SOTD Saturday 15th Nov to Friday 21st Nov

Sorry to hear about your holiday mishap, Dick. Get well soon.

SirB, that's another beautiful brush as is that aluminium, branded stunner that Fox is showing off above.

Anyway, my own scrape of the day:

EJ DE3D, Lab Blue
Hand-carved Beech 24mm 2-band
Kent Soap
Layrite No.9 Bay Rum
Astral

The Layrite Bay Rum was a very kind gift from Cyril of Hairsuite fame so I must thank him publicly for such generosity. Who says the polis are never there when you need 'em? It's good stuff too: not quite the heavenly liquor that is Steve's Barbershop Bay Rum but as close as I've experienced in the scent department. It is not as harsh on the skin as Pinaud's effort and is superior in all respects to Taylor's sickly sweet confection. A deeper 'burn' than the aforementioned Mana that is Barbershop Bay Rum but satisfying nonetheless. The scent lingers quite long too and whilst it lacks the full on richness, depth and intensity of Steve's, it is very close and all round, I consider it a worthy substitute. Does its job well, smells good, is available in the UK from the Gentleman's Groom Room and is relatively inexpensive - what's not to like? Thanks Cyril, me old mucker!!! :D

Layrite No.9 Bay Rum Aftershave at the Gentleman's Groom Room

layrite.jpg

No connections at all, just a product I have enjoyed and am happy to recommend.

After the usual 1-2 minute hot towel prep:

vintage rebranded 1964 Macys silvertip flopmeister fun with creams
King Cobra/Feather Pro
XPEC SC
Barbershop Bay Rum AS and more splashed on like cologne

First time getting this razor wet and so far I like the thing. Such a kick using zero pressure with this interesting looking shaving tool. Loaded with a sharp injector blade, it's kinda like a Schick taken to a much higher and crazier level. I haven't weighed the thing but it feels pretty serious in my hand.

I will need a few days to see what's really up with the King Cobra and so I will see what happens down the road. I had tried the original Cobra and it wasn't for me.

BBS results (smoother than usual),

Martin .

Friday

Evening, all.

Prep: Claus Porto's Lime-oil face soap
Razor: Åžik Bay cheapo Turkish razor
Blade: Dorco (7)
Brush: Kabuki Bamboo
Shave cream: Crabtree & Evelyn, Sienna
Aftershave: M&S Woodspice
Cologne:

Hot water wash with dove soap.
Invisible Edge Strop.
Vie-Long Horse hair brush.
J. Petermans 1903 Shaving Cream.
Kropp 6/8.
Nivea sensitive after shave balm.

Nice 3 pass shave with touch ups, I definitely think these short buffing strokes are the way to go on my neck area. These buffing strokes cause me to use even less pressure and seam to get the difficult hairs enough for a smooth shave. The J Petermans cream is always a good performer for me and smells awesome.

Jim

Bulldog face wash
Petal Pusher Fancies coconut
Omega 49
Merkur 37c
Treet platinum super stainless
Alum
Proraso green ASB

Smooth shave, first time trying the Treet stainless (orange pack). Was hesitant as not heard much about them but really smooth, not quite as sharp as I'd like though. Still, a decent blade none the less.

Back
Top Bottom