SOTD Saturday 25th April to Friday 1st May 2015

Second shave with the Pils today. Some more musings about its performance here

Realized I have a lot of small sample packages lying around so decided I need to start going through them.
Truefitt and Hill Ultimate Comfort ASB: Unscented, gave a rather good moisturizing feeling.
Dr Harris' Windsor EdT: Great summer scent - citrusy and woodsy. I like it quite a bit.

Razor: Pils 101NE
Blade: Astra SP
Brush: L'Occitane Plisson
Soap: Irisch Moos cream
ASB: Truefitt and Hill Ultimate Comfort
EdT: Dr Harris' Windsor

nbrg2q.jpg

Going back to my roots... Well with the razor anyway, my first razor I purchased in the mid 70s from Timothy Whites in Guildford high street and have been using it on and off ever since.

L'Occitane Cade shaving cream.
L'Occitane Plisson brush.
Gillette slim twist razor ( I think that's what it is called.
Gillette 7 o clock supersharp ( courtesy of sir Brian )
Lynx Africa aftershave.

image.jpg3_zpsuy9lhj2k.jpg

Pre: RazoRock menthol/lime soap
Soap: CRSW Select Paradise
Brush: Romera LE horn, 28mm Manchurian
Razor: Mongoose Satin w/Dr. Bomber handle
Blade: Feather Pro (3)
Fabulous face-lather shave. Can't go wrong with CRSW Select! I tried to get a little too close around the corner of my lip and nicked myself, but everything else about this shave was great.

782sirbrian said:
Tuesday 28th April

SOTD2028.4.15_zpsen86egyd.jpg

Warm shower
Hot towel
Caties Bubbles Fouet L'Orange bowl lathered
Finest Badger brush made by myself
Gillette ABC Floral (1911)
Personna Lab Blue (1)
Cold rinse
Thayers Superhazel
Myrsol Antesol aftershave

Greetings

What a lovely razor, and it makes one think; there are a very great number of 'modern' DE razors that sell for a substantial price and I am sure that judging by reports from experienced users many of them are just superb shavers but are they, both in terms of quality of shave and in looks any better than this one hundred plus year old designed razor?

Regards
Dick.

Tuesday

Evening, gents.

Prep: Claus Porto's Lime-oil face soap
Razor: EJDE89
Blade: Gillette 7 o'clock yellow (101
Brush: Kabuki Bamboo
Shave soap: Super Max Classic
Aftershave: Ricardo L'Homme, Cool
Cologne: Ricardo L'Homme, Cool

Norfolkdick said:
Greetings

What a lovely razor, and it makes one think; there are a very great number of 'modern' DE razors that sell for a substantial price and I am sure that judging by reports from experienced users many of them are just superb shavers but are they, both in terms of quality of shave and in looks any better than this one hundred plus year old designed razor?

Regards
Dick.

Thank you Dick, the razor gives a lovely shave almost effortless. Once you find the proper shallow angle it's very efficient and easy to use.
There's some wonderful stainless DE's around today, I'm a vintage man just now I love them as you have no doubt noticed :)

Sapone : Martin De Candre Fougere
Pennello : Simpson Chubby 3 Manchurian
Rasoio : Filarmonica Doble Temple 8/8
Strop : Paciccella
AS : Guerlain Vetiver
EDT : Guerlain Vetiver

image.php

Greetings

Wednesday 29th April 2015
Prep: Shower
Razor: Ever Ready 1914 Little Lather Catcher
Blade: GEM Blue Star Carbon
Brush: Duke 3
Soap: Nanny's Arabian Nights
Aftershave: Astral Cream (light)
EDT: Tom Ford Black Orchid

Regards
Dick.

DSC06087.JPG

U1AiEAdl.png

Soap: Mike's Natural Soaps Peppermint & Rosemary
Brush: Edwin Jagger Best Badger
Razor: ATT Atlas R1
Blade: Voskhod (1)
Scent: Olfactive Studio Still Life EdP

Not sure why this soap does not get as much praise as all the other Artisan soaps out there. It's a great performer & the scent on this Peppermint & Rosemary is very nice.

Wed 29th April 2015

Victoria PB brush
Proraso Green cream
Gem OCMM
Gem Blue Star Carbon Steel [ 3 ]
Alum Rub/Rinse Off
Bulldog Balm
La Toja A/S Lotion

To continue use of this C. S blade, decided to use OCMM which for me is a very effective razor. I worked hard with the razor, but again got poor results , especially on my difficult RHS, this was despite a number of finishing passes.

Will go back to use of SS/ SS coated blades, which appear to suit me better than C.S.

2myw42d.jpg

Prep: Hot wash with Pears soap.
Soap: Professor Blighty's Hyperion from the Keats range.
Brush: The Grooming Company synthetic Badger.
Razor: Tradere Open Comb.
Blade: Gillette Silver Blue. #1

I was a wee bit apprehensive of this razor before I started, sort of felt like I was just starting to lear to shave again, which in a way I think I am. Started with a WTG pass which just seamed to take off lather, so relathered that area and tried again with a shallow angle, aha much better, I still was a bit nervous of it cause of the 'aggressive' factor. I completed my first pass and checked for smoothness, didn't seam all that good, so I re-lathered and did a XTG pass, the result was better, finished with ATG pass and much better although its not the best shave I have had its is more than acceptable. I still have some patches where I expected to have them.

Bearing in mind this is my first shave with this razor and I still need to experiment to find the best technique. I think its getting used to the long handle and the sheer weight of the razor. One think I do like though, the ends of the blades are enclosed so they don't stick out and slice under your nose.

I am very happy with it and I am sure with time and practice it will be a cracking razor.

Jim

Back
Top Bottom