scritch has reduced largely which makes me think it could completely 'dissolve' over time. Any one had 15 or more uses as of yet with a fan?

Yep, the resulting lather is very impressive, I'm almost certain this is due to picking up more soap when loading. In fact I've modified my loading technique somewhat. I give the brush one flick after a pre soak, load the soap. After a minute I wash the soap puck and load again for another 30 seconds then I add around 5ml of water to the top of the brush and straight to a face lather. I seem to get that perfect shiny, hard candy, yoghurt type lather very quickly. Good stuff. No more hairs loss since my second shave which is also good.

Nishy just reading about that lather makes me wanna shave! How sad are we?! Luckily I never had any hair loss from day one, and only a couple during my first lather with the second brush from Bernd that arrived at the same time as this LE.

I think I'm going to swear off the Castle Forbes for a little while (sob!) and start feeding it Harris, hopefully the hard soap will help to soften it up, if the scritch goes it will be outstanding. Mine does still have a faint badger funk when it's wet, so it's obviously not reached its full potential yet as my other two Shavemacs don't smell of anything now. I've had no further hair loss either, so the loose ones seem to have worked themselves out.

The non-D01 two bands are fantastic. At some point I'm thinking of contacting Bernd about a custom but will be waiting until my D01's been well used to see how the knot develops.

It's all Nishy's fault, I was quite happy with my synthetics, dismissing badgers as over-priced and floppy until I got my first Shavemac. :p

Back
Top Bottom