Single Edge by Supply Provision - are you getting one?

This update was just released and something you may not have seen if you are not a backer.
The good news: they are still on-track for a March release.

============================================================================================

Hey backers!

This is going to be a short, but exciting update. We received some images back from the manufacturers today that I couldn't wait to share with you. Take a look! There are some captions with each image, and then a better explanation of everything down below.

c66360b77c39fcf3f782e1875ce84f41_original.jpg

These are our wax molds - also referred to as tools or patterns.
8cf104bd743a33152565bb77e505e0ec_original.jpg

Wax razors! Careful - NOT for shaving.
0cc621ccd546bbd8b5f619c7d0114302_original.jpg

Freshly cast razors! More work to do...
571a20f62edf4738886cddafafff2ac7_original.jpg

Freshly cast razor heads!
As you can see in the images above, we are well on the way to having some final razors in hand! You see in the images above a few very important things: (1) Our razor "tooling", (2) our wax patterns, and (3) some ALMOST final razors. Want to know what that means? read on...

The manufacturing process we've chosen for the razor is known as investment casting. This process is literally thousands of years old and very well understood. Even though it's a fairly straightforward process, it's easy to screw up if not done correctly. To produce our investment cast razors, there are a few steps we have to go through. I've found a fantastic graphic that illustrates this process very well. Take a look:

896477416586ffa985803eb0b6b19650_original.jpg

Source: http://ppcpinc.com/ppcp-process/
So if you apply the above graphic to our photos, you can get a better idea of what you're looking at in the images. The first photo above is our wax mold (step 1), into which the wax is injected. The second photo is the resultant wax pattern (step 2), which will be taken through steps 3-5. Finally, after Step 6, we have the other two images - rough parts.

NOT shown in the images above, is steps 7 and 8 - polishing and testing. That's exactly what we're doing right now. After the casting, the razor goes through some extensive post-machining and polishing, to clean up the rough edges that you see in the images above. Rest assured, these images above do NOT represent the final product you will be receiving.

So, that's the short story of where we are today! To be honest, I was really hoping to show you final, polished versions of the razor in this update, but we're not quite there yet. My manufacturer is very concerned about the quality and presentation of the final product (which is why I chose them), so they have taken a bit longer than anticipated to iron out some of the final details. That being said, we are still within our original delivery estimate of March 2016 - which will be here before we know it!
=================================================================================================================

Also missed the Kickstarter, but as a recent convert to single edge I to am in. Having the three baseplates should make a big difference, we shall see. Mongoose suddenly have a lot to contend with.
They recon that the one pack of 20 blades equates to six months shaves. No name was given for the blade but I was wondering if they are Persona ?? A little something to look forward to.

The 5th February Kickstarter Manufacturing Update from Single Edge looks good, but the creator cautions this; quote

"Schedule
Good news, bad news, and great news. The good news is that if everything goes according to plan, we are still on track for deliveries by the end of March. The bad news is that things often don't go according to plan.

I cannot tell you how dedicated I am to shipping these razors to you by my March commitment. However, I want to prepare everyone for the idea that our shipment date might slip into April. I know this will come as a disappointment to many, but I promise you that I'm doing everything I can to meet our March timeline. However, there's one thing I refuse to compromise on to get there, and that's the quality of the final product."

As a Kickstarter backer who's had one first-class experience (Blackland), and one less than satisfactory (no names, no pack drill, but it begins with R), I'm not too unhappy to wait a little to get a top-quality finished product in preference to something rushed.

Took the plunge today for the Custom option with a travel bag. Seems to me the perfect travel razor as you can get away with taking a single blade... but we shall see.

Read the update yesterday about their machining setback and how they decided to just subcontract to CNC the plates, rather than have us wait longer...... Have to hand it to them; they're getting things done so far. That has to be worth a few future customer brownie points, certainly.

Just checked them out again today, I'd say they were doing everything in their power to get things moving.
Those first batch heads being CNC machine should be something to behold.
Anyone want to buy a OneBlade ???

Just checked them out again today, I'd say they were doing everything in their power to get things moving.
Those first batch heads being CNC machine should be something to behold.
Anyone want to buy a OneBlade ???

Yeah I checked in with Patrick over there a few days ago and;
a) They are on-track to start shipping in early May, and
b) The CNC machined plates will be for kickstarter orders AND for pre-orders on their site.

I'm really looking forward to receiving mine. The big problem is that there are so many SEs coming along at once. I have my name down for a Rocnel, the ATT looks great, and there are a couple of others I fancy. Too many decisions, too much temptation.

Ferrum

I'm really looking forward to receiving mine. The big problem is that there are so many SEs coming along at once. I have my name down for a Rocnel, the ATT looks great, and there are a couple of others I fancy. Too many decisions, too much temptation.

Ferrum

True. Top of my head I can think of;
- Rocnel,
- The General,
- ATT SE,
- The Bunny,
- Single Edge,
- ?

I don't personally believe we'll ever see the Falcon or Beluga.

Back
Top Bottom