Soap A Week Club (SAW)....voting for next week's soap

Used Speick for the first time in a long time today - rubbed into the grooves of a suribachi bowl and also loaded onto brush. It took a bit of playing with extra water to get the right consistency but I ended up with a very nice creamy lather. Streamline and stainless Gem - another combination not used for well over a year and I ended up very smooth

Today I face lathered with the big Omega 49 again. Same loooong soak and bloom as two days ago, to make sure it was no fluke. It was no fluke. Plenty of lather generated from plenty of soap and plenty of water. I used my aluminium 1972 Gillette Tech with a fresh PolSilver blade. A very mild razor. Again, the lather was not as slick as I'd like it to be, but good enough for now. After four passes there was still plenty of lather in the brush, so given the mildness of the razor I went for a fifth pass ATG. Not something I would want to do every day, but the result was BBS and irritation free. There might have been enough lather for a sixth pass, but enough is enough. I think I'll stick with the Omega 49 for a little while after this week. I still prefer the Speick cream over the soap, though.

Used my 2 band silvertip 24mm on the grated Speick stick today. I have now got the accurate amount of water/bloom/load time honed in. Usual slick thick lather with a wonderful scent. The silvertip (probably through holding more water) produced the best lather of the three bristle types I have used, I used the same load time and pre soak. A great shave and product. I keep thinking of ways to improve the soap but I keep getting great results so I am at a loss here.

The poll is now open for next week and we are entertaining the 'T's'

Guys I was thinking of this thread last night, and previous threads whereby the poll option seemed not to work. So in retrospect perhaps we could take it in turns (weekly) to choose the next soap. Whoever decides on the soap picks the next person and so on. What do you guys think?

Todays shave was with a Shavemac DO1 3 band and I think I picked up too much soap, with the addition of much water I soon had the hard candy shiny lather. Cushion seems to be slightly less than others but the slickness is definitely impressive. Skin is looking and feeling great.

Pre: Zirh pre-shave oil
Soap: Speick stick grated into a tub
Bowl: Fine Accoutrements
Brush: Muhle 23mm Kosmo synthetic
Razor: Schick Injector Dial Adj @7 + Injector Twin (6)
After: WH, Speick Active AS, Coral Skin Food

I think this will be my last Speick SAW. After 6 days I think I need an "anything can happen Saturday" for a bit of variety.

So what of Speick? Best soap stick to holiday with; small, easy to use, lightly scented to not tire of using for a weeklong holiday. The packaging is bobbins - so I'd want to rehouse it into a La Toja style container instead.
Skin conditioning is good and well balanced; not too moisturising, not too dry. AS is right up there with the very best.
BTW: A week of using this soap still doesn't seem to have made much of dent in it. How long will this stuff last?!

I'm wondering now when people have different post-shave skin feel whether it's because some rinse off the soap and some just towel off the soap. I'm a rinser.

I'm ok with someone choosing the next person to select a SAW for the next week. I'd think that there'd need to be some discussion about who's got that specific soap so it could take a few days of deliberation. The chooser could suggest a couple of soaps from which we agree on a single one for the week.

650cc59f-b6a8-4968-a4d9-75203b9bf829_zpsq0lhwnkp.jpg

Used my "Double Edged Shavette" yesterday with a Derby blade(of course), and just had to dig out the tube of Derby Menthol. Nice combination.
The shave with this setup is a little strange. The Shavette's head is that of a DE razor but you shave with the head almost flat on your skin... Strange[emoji33]

Anyway my candidate is the "Derby Menthol!"

Pre: Zirh pre-shave oil
Soap: Speick stick grated into a tub
Bowl: Fine Accoutrements
Brush: Muhle 23mm Kosmo synthetic
Razor: Schick Injector Dial Adj @7 + Injector Twin (6)
After: WH, Speick Active AS, Coral Skin Food

I think this will be my last Speick SAW. After 6 days I think I need an "anything can happen Saturday" for a bit of variety.

So what of Speick? Best soap stick to holiday with; small, easy to use, lightly scented to not tire of using for a weeklong holiday. The packaging is bobbins - so I'd want to rehouse it into a La Toja style container instead.
Skin conditioning is good and well balanced; not too moisturising, not too dry. AS is right up there with the very best.
BTW: A week of using this soap still doesn't seem to have made much of dent in it. How long will this stuff last?!

I'm wondering now when people have different post-shave skin feel whether it's because some rinse off the soap and some just towel off the soap. I'm a rinser.

I'm ok with someone choosing the next person to select a SAW for the next week. I'd think that there'd need to be some discussion about who's got that specific soap so it could take a few days of deliberation. The chooser could suggest a couple of soaps from which we agree on a single one for the week.

650cc59f-b6a8-4968-a4d9-75203b9bf829_zpsq0lhwnkp.jpg
I totally understand where your coming from I feel all speicked out I am craving something stronger scented. I also rinse after shaving but its the a/s that makes most difference to my skin as opposed to the soap in my mind, no way of really telling as way too many variables exist.

Used my "Double Edged Shavette" yesterday with a Derby blade(of course), and just had to dig out the tube of Derby Menthol. Nice combination.
The shave with this setup is a little strange. The Shavette's head is that of a DE razor but you shave with the head almost flat on your skin... Strange[emoji33]

Anyway my candidate is the "Derby Menthol!"
Dude your alive to tell the tale! Blimey I thought Derby's were like a hex never to be looked at directly and you threw the beast in a shavette!

As voting is not proving successful does anyone wish to choose a soap for next week, subject to at least a few guys owning it?

Today I added two drops of glycerin to the soap. Didn't make a lot of difference. Lots of good lather, but not as slick as others. I had a fantastic shave with the pass around Merkur 45 though. What a razor!
Tomorrow I'll try some shaving oil underneath the lather. I'm very glad I stuck with the soap and the Omega 49.
A week of using all Speick only. And now I'm out of Speick natural deodorant, but I don't think I'll buy some more. Alum is cheaper and works just as well. If I want to smell of Speick there are more effective ways :D

Could I suggest Truefitt and Hill?

I'm a bit of a fanboy but am having problems with their hard soaps. I would be interested to see if anyone is having any joy getting a decent lather with them.

Back
Top Bottom