SOTD 19/8/15 & 20/8/15

Hot Towel
Rock Face Facial Scrub
Mitchells Wool Fat Soap & Olive Oil
Body Shop Synthetic
Merkur 39C
Astra SS (5 & 6)

AdobePhotoshopExpress_3a16ce7195c34e51b6c51e29109e9943.jpg

Day 6 of The Fat, and I decided to super lather with some olive oil as an experiment. I noted a perceived improvement in cushioning, and a smoother, denser lather. The shave experience as a whole however didn't seem vastly improved (not surprised given MWF is the pinnacle of soaps IMHO). 3 passes were performed with a slight nick where my tired morning self wasn't paying attention, but nothing that a quick dab with a towel couldn't solve. Yes, I have been claimed by The Fat.

Day 7 of The Fat and I am kind of bummed that I've come to the end of the 7 day initiation period. That said, I am beyond pleased I picked up the MWF. I've never had such a great experience shaving in my life until using the MWF. My skin feels superb post shave, protected during the shave, and I really enjoy the process of building the lather, adding a bit of water here, whipping clockwise there, a smidgen more water, anticlockwise whip...you really get to know your lather and when it is just so. The Fat is more than just a superb soap, it's a great tool with which to learn your lather. I really feel I've got a real keeper soap here, something I will never be without, the sort of soap I'd be chuffed to get multiple pucks for a birthday or Christmas gift. The 6th day of the Astra blade was also good, it still is keen and ploughed through my stubble with effortless aplomb.

Result? 5/5 for both days. Such an exquisite shave from a timeless product. Tomorrow I am going to attempt a superlather with MWF and T&H 1805 cream.

Friday

Evening, everybody.

Prep: Claus Porto's Lime-oil face soap
Razor: Lidl Cien twin-blade cartridge
Blade: (10)
Brush: Kabuki Bamboo
Shave cream: Erasmic
Aftershave: Superdrug Clear Water
Cologne:

fatip/templ8 handle
english wilkinson sword
whipped dog 24mm synthetic
WSP gaelic tweed shaving soap
boots no7 post shave balm
roger and gallet l'homme edt

first run out with the WSP soap and im very impressed with the performance, excellent stuff.

Two 'firsts' in my shave this morning - a vintage Colgate soap and a Tre Teste DE razor.
One of them performed really well... :)

Gear:
Razor: Tre Teste
Blade: Voskhod
Brush: Rubberset 400-3
Soap: Vintage Colgate
A/S: Myrsol Emulsion

2d1wkcy.jpg

SOTD - Friday
Pre: RazoRock menthol/lime soap
Soap: BowTie "Mountain Rain"
Brush: Paladin Falstaff, 28mm 2-band Finest
Razor: Mongoose Satin w/Dr. Bomber handle
Blade: Kai Captain SharpBlade (5)
Post: Thayer's witch hazel with 444, followed by Floid Vigoroso
I took the day off work and took my daughter and her friend to "Thorpe Park" (an amusement park) near Windsor for the day. We left early to beat the traffic around London, so I only had time for a rushed 2-pass DFS to be "socially acceptable".
Blade is definitely tugging, so I binned it after the shave. First use of the Bowtie "Mountain Rain" and it is a VERY mild scent. To my nose it's a floral fougere but very light in the scent. Fantastic lather with the Paladin.

How can you tell which is at fault?

Depends on what is failing. If the razors 'fails' because it's too light weight, handle too short, etc - then that is independent from any soap of course.
If the shave is 'uncomfortable' then that's harder to nail down when you're throwing in two unknown in the mix at the same time :)

Depends on what is failing. If the razors 'fails' because it's too light weight, handle too short, etc - then that is independent from any soap of course.
If the shave is 'uncomfortable' then that's harder to nail down when you're throwing in two unknown in the mix at the same time :)
Ahh - gotcha

Back
Top Bottom