SOTD : Saturday 16th April - Friday 22nd April 2022.

Good morning / afternoon all,

Prep, hot water and flannel and then PAA Cube (mentholated)
Brush, Boti Blue
Razor, Blackland Blackbird
Blade, Supermax Diamond Edge (2nd use)
Soap, Noble Otter-Norther Elixir
A/S, Noble Otter-Northern Elixir
Music, Luke Bryan

So what can i say, PAA Cube was easy to apply. To me the menthol effects have increased all through the shave and are still going now. The soap required a little work but i have been using creams a lot, so i think its more operator error and getting in tune to using soaps and adding sufficient water. I lathered from the soap container with the brush to a bowl and then to my face. A nice frothy creamy lather. It went on well, nice and thick, good slickness and staying power. It didn't dissipate and provided a great surface to work on.

I did my usual 3 grain pass, as in previous shaves i could have stopped after 2. But when you enjoy the shave and the ritual, why wouldn't you do 3. Zero issues, no cuts / nicks / weepers / irritation. No touch ups required. Very very happy with the shave and performance of all the tools and products used.

On the PAA Cube, i can see how it may be a little overpowering for some. And is certainly something to use when it's a little warmer weather. I'll give it a go at some point with Proraso Menthol (Green) soap / cream as it would be interesting to see if that is a little too much or not. I also have the Proraso A/S, so it would be interesting to see if that was too much or complimented it as well.

Have a good Easter all!

Best,

Ben

The appearance of the liquid shave cream before i started mixing it up looked like a gooey sloppy mess, which to be honest made me doubtful, but once i started to add a few drops of water as i started to mix it up and adding more water the lather exploded and became slick rich and protective with no drying out issues and superb post shave feel.
Barry.....how do you find it compared to the Kiss My Face liquid cream?

Barry.....how do you find it compared to the Kiss My Face liquid cream?
The Kiss My Face liquid cream is firm favourite of mine, but if i had to say which was better then it would be the Nivea Men Sensitive Pro Ultra-Calming Liquid Shaving Cream IMHO...1-2 squirt's max from the pump provides a mass of slick protective lather for the full shave and beyond....

The Kiss My Face liquid cream is firm favourite of mine, but if i had to say which was better then it would be the Nivea Men Sensitive Pro Ultra-Calming Liquid Shaving Cream IMHO...1-2 squirt's max from the pump provides a mass of slick protective lather for the full shave and beyond....
In that case ....duly enabled. It's on Amazon. I really rate KMF so it should be good.

Last edited:
Sunday AM 2022-04-17
International Guild of Knot Tyers founded on this date in 1982, Ipswich, UK
ZOTS2tG.jpg

Rooney 1/2 Faux Horn Finest (24/50)
Proraso Red shaving cream
Paradigm 17-4/UFO Common Bar
Wizamet Iridium Super (7)
Ralph Lauren Safari aftershave balm (vintage)
BpQX9N1.jpg

Sunday 17th April

AM-JKLX9pMKa0a31UDAy4-Bur49mTIJwJebIefy3xOoXV8mfSt5O8bZ1o_O5KRhb0yzV3jfCUlG0ICd--Vs8XoYqZruGFRvpBT5j3IX-PiTyzLKxAOGbbDHN7DQzju6U3DWYc1VFyWNwAyx0UWjCDrjXOG5UdQ=s800

Ganders Goat Soap w/Hop, Sage & Birch
Imperial Leather (Vintage) Shaving Bowl
Razorock 400 Limited Edition w/Plissoft Noir Synthetic 24mm
Yaqi DLC & Muster Dikson Fine Special Edition (Platinum)
Imperial Leather (Vintage) Aftershave

Enjoying trying out a couple of new blades ...

Yesterday, the very impressive Muster Dikson Super Quality (stainless) blade and today, it's less impressive Fine Special Edition (platinum) counterpart. I say less impressive, but it's still a very sound 7.8/10; just less immediately impressive or loveable than the regular stainless variant.

Certainly not as smooth as the very well treated stainless blade yesterday, the shave was nevertheless smooth enough and certainly still sharp, although again, perhaps not quite as sharp. I don't think it's up there with the better subcontinent Super Platinum blades, say, from SuperMax but still most definitely in the same ballpark as the (lesser) Lancet Super Platinum or the likes of CentWin or Laser, or the Dorco Prime.

... and on that I think I'm onto something, if not the blades but the relationship between the blades as this blade compared to yesterday is like the relationship between the Prime (STP301) and the more regular ST301, which I feel pips the (better marketed) platinum by quite a margin.

In summary, good but not great < the white pack Muster Dikson Fine Special Edition, that is and rated to 7.8/10. Conversely, the Muster Super Quality (in the black pack) is right up there with at 9/10.

Arriving on your screens is my shave themed 'Happy Easter you most bodacious bunnies'

20220415_202333.jpg

Paschal eggs - Tatara Nodachi
Easter bunny - Polsilver Lodz
Bonnet parade - M&S silly little Cashmere
Hot cross buns - Officina Artigiana
Cute bunnies......

And I hope your Easter's are as good as this splendid shave.

You've already had my annual Easter song but as a special offer you can have some more from those Ladybaby girls.....

Pre-shave:- Cold Shower
Bowl/Scuttle:- Captain's Choice
Brush:- RazoRock Hive Moaksoft HD Synth. 24/53mm knot
Soap/Cream:- Mitchell's Wool Fat
Razor/Blade:- RazoRock SS Lupo 58 / Gillette Minora Stainless #1
Post/After-shave:- T.N. Dickinson Witch Hazel Astringent mixed into the 240ml bottle with Invite E High Potency Pure Oil (10 drops), Natural Plant Glycerin (20) & Tea Tree Oil Antiseptic (5)
Tipple:- Bruichladdich The Laddie Ten 10yrs Old

Rise of the Empire (including Clone War's) book 12 of 56
51HhL6+k7SL._SX328_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

SOTD 18-April
20220417_122058.jpg
Brush: C&H 'Finned' V14
Soap: MSC Only The Brave
Razor: Gillette New (correction, Old)
Blade: GSB (2)

Decent shave this morning with the next in line, Only The Brave. Same good performance but the scent wasn't as potent, decent enough scent in itself but prefer black tie.

Holy crap though, forgot that P20 sunscreen let's you know it's there on a freshly shaved face!

Hope everyone is having a grand day, getting ourselves sorted to head out to the beach with the family, see whether I can convince the little one to take a swim (doubtful).

Cheers

Marc

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom