So, who's given up on Woolfat?

I tried, tried again.

And tried again. I tried soaking the puck. I tried using a dry puck.

I tried a wet brush, and a shaken out brush. I tried in a shaving bowl, and in a scuttle. I tried on the face.

I tried boar and badger, and various combinations of the above.

I simply cannot get decent lather out of this soap.

I get lather all right, lots of it. It's not the quantity that's the problem, it's the quality! It's just too airy and light, it moves around the face in clumps and is impossible to evenly cover my face with it. It looks like it will start to float around the bathroom at any minute.

It's now in the shower, where it sits looking cracked and miserable. It's not even a good shower soap.

And.... I don't see what all the fuss is about regarding skin care properties either. It's nice, it doesn't dry you out, but it's nothing special either. Tabac and Cade are just as good, IMHO.

So.... a vastly overrated soap in my view. I live in London, so maybe it's the water. Maybe I got a dud puck. Whatever, I'm never using the stuff again!

Am I alone?

No I don't think you are alone, I have heard of lots of people that use thier puck as a doorstop, others who say it is wonderful so it does seem to be a marmite soap.

I haven't tried it yet but for some reason the name conjures up the idea of the smell of wet sheep :eek: Not that I know what a wet sheep smells like lol but if it is anything like my dog then I won't like it.I even know that it won't smell this way but its what it brings to mind.

Talking about SWMBO I persuaded her to try the proraso pre/post as a before bed moisturiser (I had just shaved and was raving about it ) lol she came into the bedroom with her eyes streaming and turning red.... I forgot to mention to keep it away from the eyes :shock: that went down well lol

jhclare said:
So.... a vastly overrated soap in my view. I live in London, so maybe it's the water. Maybe I got a dud puck. Whatever, I'm never using the stuff again!

Am I alone?

I doubt it - as a test, I even obtained some "London Water" (from Thurrock actually - via a contact I have in P&G's powder detergent R&D site in Newcastle) to see if I could get this "hard to lather" experience... other than needing more soap on the brush, I couldn't - perhaps I'm just lucky?

Far from giving up on it, I stocked up on it (expectation: what I have will last me about 2 years, if the first cake is any guide it'll actually do nearer 6)

From what you have said I would try a few more things.

Try a drier brush...squeeze hard and shake.
Use the stiffest brush you got so you can load that brush fairly hard.
If you get airy suds when you are working the puck, work through that until a cream starts to form on the puck.
Seems like MWF seems quite prone to dehydration hence the cracking and maybe the inconsistency, keep it hydrated even if you don't use it.
I remember folks mentioning a "skin" on the MWF that you have to get through before you can get a good lather, I'm not sure about that, I just think the puck might need to be hydrated (no cracks) for it to work at its best.
Water seems to a factor but what can you do about that?

Once you get it you'll wonder what all the fuss was...hope this is of help.

Boab said:
Talking about SWMBO I persuaded her to try the proraso pre/post as a before bed moisturiser (I had just shaved and was raving about it ) lol she came into the bedroom with her eyes streaming and turning red.... I forgot to mention to keep it away from the eyes :shock: that went down well lol

One hot summer night on holiday in the South of France my late wife was delghted to find an "ice-cream like" container in the fridge marked "Almond" that her spouse had clearly been hoarding.
The upshot of this was her discovery that she did not like the taste of TOBS Almond and a total ban of non-food products in the fridge.
Women - eh ?

I love the stuff.
It took a bit of getting used to. I have fairly hard water and initially I was unimpressed. Now I just put plenty of soap on the (badger) brush and it's great.

No Never! MWF is a great soap and has been part of my weekly rotation for years. You just have to load it more on the brush and add a little water at a time rather than soaking it. Works far better with a short loft stiff brush such as a small Omega Boar.

I quit using MWF. I simply doesn't work for me.
I sold it to someone who hopefully would be able to produce decent lather with it.

"the name conjures up the idea of the smell of wet sheep "

The smell for me is comforting, familiar, warm - it's a Yorkshire valleys smell. Ratty keeps coming back to it for that reason.

Back
Top Bottom