SOTD : Saturday 19th May - Friday 25th May 2018

Penhaligons say its a renaissance of a bay rum preperation from the archives. Rediscovered in the pages of time.
The spice (black pepper, cardamon) of life (Mandarin , tangerine) brings panache to the lemongrass and musk- Patcholi that characterises this energetic scent.
The final touch? Soothing lavender and moss, musk and amber-patchouli .
The firm favourites of gentelman (and sailors)

So it's Penhaligons take on a bay rum scent.....I have not found two bay rum scents that smell the same, everyone has a slightly different take on it and I don't think this one is a typical bay rum but I love it.
Just perfect for hot sunny days sipping a rum and coke! :) P.

Thanks Paul. I did have a sample of a Fitjar aftershave balm (sorry can't remember the name). Which they said was their take on Bay Rum and I didn't like it at all. I think it might have been the clove in it?

I did really like Bayolea though. One of the best performing fragrances I've tried so far.

Cheers
Rob

Thanks Paul. I did have a sample of a Fitjar aftershave balm (sorry can't remember the name). Which they said was their take on Bay Rum and I didn't like it at all. I think it might have been the clove in it?

I did really like Bayolea though. One of the best performing fragrances I've tried so far.

Cheers
Rob
Yes, most bay rums do have cloves in them and not everyone likes cloves, Penhaligons Bayolea is the best take on a bay rum type scent I have tried but as I said its not a typical bay rum scent to my nose. P.

Last edited:
LOVELY SHAVE
52031892632e1fcf9d21d90d1eb8ee01.jpg
4890e046fd1fc9c015cd80a96b8eb244.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Sunday AM 2018-05-20

Georgetown Pottery G12 Scuttle
Rooney Polo 1 Ivory Finest (24/54)
Crabtree & Evelyn Sweet Almond Oil shaving cream (vintage)
Delta Echo Ink Edition Feather AS-D2/Triad Aristocrat Brass
Wilkinson Light Brigade (11)
RazoRock R-160 Sweet Almond aftershave balm

The C&E cream is one of the best ever. It's almost gone, but fortunately, I have a backup jar.
HJ2s5Lf.jpg

Saturday's shave.

Yesterday I used the PAL Injecto-Matic for the last time. This has been with me over a week via the lending pool. Used it 3 times, and I have really enjoyed it. I usually use an E Type Schick. It's not a million miles away in terms of the efficiency. What I particularly liked was the handle. Very similar to that of a Schick G8. It works for me!

Making it's debut was a Vulfix 404-synthetic hybrid. Always loved the handle, but struggled with the knot. So, went for a synthetic knot from Alie-express. Despite some reservations; using this particular website for the first time was dead simple. Fully tracked, and great communication. Back to the brush. First time I have used such a synthetic knot. Lovely and smooth, and damn fine for face lathering. I think it looks pretty good in the handle. Credit here to my brother, as I sub contracted the project out to him. He's far more practical than me! Great shave. I recommend anyone who hasn't tried one to jump over to the lending pool and sign up for the PAL.

• Razor - Pal Injectomatic.
  • Blade - Chick
  • Brush - Vulfix 404 synthetic.
  • Cream - Truefitt and Hill, Sandalwood.
  • Post - Proraso meththol balm.

uc

Sunday evening

Cyril R. Salter Tallow soap
RazoRock Plissoft 24mm synth
Face lather
Ever Ready 1912 (Made in England)
Gem SS PTFE
Thayer's Cucumber and Aloe Vera
Proraso eucalyptus and menthol

Tonight was the second use of the Salter tallow soap; and it really is great stuff. Rich, slick protective lather and a great post-shave feel. All this for around seven quid.

The hardware, of course, gave a tremendous performance; resulting in a BBS finish and no touch-ups required.
D04CFB77-39AA-40B3-B9BD-009E315E0169.jpeg

20180520_201251-jpg.29416

REX Ambassador
Gillette 7 o'clock yellow
Elite Manchurian
Eufros GEA
FINE Platinum

First outing of the Rex I bought a couple of days ago. My previous SOTD posts were with the Rex I had on loan. Which was a 'M' batch BTW.

This one (N batch) has had a number of amendments. All of which I'm happy with.
The blade is easier to fit for starters.
The collar you change the settings with is a lot tighter so there is no fear of you moving it during the shave.
Unfortunately I'm still getting a lot of drag. So I'll have to see how to address this in subsequent shaves.

The finished results were excellent though. The closest shave I've had since using the R41....but without being skinned alive.

@Palmolive fox @Ferry-shave
@Mr. Blonde

Have a good week gents.

Cheers
Rob

20180520_201251-jpg.29416

REX Ambassador
Gillette 7 o'clock yellow
Elite Manchurian
Eufros GEA
FINE Platinum

First outing of the Rex I bought a couple of days ago. My previous SOTD posts were with the Rex I had on loan. Which was a 'M' batch BTW.

This one (N batch) has had a number of amendments. All of which I'm happy with.
The blade is easier to fit for starters.
The collar you change the settings with is a lot tighter so there is no fear of you moving it during the shave.
Unfortunately I'm still getting a lot of drag. So I'll have to see how to address this in subsequent shaves.

The finished results were excellent though. The closest shave I've had since using the R41....but without being skinned alive.

@Palmolive fox @Ferry-shave
@Mr. Blonde

Have a good week gents.

Cheers
Rob

@Blackmass thanks for the update; good to hear that you got excellent results out of the gate, without being skinned alive!

I hope you get to grips with the drag.

All the best,

Chris

Back
Top Bottom