Simpson Brushes

Hi Gary and welcome.

Its interesting to me that you said you still used Catalin up until the the late eighties. That fits in nicely with an Asprey Chubby 2 I bought which had a purchase note dated in 1985, it has of course now turned yellow which is now a desirable feature in its own right.

Any reason why you were still using Catalin when more stable plastic resins were available?

We used catalin because we found it an easier material to use on our lathes. All our machinery was powered by water wheel and we found the newer products didn't turn so well. Our machines could only turn at certain speeds because of the water power factor. The newer materials tended to chip.

I have fond memories of visiting Aspreys with my grandfather and father. Sitting in their workshops with their silversmiths - absolutely spellbound at what they made. Our other business Coate's used to make Valet Sets for Rolls Royce, working alonside Aspreys.

Your brush would have been made by a chap called Stan Archer - he was our best brush maker and used to make all the Asprey range we produced. Hope my answer is helpful!

Yes, thank you.

Gary Young said:
JAlso I have been asked to do an interview for Badger & Blade. I should start charging!!!

You should charge them, but only because they'd find a reason for charging you in an instant. :lol:

Hi Gary,

You mention Stan Archer being your best brush maker. I have a couple of brushes made from that era, both Chubby 2's with different hair types and knot shapes.

Was it simply the brush makers preference as to what knot shape was adopted and did hair type influence knot shape?

I ask this because if you look hard enough you'll find plenty of references to the preferred knot shape of "Somerset Simpsons" because they were more fan like.

I wish I had a brush from the era of when your family had the business. I love stuff like that!

You think our members can post pics of there brushes that were made in the era of Garys family owning simpsons? Would be nice to see how they've stood the test of time/gracefully aged.

Gary has written about the way to use and care for a shaving brush that has been followed by the Simpsons family. I quote it here:

"As far as how to use a Simpson brush that's an easy one. From Great Uncle Alex down to myself, the males of the family have always used the same method with a brush (and whenever asked we always gave the same answers!). The brush should be used like a paint brush, stroking across the beard area, never with circular motions as this can loosen the knot and cause uneven wear of the badger hair. I use both bowl and face lathering. So long as you stick to the 'paint brush' method a Simpson brush will last for years - both myself and my father use brushes which are over 20 years old and still going strong! Another tip would be to always store the brush upright after rinsing through with warm water and then gently squeezing any excess water out of the head from the base of the knot upwards. Never shake the brush to dry! Hope that helps, but of course that is only our family's advice!"

Gary, you will find that the majority of today's shaving enthusiasts are more interested in using their brush effectively and enjoying it's use rather than adopting a method mainly intended to preserve the life of the brush. Just look at Mantic's videos, the guy who has done more than anyone to promote the wet shaving community. His swirling circular motions would have given your family nightmares!

And I think your rinsing and drying routine will get a few people thinking. I for one will find it difficult not to give a brush a few shakes before leaving it to dry.

Thanks Fido. I have heard the advice about 'painting' when face lathering. If that's the case, how should I create the lather in the first place? Surely it is the swirling motions that makes the lather. I have wondered this for some time now...

Let the ass kissing begin...

Fido said:
I've just sent a message to Gary at SMF.

Don't forget to send Bernard666/Gordon my best wishes and please inform him his Stubby complimentary brush is on the way and I expect stellar reviews.

Gary Young said:
Joe

Braced and ready!!! Lol

I am answering questions on 3 forum sites at the mo! Also I have been asked to do an interview for Badger & Blade. I should start charging!!!

Considering the way they run things over there you must. It's not a forum about the community it's business oriented.

What is your favourite Simpsons model?

What's your ideal knot and loft height? For me it's 18, 20, 22/46, 48 and 55.

I was told that Simpsons is uncomfortable making fan/Bell-shape profiles. If this is true why is this so?

Pig Cat said:
Thanks Fido. I have heard the advice about 'painting' when face lathering. If that's the case, how should I create the lather in the first place? Surely it is the swirling motions that makes the lather. I have wondered this for some time now...

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YKg5r_JkgQA[/youtube]

I don't think it's a case of the swirling motions being required to create the lather, but they're surely required to pick the lather up from a soap puck in the first place. I read Gary's post on another forum last night and decided to try it out this morning. I swirled the brush on Tabac to pick the soap up and managed to generate the normal type of lather by using paint brush type motions, it took a bit longer to get the lather going but it was the same consistency as usual. Just feels less intuitive to me to do it this way.

Gary Young said:
Hi guys! Be gentle with me - it has been manic on the US forum!!

Welcome to TSR Gary. It's been interesting reading about your memories and experiences on the other forum.

I have one rather impertinent question that you can feel free to ignore if you wish. Why did your family make the decision to sell the business? I can imagine it must have been a difficult one to take. Was the business model just not applicable any more in the days of shaving gels and 5 blade cartridge razors?

James

Hello and welcome to TSR, from a cold Sweden. It´s very nice to see you here :D If I may, one question: Did all these two and three band super/finest excist back in your time?

My father does his exactly like Robert to and fro except he face lathers over bowl. To be honest with you Jim paint or rotary the bristles would shed upon initial stages no matter how light the motions are. I found rotary more suitable for me.

Back
Top Bottom