Simpsons 'Super' or Shavemac D01?

Super or D01?

• Simpsons 'Super'

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Advice needed lads.

I bought, thanks to a members discount, a Chubby 2 in Best about two months ago from Diamond Edge. Love it.
But that time has come, you know, when I have more money than sense and fancy adding to the collection...

I'm really torn between the Chubby 2 in three band Super and trying a Shavemac D01, possibly 28mm, about the same knot size as the Chubby 2.

Have any of you had any experience with the D01, and in particular, a D01 knot of about 28mm?
I face lather soaps almost exclusively, if that makes any difference.

Cheers gents.

Rob

Perhaps a poll would help...

I think the only active member with a D01 two band is Konstantinos and he's off line at the moment.

My two pennys worth are a CH2 three band super will be different (finer and possibly denser) to the CH2 Best but not that different and on that basis I'd get a D01 two band, if it's primarily for soap I'd also opt for something a tad smaller than 28mm.

antdad said:
I think the only active member with a D01 two band is Konstantinos and he's off line at the moment.

My two pennys worth are a CH2 three band super will be different (finer and possibly denser) to the CH2 Best but not that different and on that basis I'd get a D01 two band, if it's primarily for soap I'd also opt for something a tad smaller than 28mm.

Cheers for that... With regards the 28mm knot. I'm 'easy' on that, just I really like the size and feel of the Chubby 2 so I assumed I'd want to go with a similar sized knot for D01.

Different shaped knots behave and feel differently, fan rather than bulb shape has a bit more spread and can feel like a larger knot and hair type makes a large difference. I suggested something a little smaller than 28mm for soap because generally it will prove easier to use. ie. with a stiffish brush like 2 band you'll need to pick up less soap per quantity of water.

antdad said:
Different shaped knots behave and feel differently, fan rather than bulb shape has a bit more spread and can feel like a larger knot and hair type makes a large difference. I suggested something a little smaller than 28mm for soap because generally it will prove easier to use. ie. with a stiffish brush like 2 band you'll need to pick up less soap per quantity of water.

Ah right. Cheers for the heads up.

I'll try and answear, but I'm a grasshopper compared to Tony. However I've got both a regular D01 and a two band D01 and a Chubby 2 in super...

In general the D01s are denser, my two band is a 30 mm knot though and the reg. D01 a 23 mm. The 30 mm is a massive face brush with a fanish type of head, the other more bulped shaped. The 23 mm was very similiar to a Simpson Sommerset PJ3 in super (more dense than my other Simpsons) I once had, very nice brush too!

The above brushes are all fantistic brushes, but I would pick the Chubby 2 over them anyway. It's such a fantastic brush. If had one in best allready, I dunno. Why not go for a Simpson Chubby 3 or Polo 8 in two band - those are fantastic, I think and close to the ideal brush, in my mind. Shavemac makes truly great brushes too, no question about that, but I think Simpsons have an edge over them.

On another note: Why not ask one of our brush makers to make you a brush? I think Bill/Beejay and Neep/Rod makes the most astonishing brushes! You can then decide whatever knot and handle style you want ... :D If you want a Simpson knot Bill's your man, he has very good relations with them. If you want a little denser bristle type, Rod's your man ...

Ah...forgot you had a D01 2B Mikael, I'm feeling a little left out.

Well Perished you have two differing opinions, Mik has a CH2 Super and clearly loves it whereas I have an older Somerset CH2 Super & modern CH2 2B and I wouldn't really care for owning one in Best, not because it's inferior but I wouldn't gain a hugely different experience from what I already have.

antdad said:
Ah...forgot you had a D01 2B Mikael, I'm feeling a little left out.

Well Perished you have two differing opinions, Mik has a CH2 Super and clearly loves it whereas I have an older Somerset CH2 Super & modern CH2 2B and I wouldn't really care for owning one in Best, not because it's inferior but I wouldn't gain a hugely different experience from what I already have.

Well, I could trade you the large Shavemac for a fantastic Simpson ... :D or I could also lend it to you ... It's truly a crazy brush (good way)!

Thanks for the offer(s) but just too big for me Mik...sorely tempted by my own advice actually, 26mm 2B D01 would be just about right (for me).

I have four Simpson brushes -actually three now after a recent PIF- and two more (custom ones, Polo 8 and 10) on the way right now as we speak.

The Shavemac I have is the 26mm D01 custom. If I remember correctly it has a 50mm loft.

It is a very luxurious brush, and very very dense. Its characteristic is the ultra soft hair tips, its density and the demolinshing backbone. No soap can stop this brush. This brush needs about 20 runs to start breaking-in.

I paid for it 175 eur in Feb 2011, incl. delivery.

I think it is very nice to have a Shavemac, but personally I would be inclined to get a good Simpson in 2B Super over a Shavemac anytime. However if one has a few Simpsons, a Shavemac is always a nice addition.

IMG_2040.jpg

SOTD_30Mar.jpg

SOTD_29Mar.jpg

SOTD_02Mar.jpg

SOTD_01Mar.jpg

IMG_1908.jpg

N_Architect said:
I have four Simpson brushes -actually three now after a recent PIF- and two more (custom ones, Polo 8 and 10) on the way right now as we speak.

The Shavemac I have is the 26mm D01 custom. If I remember correctly it has a 50mm loft.

It is a very luxurious brush, and very very dense. Its characteristic is the ultra soft hair tips, its density and the demolinshing backbone. No soap can stop this brush. This brush needs about 20 runs to start breaking-in.

I paid for it 175 eur in Feb 2011, incl. delivery.

I think it is very nice to have a Shavemac, but personally I would be inclined to get a good Simpson in 2B Super over a Shavemac anytime. However if one has a few Simpsons, a Shavemac is always a nice addition.

IMG_1908.jpg

That must be one beast of a brush, it came caged!!

:icon_razz:

Cheers all. Simpsons getting a lot of loving here, and rightly so. All views appreciated. The D01 does sound interesting I must say, great to see people who own and use that type of hair posting, thanks.

Dipesh said:
I'd like to own a D01 one day. This thread is getting rather dangerous for my credit card!!

:icon_twisted:

I just can't decide. Think I'll email Diamond Edge, see if they have any chubby 2 Super brushes in, two band.
That may sway it one way or the other...

If you can fund the buy of a Chubby#2 super, look at the Simspon GYLE.

It is a classy silvertip probably close to a three band D01 with a beautiful handle and a semi fan shape loft. Very very nice brush if you're not focused on the maximum backbone a two band would provide.

Back
Top Bottom