SOTD : Saturday 17th February - Friday 23rd February 2018

First time using the Yaqi DOC that arrived today. I thought for £6 (ish), delivered it was worth a punt.

It was a bit more aggressive (to my taste) than I thought it would be. It left me with some red patches which could be down to technique on my behalf. It started off great but became uncomfortable quickly. Had to swap to Nivea cooling Balm at the end instead of the AS.

Be interested to know how others rate this razor head.

f2043749affab77e8a855d4cb1459037.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks Paul - interesting - I make my own bar soap so have a few cosmetic grade essential oils kicking around - I may have to order some lime to give it a go - but I could try it with orange or neroli? I enjoy a citrus shave. A whole new world awaits! Cheers for the tip. All good on the off spring front I hope? - I.

Orange sounds a good idea to me Iain.

I like citrus scents best so all Seasons are Spring and Summer for me !

Sotd - Tuesday 20/2/18

Razor - Schick O Type Clone
blade - Japanese twin (2)
brush - Semogue 1305 boar
soap - Kent Luxury refill
post - witch hazel
a/s - Nivea 2 in 1.

Result - great.

I had actually intended to try the new Salter tallow tonight but when I opened the delivery from Connaught - I wasn't sure that I had anything suitable to transfer it into. It's quite small - 70 grams- which is what it says on the label - fair enough - but it isn't flat on both sides. Hence the Kent - which is. Easily fitted into a 150 gram screw top wadded-lid tin - I bloomed it properly while I showered - filled the whole container up to the neck with hot water and screwed it shut in the interim. I don't normally do this but it was a new puck - just to get it to stick to the bottom of the container properly. It is very much a first world problem but I absolutely hate it when hard soaps spin in the tin when loading the brush. It stuck just fine. To my understanding the Kent soap is Mitchell's Wool Fat - MWF - the Fat - by any other name. I take this from reading about it - seems to be the general consensus online - and also the ingredients are identical - I checked. This might also be true of Blue Beard's Revenge hard soap. I went to my best boar - the 1305 - well broken in - this was no time for a poncy silver-tip badger knot. I had used the original MWF previously - but that was a number of years ago. It was the second proper soap I bought after Proraso - and subsequently finished them both - not a phrase I would use much these days - given the capacious den. I obviously used it all but remember having lathering problems on occasion - even with my very soft water. No such issues tonight - it's all about experience - I have learned a lot in between times. Worked a treat - superb. In operation and afterwards. Ease of lather, slickness and post-shave are flawless for me. I do believe it can be a bit hissy if you live in a hard water area though. Job done - all good. The 1305 did ask for a week off later this year to attend the Pride march in Glasgow - fair enough. It's an inclusive den. Ha ha. Enjoy your shaves one and all - yours - I.

@Blademonkey

Date: 21 February 2018

Pre-shave:- Cold Water straight from the tap
Brush:- Maseto Silvertip Badger Fan Horn 30/53mm knot
Soap/Cream:- Route 66 ~ Rum Runner 5x
Bowl/Scuttle:- Captain's Choice
Razor:- GEM Micromatic Clog-Pruf
Blade:- GEM Personna SS PTFE Coated #5
Post-shave:- Thayers Witch Hazel / Lucky Tiger Aftershave & Face Tonic
Fragrance:- L'eau D'issey Pour Homme

SOTD

Pre: Hot Shower
Cream: Taconic Shave Lavender Lime
Razor: Parker 76R
Blade: Treet Platinum (1)
Brush: Parker Synthetic
A/S: Taconic Shave Lavender Lime
Balm: Taconic Shave Unscented

View attachment 33525

G'day @Kevy where's the Whisky and your Scottish Kilt and your Scottish Bagpipe :p:D

Last edited:
Sotd - Tuesday 20/2/18

Razor - Schick O Type Clone
blade - Japanese twin (2)
brush - Semogue 1305 boar
soap - Kent Luxury refill
post - witch hazel
a/s - Nivea 2 in 1.

Result - great.

I had actually intended to try the new Salter tallow tonight but when I opened the delivery from Connaught - I wasn't sure that I had anything suitable to transfer it into. It's quite small - 70 grams- which is what it says on the label - fair enough - but it isn't flat on both sides. Hence the Kent - which is. Easily fitted into a 150 gram screw top wadded-lid tin - I bloomed it properly while I showered - filled the whole container up to the neck with hot water and screwed it shut in the interim. I don't normally do this but it was a new puck - just to get it to stick to the bottom of the container properly. It is very much a first world problem but I absolutely hate it when hard soaps spin in the tin when loading the brush. It stuck just fine. To my understanding the Kent soap is Mitchell's Wool Fat - MWF - the Fat - by any other name. I take this from reading about it - seems to be the general consensus online - and also the ingredients are identical - I checked. This might also be true of Blue Beard's Revenge hard soap. I went to my best boar - the 1305 - well broken in - this was no time for a poncy silver-tip badger knot. I had used the original MWF previously - but that was a number of years ago. It was the second proper soap I bought after Proraso - and subsequently finished them both - not a phrase I would use much these days - given the capacious den. I obviously used it all but remember having lathering problems on occasion - even with my very soft water. No such issues tonight - it's all about experience - I have learned a lot in between times. Worked a treat - superb. In operation and afterwards. Ease of lather, slickness and post-shave are flawless for me. I do believe it can be a bit hissy if you live in a hard water area though. Job done - all good. The 1305 did ask for a week off later this year to attend the Pride march in Glasgow - fair enough. It's an inclusive den. Ha ha. Enjoy your shaves one and all - yours - I.

@Blademonkey
I have found that my 70g Salter fits nicely in an old Proraso tub leaving plenty of room above the puck for the brush. :) Paul.

Back
Top Bottom