SOTD: Saturday 3 - Friday 9 December 2022.

Sunday, 4 December

PreShave: Warm to hot water—from the tap
Cream: Floris
Brush: Kent BK8
Bowl: My recycled T&H cream bowl
Razor: Merkur 39C
Blade Astra sp (2)
Post Shave: Alum

Fragrance: Floris 71/72

The first post in a while—I’ve been traveling abroad for work purposes almost constantly since my last post in October(!).

A great three-pass shave. Have a good remainder of the weekend, folks.
Welcome back @Bruce. I hope all is well for you.(y)

Decemboar 4 2022

Pre - Palmolive Sea Minerals
Brush - Zenith Euro X (unbleached 24mm/58mm)
Soap - Arko Hyrdrate
Razor - Personna Star head on a Yaqi Handle
Blade - Treet Classic (1)
Post - Witch Hazel/Lea Balm
AS - Superdrug Forest Fresh

I've been struggling to get good results with the Treet Classic but for today's shave using a much lighter touch I managed to get excellent results without picking up any weepers, just by using a much lighter touch, I think the blade was a touch sharper than I gave it credit for, I think I will still PIF most of my stocks, every time I look at my stock of DE blades I get a little frightened, it seems to be growing by the day.
I think today's shave was the one I managed to click with the Personna Star razor, it's a touch more efficient than my Techs but very smooth nonetheless. I will give it a go with a few more blades to see which ones it works the best with.
The scent of Arko Hydrate seems to match almost perfectly with Superdrug Forest Fresh, which is great smelling fougere splash but I'm coming to prefer splashes that contain glycerine and castor oil, which it lacks and I find myself reaching for other aftershaves like Brut on a more regular basis.

Have a good Sunday gents.

IMG_20221204_121117.jpg

4 December, 2022

Prep: Hot towel
Razor: Rockwell 6S – #3
Blade: Gillette Bleue Extra
Brush: Brad Sears Archduke 26/50 2-Band Manchurian
Soap: Los Jabones de Joserra: Gredos on my Mind (another new soap)
Fragrance: Sahraa Oud by Fragrance Du Bois

continuing my 'new soap' journey with Los Jabones de Joserra: Gredos on my Mind, and... Oh my days! another one that far exceeded my expectations. Volumes of thick, cushiony lather, superb protection, with superb glide and slickness. Post shave is excellent. One of those shaves that feels like you forgot to put the blade in. It's moments like these that make shaving a real hoot! Finished off with Sahraa. It doesn't get much better than this.

Prep: ESC pre shave oil mixed with Proraso sensitive pre shave cream
Brush: Yaqi 24mm synthetic
Razor: Henson AL13 Mild
Blade: Astra Superior Platinum (green) (1)
Cream: Nivea Men Sensitive Pro Ultra Shave Cream
AS 1: Ariana & Evans Cuban Highball Aftershave Splash
PS 2: Nivea Men Sensitive Pro Ultra After Shave Balm mixed with GFT Spanish Leather Skin Food

First try with this razor/blade combo; it felt so mild and smooth on the first pass that I decided to go for three passes, although I always mangle myself when I go anything other than WTG.

Today's result was definitely a success, only one small accident where I have a tiny mole which I sometimes take the top off by mistake.

Also pleased that my black Friday aftershave purchase smells devine and mixed well with my usual balm.

I have noticed that my XTG pass tends to feel like it's achieved very little; no matter how I angle the razor I seem to get very little audible or sensory feedback as if the blade isn't doing anything. When I go WTG and AGT I get good feedback... Is this normal? I'm considering skipping the XTG pass as it doesn't feel like it achieves much but adds opportunities for irritation!

Prep: ESC pre shave oil mixed with Proraso sensitive pre shave cream
Brush: Yaqi 24mm synthetic
Razor: Henson AL13 Mild
Blade: Astra Superior Platinum (green) (1)
Cream: Nivea Men Sensitive Pro Ultra Shave Cream
AS 1: Ariana & Evans Cuban Highball Aftershave Splash
PS 2: Nivea Men Sensitive Pro Ultra After Shave Balm mixed with GFT Spanish Leather Skin Food

First try with this razor/blade combo; it felt so mild and smooth on the first pass that I decided to go for three passes, although I always mangle myself when I go anything other than WTG.

Today's result was definitely a success, only one small accident where I have a tiny mole which I sometimes take the top off by mistake.

Also pleased that my black Friday aftershave purchase smells devine and mixed well with my usual balm.

I have noticed that my XTG pass tends to feel like it's achieved very little; no matter how I angle the razor I seem to get very little audible or sensory feedback as if the blade isn't doing anything. When I go WTG and AGT I get good feedback... Is this normal? I'm considering skipping the XTG pass as it doesn't feel like it achieves much but adds opportunities for irritation!
It's not just you, Luke.
I too skip XTG, and two passes WTG/ATG suit me just fine - usually BBS or very close to.
If you think about it, ATG is likely XTG in some areas anyway?

View attachment 97107
SOTD: 04/12/2022

Razor: Blackland Era, level 5 plate
Blade: Astra SP, 1st use
Brush: AP Shave Co. Lemon Drop G5A
Bowl: 3D Printed Bowl
Preshave: Bart’s Balms Lochnagar Oil
Soap: A&E Vida Puck
Aftershave: A&E Vida Aftershave
Balm: L’Oréal All In 1 Moisturising Cream Balm

Though tempted to grab another few days with the Shield I had another new toy to try out, a level 5 OC plate generously given to me by Marc @Crossan. The guys in this forum really are a great bunch! Somehow it felt smoother than the level 3 and never felt like it would bite. I realistically shouldn’t have used the level 5, I had minimal growth from a good few days with the Vector and Shield but I couldn’t make the new plate wait any longer so thought sod it! I was so glad I did it as it was amazingly smooth and a great shave that left my skin completely smooth. It’s only served to push me to hunt even more plates down now as it really is an amazing little razor.
Glad you got on with it mate, the Era really is a no thought autopilot razor, almost regardless of the plate you use. I'm sure you'll be able to grab a number of plates after people jumped on the EOL (End of Life) notification and panic bought then realise it's not for them.

Sunday Decem*boar* 4, 2022
Razor: "The King" Clark Razor
Relief Pitcher Razor: The Clark Silver King
Blade: Gem SS
Brush: Fluffy Industries #86/Oumo Boar
Soap: Areffa Soaps Discoverer
AS 1: Witch Hazel
AS 2: Nivea 2 into 1
Fragrance: Tom Ford Grey Vetiver
Consecutive Daily Shaves - # 1,490

I was happy to get the Original "The King" razor by Clark when I saw it pop up for the 1st time ever.................until I shaved with it. The design had me fileted in 3 places with 2 strokes. Not due to technigue or an aggressive razor but the design and now I see why it was redesigned quickly an had a few iterations. The method for securing the blade was changed completely after the first. The original bellied the blade up in the center area of the cutting edge and hence my 2 slices. I switched to the Silver King to finish the first pass and passes 2 & 3 as well to finish the shave which was an uneventful smooth shave after the relief razor entered the game. Still happy to have the Original as I have NEVER seen another "The King" before for sale or in a SOTD picture. Not saying they aren't out there but I'd love to see another if anyone has one. Have a great day everyone !
XS0dYju.jpg
Now having seen that I need a brass/copper handled brush in my life to match my Captains Choice bowl.

Decemboar 4 2022

Pre - Palmolive Sea Minerals
Brush - Zenith Euro X (unbleached 24mm/58mm)
Soap - Arko Hyrdrate
Razor - Personna Star head on a Yaqi Handle
Blade - Treet Classic (1)
Post - Witch Hazel/Lea Balm
AS - Superdrug Forest Fresh

I've been struggling to get good results with the Treet Classic but for today's shave using a much lighter touch I managed to get excellent results without picking up any weepers, just by using a much lighter touch, I think the blade was a touch sharper than I gave it credit for, I think I will still PIF most of my stocks, every time I look at my stock of DE blades I get a little frightened, it seems to be growing by the day.
I think today's shave was the one I managed to click with the Personna Star razor, it's a touch more efficient than my Techs but very smooth nonetheless. I will give it a go with a few more blades to see which ones it works the best with.
The scent of Arko Hydrate seems to match almost perfectly with Superdrug Forest Fresh, which is great smelling fougere splash but I'm coming to prefer splashes that contain glycerine and castor oil, which it lacks and I find myself reaching for other aftershaves like Brut on a more regular basis.

Have a good Sunday gents.

View attachment 97115
"Every time I look at my stock of DE blades I get a little frightened, it seems to be growing by the day". I know that feel very well...I still have a boat load of blades to contend with.

Back
Top Bottom