SOTD Sat. 20th April to Fri. 26th April 2013

Last Night's

Prep: Hot Water Prep
Razor: Fatboy @ 7 then 5
Blade: Feather Hi-S
Brush: Simpsons Duke 2 Pure
Soap: Arko
A/S: Home Made batch + Aloe Vera Gel

Result: Another brilliant shave from the Fatboy with the feather blade.

Saturday

Schick G8 Injector with modern Chinese Schick blade
Simpsons Colonel X2L in best
Trumper's Coconut shaving soap
Barbershop Bay Rum
Astral Cream
Old Spice Vintage Shulton cologne

8667481051_47a318cb1e_c.jpg

Sunday

Edwin Jagger DE89L with single shim & Personna 'Lab Blue'
Hand carved New Century brush in Ash & pure bristle
Ingram Quality Lather Shave
Blue Stratos AS
Astral cream with English Lavender EO

8668566598_95245dbef9_c.jpg

Gairdner said:
Saturday

Schick G8 Injector with modern Chinese Schick blade

So, what's your first thought on using that injector? Isn't this something new to you? It can take a little while to figure out any tweaks needed and I know your opinion will probably change with more time on your face. Heh, even then, sometimes those early types aren't for everyone. I'm just curious how you find the stiffer blade and how it performs compared to a DE.

Martin

Sunday 22-04-13. MÚSICA: Jethro Tull - Thick as a Brick.

[video=youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9JEPeeohYs[/video]

d7cd03b6-7b89-4304-b7f7-bac2a716b0c6.jpg

Soap from Aleppo - Simpson Chubby 1 best badger - Gillette Rocket HD 500 - Polsilver #1 - Pre JASÖN - Shaving cream Geo F. Trumpers Coconut - Alum block - Thayers Original - ASB Myrsol Emulsión - ASL Myrsol Antesol.

Sunday 21st April

sotd21413.jpg

Warm shower
Hot flannel
Taylor's Grapefruit cream scuttle lathered
Simpsons Colonel X2L best badger brush
Merkur Progress short handle set at 2.5
Sputnik (2)
Cold rinse
Witch hazel
Myrsol Lemon aftershave

Clean, smooth and comfortable shave today :icon_biggrin:

Brian

After the usual 1-2 minute hot towel prep:

old horn handle badger
Schick M type adjustable injector/Gillette Twinjector (NOS)
Surrey SS (pre VDH reformulation)
Boots AS Balm
Caron 'Yatagan' EdT (current version)

Tried a new to me blade this morning and first impression is a good one. Let's see how this thing turns out after a few more shaves.

BBS results,

Martin

dodgy said:
So, what's your first thought on using that injector? Isn't this something new to you? It can take a little while to figure out any tweaks needed and I know your opinion will probably change with more time on your face. Heh, even then, sometimes those early types aren't for everyone. I'm just curious how you find the stiffer blade and how it performs compared to a DE.

Martin

I struggled a bit to be honest. At first it felt great: really mobile little razor that felt like it was cutting well and causing no irritation. First couple of passes seemed just fine and I was enjoying myself and thinking how many more of these I could add to my collection. After the third pass, however, I was still left with a lot of stubble and had to do a lot of touch ups which left me irritated around the neck. It wasn't a particularly close shave either but some of that wonderful vintage Old Spice perked me up.

Today's rasp with the Jagger & shim was marvellous!

Thanks for asking, L. Martino!

That's unusual, Gairdner. I get a pretty good shave with those blades in an I type and an M adjustable. Haven't tried your razor. I don't really like the Personna blades and there are a lot of poor older injector blades. . If you ever see these Gillette Platinum Plus blades puck them up. Supremely sharp and smooth if a little rare and expensive.
IMAG0438-1.jpg

I seem to be ignoring professional health advice and mixing it up just a bit too much. I'm of a mind to stick with my soon to be two EJ's, my own handmade brushes, a few select blades, the mighty Ingram, the bay rum of happiness, blue stratos and goof old astral. Think I'll cancel the Creighton's order too. I've just gone overboard with the euphoria of my Birthday and the positive reaction towards my handles. Starting to get muddled and befuddled again.....:icon_sad:

Dr Rick said:
This morning:

Prep: Cold rinse
Razor: CJB kamisori, Feather Pro blade
Brush: Neep #1213 Aztec in malachite (29mm extra silvertip)
Soap: Prof Blighty's Rosewood

Very good. Slightly weird as I've never used a kamisori-style razor before, but no problems.

As usual with a brand new blade, I slightly savaged an empty toilet roll tube before starting to take the rawness of the edge.

Oooh, you've got a malachite Aztec. Love that brush.

Evening, everyone.

Saturday:

Prep: Claus Porto's Lime-oil face soap
Razor: EJDE89 with iKon Bulldog handle
Blade: Shark Super Stainless (1)
Brush: Ecotools Kabuki
Shave soap: Monsavon
A/S: Professor Blighty's Vanilla
Cologne: Korres's Saffron, Amber, Agarwood, and Cardamom

The Shark seemed rather rough and draggy for a first shave so I took it very carefully and got a very smooth, irritation-free shave. Maybe it's one of those blades that needs to settle in a bit, though usually I'm very pleased with the Sharks.

Gairdner said:
dodgy said:
So, what's your first thought on using that injector?

I struggled a bit to be honest.

Thanks for asking, L. Martino!

Reason I asked is because I have a feeling that type of injector may not be the best one for you. From what I remember, you don't care for a razor with lots of bite, and that thing has some. Coupled with the fact of it weighing about nothing means you have the pressure thingy to deal with as well as the vampire like nature of the razor.

Now I may well be wrong and maybe after using the G type for a while things will all become wonderful. Crazier things have happened, Give it 4-5 shaves and see how things are turning out. If it's still not what you want, then maybe another injector is the answer. Personally, I could use your razor forever, and still never get an enjoyable shave.

The injectors are worth figuring out,

Martin

Sunday evening
hot shower prep
merkur slant
astra sp
palmolive cream
boar brush
M & S harvard AS

First time with a slant and had a very good shave, no nicks or irritation. A 3 pass shave leaving my face very smooth though not bbs. I think I need to alter the angle I used the next shave. I enjoyed shaving with the slant and will probably buy one now

Back
Top Bottom