SOTD: Saturday 2nd September - Friday 8th September 2017

Edwin Jagger DE89
Edwin Jagger Pre Shave
Edwin Jagger Aloe Vera shave Cream
Personal Barber Synthetic brush
Personna Platinum

Absolute disaster, I gave the blades one last try after several attempts. They really do not agree with me.

So I'm stuck with eleven or so Personna and Perma-Sharp blades which I do not get on with. Any suggestions what to do with them?

Sent from my Swift 2 using Tapatalk

eda66873fffa622af9ec8260622702d5.jpg

Gartbnx....

Edwin Jagger DE89
Edwin Jagger Pre Shave
Personna Platinum

Absolute disaster, I gave the blades one last try after several attempts. They really do not agree with me.

So I'm stuck with eleven or so Personna and Perma-Sharp blades which I do not get on with. Any suggestions what to do with them?

Get a sample pack with a variety of blades. And practice. It takes time. You have quite a mild razor and Personna Israeli Reds get the reputation of being mild too. Sometimes the combination of a mild razor and mild blade leads to problems trying to get a smooth shave (over buffing, leading to irritation or burn, for instance). I find an Astra SP is a good all rounder: sharp and smooth. But, and this is important, different blades work differently for all of us. 'YMMV' (your mileage may vary) is a phrase that gets bandied around a lot.

I don't know if you are new to this, but it's really worth finding a few videos that give some great advice. Our own @Kevy does some tremendous ones. He doesn't just cover products, but also offers sound advice for the beginner and seasoned shaver.

Hope this helps...

Get a sample pack with a variety of blades. And practice. It takes time. You have quite a mild razor and Personna Israeli Reds get the reputation of being mild too. Sometimes the combination of a mild razor and mild blade leads to problems trying to get a smooth shave (over buffing, leading to irritation or burn, for instance).

I don't know if you are new to this, but it's really worth finding a few videos that give some great advice. Our own @Kevy does some tremendous ones. He doesn't just cover products, but also offers sound advice for the beginner and seasoned shaver.

Hope this helps...
I actually have a sample pack, it is where the Perma-Sharp blades came from.

I am getting on well with my Feathers, Astra's, Gillette Silver Blues and 7-oclock. I just thought seeing as I had them still I would give them another whirl.

Edwin Jagger DE89
Edwin Jagger Pre Shave
Personna Platinum

PM me with your address and I will sort some different blades for you. ;)

I actually have a sample pack, it is where the Perma-Sharp blades came from.

I am getting on well with my Feathers, Astra's, Gillette Silver Blues and 7-oclock. I just thought seeing as I had them still I would give them another whirl.

Makes sense. You're pairing assertive blades, like Feathers and 7 o' Clocks with, arguably, mild EJ.

So a mild razor with blades from the sharper end is a better march up?

Allegedly. But, as I argued above, what works for some may not work for another. It also depends on the individual; beard type, face prep, technique and so on. What I can tell you is if you're going to try different blades, razors and associated paraphernalia, you'll have a great time. I've learned so much from the good folk here just by reading their posts. Enjoy; and welcome :)

Allegedly. But, as I argued above, what works for some may not work for another. It also depends on the individual; beard type, face prep, technique and so on. What I can tell you is if you're going to try different blades, razors and associated paraphernalia, you'll have a great time. I've learned so much from the good folk here just by reading their posts. Enjoy; and welcome :)
That was part of the reason why I signed up to a subscription service. So I can try products I may not have found otherwise.

Razor: ATT SE1 Hempel Ti
Blade: Feather Pro (7)
Brush: Shavemac ATG LE The Nisky Silvertip Fan
Soap: Eufros Tierra Humeda
A/S: Old Spice
Decanter: Old Spice U.S.Bicentennial Commemorative Coin Series Decanter (John Paul Jones) 1975 ID #3782

To help commemorate the U.S. Bicentennial, there where three “coin” decanters were sold in 1975. Three coins commemorate George Washington, John Paul Jones, and Thomas Jefferson.

7 09 17.jpg

Thursday 7th SEptember 2017

sotd 7th Sept.JPG
Pre Shave: Hot Shower + L'Oreal Pure Power Charcoal Face Wash and Proraso white
Razor: Executive Shaving Claymore v2 head on Pharos SS handle
Blade: Feather Proffesional (#1)
Brush: Maseto 30mm 2 band finest
Soap: Arran Aromatics Machrie
AS: Lucky Tiger Bay Rum lotion

First shave with my newly acquired Claymore, I have a some other AC type razors but the head on this one seems huge, the Pharos handle seemed to fit aesthetically, but it weighs in at 155g altogether. The Maseto is a big brush but this razor makes it look quite small. It seemed appropriate to use the Scottish soap with the Scottish razor, this soap is really rather good with a very pleasant scent. The stone soap bowl is another heavy weight, not one you would want to drop, it would probably break your foot or a floor tile if it landed on one of them or least do some serious damage.

I was taking it very easy and I suspect with more practice and a lighter handle that a 2 pass shave will be sufficient with this razor, this shave needed a 3rd pass and I got one small weeper that went away with the cold water splash. The result was super smooth, and I was quite surprised at how easy to use and how maneuverable this razor is despite it's size, I expected to run into trouble under my nose but it was fine. This is really a very good razor and seems well matched to the Feather Pro blade.

image.jpg ~SOTD~ 8th September Friday

Prep....Shower ~ Olive Oil Soap
Razor....Ever Ready ~ Streamline late 1940s model
Blade....Ever Ready Corrux circa 1950 freshly stropped
Soap....OSP ~ Lavender
Brush....Brad Sears ~ Gonzo
Scuttle....Giles Shaving Co
Post....BBA Post Shave Balm
Scent....Chanel Allure

A wonderful shave from the Streamline and Vintage Corrux blade, I was left with smooth skin and without any irritation, a very enjoyable razor to use .
My OSP lather stayed warm in the wonderful Scuttle from Giles Shaving Co, love it!
I finnished off my shave with my usual BBA PSB followed up with a light body spray of Chanel Allure, so I'm clean shaven and smelling great! :)

Wishing you all a fabulous Friday, enjoy your weekend.....:)

Last edited:
Date: 08 September 2017 is nearly 6am in West of London

Pre: - Cold Water straight from the tap
Brush: - RazoRock Plissoft Big Bruce Synth. 26/63mm knot
Lather: - Palmolive Classic Shave Stick (european version grated into a plastic tub)
Razor: - Parker Variant Adjustable in Satin Chrome (WTG #5, XTG #3, ATG #2)
Blade: - Rapira Platinum Lux #2
Post: - Thayers Witch Hazel 'Unscented' / Bulldog Original Aftershave Balm
Fragrance: - YSL L'Homme EDT

Back
Top Bottom