SOTD : Saturday 13th October - Friday 19th October 2018.

faf49538c9b73c96bb07db79d68d7a16.jpg

Gartbnx....

Sotd - this evening - 18/10 -

Razor - Mergress (1.5)
blade - Aussie Spoiler (11)
brush - Simpsons P8 Phyl best
soap - Squadron - Group Captain's Blend tallow
post - witch hazel
a/s - Extro Tabacco
balm - none.

Result - top end -

Finally got to try the Australian made Squadron Group Captain's - I was not disappointed - for me - this is a superior shaving soap. The scent and performance are wonderful. This is the description from the makers -

'The Group Captain's Blend is reminiscent of an aromatic pipe tobacco. First up the vanilla hits you, followed quickly by malt, tobacco leaf and cedar wood. It's like opening a fresh pouch of old-school sweet pipe tobacco.'

That's about bang on in my opinion - as soon as you unscrew the tub it hits you - building with lathering. It is sweet - but not in a cloying way. I am very fond of my tobacco themed shaves - this has just jumped straight to the top of the pile. It pairs perfectly with the Extro Tabacco after shave. The post face feel is very good indeed. No need for a balm. I'm impressed. Thank you to @TomG - who very generously sent me the Squadron - I'm grateful mate. The Aussie Spoiler blades were also courtesy of Tom - did I just type that this was use eleven of the blade? All true. I still can't detect any degradation in its performance. So - all good - my skin feels just fine - and I smell lovely - even if I do say so myself - the Extro has an unusual longevity for an aftershave. Hope your shaves are as good - yours - I.

The Case of the Poisoned Priest - part the second -

Baker Street - the next day.

Watson rises at eight - their lodgings silent - Holmes having evidently left early - a scribbled note on the fireside table -

‘Will be back around noon - expect a delivery from Scotland Yard - do not open it - if you value your life. S.H'

Shortly after one o'clock - he returns - obviously distracted - mind elsewhere - throwing top hat, gloves, walking cane and coat in a heap on the floor - ‘The package Watson - did it arrive?'

‘Yes - it is on your chemical bench. What is going on?'

‘Later my friend - later - now is not the time for explanations - I am close to solving this matter.'

Pulling on a pair of elbow-length protective rubber gauntlets - ever so carefully picking up the hand delivered letter - gingerly opening it. Turning his back on Watson - he sets to work with the various tubes, alembics, scientific glassware and spirit burners on the bench. The atmosphere becomes so polluted his companion excuses himself -

‘I think I will take a walk in the park - perhaps a spot of lunch.'

‘As you will.'

Some four hours have passed - finding Holmes - sitting rigidly upright - in his armchair - obviously in a mood of high dudgeon. The air had not improved - the fog of chemicals replaced by a noxious cloud of tobacco smoke. A three pipe problem evidently.

“No success then?'

‘Some times - my friend - not finding an answer - is the answer in itself - that is the case here. I did not see it soon enough. The Yard sent me a sample of blood from the cheeks of Monsignor Arroyo - as you know - I have made no small study of poisons and toxins used for criminal purpose - this one was completely unknown to me - finding no match - it is of exotic origin.'

‘Watson take a telegram for me - pay attention - to read as follows,'

‘Los siete pecados capitales - la venganza es dulce - mañana - a las siete en punto - 221B Baker Street - tuyo sinceramente - Sherlock Holmes.'

‘Have that sent to these three addresses,' - a sheet of foolscap is handed to the doctor.

‘We can do nothing more just now. Tomorrow - there ought to be a fine performance of Mendelssohn's Lieder - in the afternoon - then we shall dine. If I am right - the killer - she - will visit at seven prompt.'

Part - the last - will follow.

Razor - Mergress (1.5)
post - witch hazel
a/s - Extro Tabacco
balm - none.

Result - top end -

Finally got to try the Australian made Squadron Group Captain's - I was not disappointed - for me - this is a superior shaving soap. The scent and performance are wonderful. This is the description from the makers -

'The Group Captain's Blend is reminiscent of an aromatic pipe tobacco. First up the vanilla hits you, followed quickly by malt, tobacco leaf and cedar wood. It's like opening a fresh pouch of old-school sweet pipe tobacco.'

That's about bang on in my opinion - as soon as you unscrew the tub it hits you - building with lathering. It is sweet - but not in a cloying way. I am very fond of my tobacco themed shaves - this has just jumped straight to the top of the pile. It pairs perfectly with the Extro Tabacco after shave. The post face feel is very good indeed. No need for a balm. I'm impressed. Thank you to @TomG - who very generously sent me the Squadron - I'm grateful mate. The Aussie Spoiler blades were also courtesy of Tom - did I just type that this was use eleven of the blade? All true. I still can't detect any degradation in its performance. So - all good - my skin feels just fine - and I smell lovely - even if I do say so myself - the Extro has an unusual longevity for an aftershave. Hope your shaves are as good - yours - I.

Watson rises at eight - their lodgings silent - Holmes having evidently left early - a scribbled note on the fireside table -

‘Will be back around noon - expect a delivery from Scotland Yard - do not open it - if you value your life. S.H'

Shortly after one o'clock - he returns - obviously distracted - mind elsewhere - throwing top hat, gloves, walking cane and coat in a heap on the floor - ‘The package Watson - did it arrive?'

‘Later my friend - later - now is not the time for explanations - I am close to solving this matter.'

Pulling on a pair of elbow-length protective rubber gauntlets - ever so carefully picking up the hand delivered letter - gingerly opening it. Turning his back on Watson - he sets to work with the various tubes, alembics, scientific glassware and spirit burners on the bench. The atmosphere becomes so polluted his companion excuses himself -

‘As you will.'

Some four hours have passed - finding Holmes - sitting rigidly upright - in his armchair - obviously in a mood of high dudgeon. The air had not improved - the fog of chemicals replaced by a noxious cloud of tobacco smoke. A three pipe problem evidently.

“No success then?'

‘Some times - my friend - not finding an answer - is the answer in itself - that is the case here. I did not see it soon enough. The Yard sent me a sample of blood from the cheeks of Monsignor Arroyo - as you know - I have made no small study of poisons and toxins used for criminal purpose - this one was completely unknown to me - finding no match - it is of exotic origin.'

‘Los siete pecados capitales - la venganza es dulce - mañana - a las siete en punto - 221B Baker Street - tuyo sinceramente - Sherlock Holmes.'

‘Have that sent to these three addresses,' - a sheet of foolscap is handed to the doctor.

‘We can do nothing more just now. Tomorrow - there ought to be a fine performance of Mendelssohn's Lieder - in the afternoon - then we shall dine. If I am right - the killer - she - will visit at seven prompt.'

Excellent as usual I.
Definitely a three pipe problem.

Thursday 18th October 2018
SOTD.jpg

Pre shave: Warm shower and Nivea face wash + Noxzema shave cream
Razor: Yaqi DOC + Windrose handle
Blade: NOS Gillette Stainless - Czech Republic (#6)
Soap: L'Occitane Cade cream
Brush: Maseto 30mm Silvertip
Bowl: Korium
Post shave: Alum block, cold water splash and Humphreys Cucumber witch hazel
AS: Lab Series balm

Razor - Mergress (1.5)
post - witch hazel
a/s - Extro Tabacco
balm - none.

Result - top end -

‘As you will.'

“No success then?'

Great stuff, Iain, and delighted to hear that you are enjoying the blades and soap.

Razor - Mergress (1.5)
post - witch hazel
a/s - Extro Tabacco
balm - none.

Result - top end -

‘As you will.'

“No success then?'

Intriguing Ian. Marvellous stuff!

Thursday 18th October

D R Harris Lavender Shave Stick
RazoRock 400
Ikon 102 / Ikon Special Edition Handle
Gillette Silver Blue (?)
Floid Mentolado Vigoroso AS
Creed Aventus (decant)

I felt as fresh as a daisy after my shave - it's a shame the weather here in Majorca isn't quite the same. Thunder storms and rain aren't what I envisaged when I booked a 4 night get away break
Oh well, it doesn't rain in the bar !

PS, sorry about the toilet !!

Shaves of the Week

Saturday.
Prep: Hot towel
Pre shave: Prep
Razor: ‘The Rock' (Rockwell 6S – #3)
Blade: Gillette 7 O'clock S/P Black
Brush: 'Mama Chub' (Chubby 2 Two Band)
Soap: Barrister & Mann ‘Roam'
Post: Cold water rinse / Witch Hazel / Chatillon Lux: Santal Auster Post-Shave Salve
Fragrance: Creed Royal Oud

‘The Rock'/Black Ninja combo made light work of removing 5 days growth, with ‘Roam' providing the slick, protective foundation that really does make all the difference..

Tuesday.
Razor: Weber ARC
Blade: Wizamet Polsilver
Brush: 'Da Vinci' ( Rod Neep CS-1 "Forest Flame" 30mm Extra Dense Silvertip )
Soap: Oleo Soapworks ‘Rougére'
Post: Cold water rinse / Witch Hazel / Phoenix & Beau 'Spitfire' Post Shave Lotion

a superb shave... the Wizamet Polsilver really does bring out the best in the Weber.. likewise with the 'Da Vinci', making light work of ‘Rougére', producing a rich, bountiful lather... like I said before, Superb!

Thursday.
Razor: Merkur 34C HD
Blade: Astra S/P
Brush: New Forest Tubby 1 Finest
Soap: Van Yulay: Royal Oudh
Post: Cold water rinse / Witch Hazel / Wholly Kaw: King of Oud Aftershave Toner

a lovely shave was had, but the Astra seemed a bit underwhelming compared with the Polsilver SI.. Royal Oudh is, without a doubt, an outstanding soap, and paired with the King of Oud Aftershave Toner, totally lifted my spirits..

Prep: the usual hot shower, plus the Boss's exfoliation thingy (must get my own, goodness only knows what she scrubs last vs what I scrub first...)
Pre: nothing, forgot my usual hot flannel for some reason.
Cream: OSP Fougere, face lathered.
Brush: MÜHLE Vivo black fibre
SR: Merkur 23c
Blade: Feather (1)

First shave with a Feather. I was a bit apprehensive given what I've read about them, and I was pretty underwhelmed tbh. Perhaps it was because I missed out my hot flannel, or because my face might still have been a bit sensitive from Sundays "a shave too far".

First pass didn't feel as nice as the blades I've tried before, and the 2nd & 3rd passes weren't much better. The result was actually a smooth finish, but just not as enjoyable as I've been experiencing using Gillette Silver Blues and Polsilver.

I'm going to give the Feather a fair go next shave, given that I missed out my usual flannel stage and possible residual irritation. I'm going to rest my face for a couple of days, and make sure I do the flannel thing.

So exactly the same, plus I remembered my hot flannel, and it's the second shave for the Feather.

Much better this time, but still not as nice as with the Silver Blues or Lodz Polsilvers, but the result was still a very smooth finish.

Perhaps the Feathers just aren't my thing.

Back
Top Bottom