SOTD : Saturday 5th February-Friday 11th February 2022.

06/02/22
Pre - Shower
Brush - Alpha Outlaw Titanium V1 Synth
Soap - Signature Soap Valentia
Razor - Blackland Tradere
Blade - Wizamet Super Iridium (1)
Post - Cold water Rinse, TC's infused Witch Hazel
Balm - Barts Balm Tester A
A/S - Signature Soap Valentia

Wk 07 (2).JPG
Very nice.
Still testing Negative on the Lateral Flow tests (y)
Stay safe and enjoy your day all

6/2/22

IMG_20220206_123217.jpg

Brush - Yaqi 26mm Black Boar
Soap - Lea Professional Cream
Razor - Flat Bottom Tech
Blade - Shark Platinum (5)
Post - Lea Balm
AS - Bond Retro

First time using the new Yaqi black boar. It's not the densest knot I have come across, but has decent backbone nonetheless, which is impressive considering it doesn't have a glue bump, but the tips, crikey they are the roughest and scrubbiest I have ever come across! It was like exfoliating my face with broom. It still did a pretty good job at creating a lather, also it smelt terrible when it was near my face, not a chemical smell but it smelt of pig; however I take it to be a good thing, IMO it's a sign the bristles haven't been massively chemically treated, from my experience the ones which have often are been more treated and have no odour at all, become soft floppy mops after a few uses.
I had about a pass and a half worth of lather, and the Shark Platinum was definitely running out of steam today, so binned it at the end of the shave, I was impressed with the blade though.
Finished the shave with a splash of Bond Retro, another first for today's shave. I'm struggling to describe the scent profile of this, it's quite sweet and fairly mild, I'm generally not the biggest fan of sweeter scents, I'm not sure I am massively enthusiastic about it, but I will give it a few more outings. A few minutes later on the skin, and it's not sitting too well, sadly this is another product to add to my PIF pile...

Anyway gents have a good Sunday.

Last edited:
Todays Cold Water Shave Kit - Sunday 6th February 2022

Shave Score 9.75

PreShave: Hot Shower \ PAA The Cube 2.0 "Menthol"
PreShave: PAA The Cube 2.0 "Non-Menthol"
Soap: Oaken - Batvia Barber
Brush: Yaqi 26mm - Timber Wolf
Razor: Merkur Progress (4,2,2)
Blade: GSB (1)
Post Shave Oaken - Batvia Barber
Post Shave Balm: Baxters
Post Shave Cologne/EDT: Penhaligons - Cairo

Have a great Sunday all.

PXL_20220130_212705333~3.jpg

@pjgh
Lord blades are quite hit and miss. Do you have a Shark Platinum?
I found the Shark Platinum to be different to the Lord Platinum, I really like the Shark Platinum, I think it might be the pick of blades from Lord, up there with Lord Classic Super Stainless and Silver Star.

But, I imagine someone else might chime in and say all the Platinum blades from Lord are the same!
It is weird how we can all have different reactions to different blades, I absolutely adore the Asco Platinum, works a treat in my RR GC .84, struggling to find replacements at decent prices atm :)

It is weird how we can all have different reactions to different blades, I absolutely adore the Asco Platinum, works a treat in my RR GC .84, struggling to find replacements at decent prices atm :)
Connaught have the 100 pack on offer Joe:

Connaught have the 100 pack on offer Joe:

Boom ordered, thanks Chris, got a bit distracted and spent £50

Last edited:
Homelike Start ; Gillette Nacet Stainless ; Grooming Dept Aion ;
Maseto Shaving 30mm Finest Badger ; L'Oreal Men Expert Hydra Sensitive Moisturiser

220206-SOTD.jpg

@pjgh
Lord blades are quite hit and miss. Do you have a Shark Platinum?
I found the Shark Platinum to be different to the Lord Platinum, I really like the Shark Platinum, I think it might be the pick of blades from Lord, up there with Lord Classic Super Stainless and Silver Star.

But, I imagine someone else might chime in and say all the Platinum blades from Lord are the same!
I do ... but yet to use one. Given the risk it might be the same as yesterday, I'll be giving platinum a bit of a break (again) for a while.

Last edited:
It certainly is a personal thing ...

I certainly used to say that I simply did not like platinum blades as I seemed to react to them, pretty generally. Ones that I didn't, I've later found out are not in fact platinum at all in constitution, but a "platinum class". Blades like the Treet Platinum, which I adore and would probably say is my absolute favourite blade.

I mellowed a bit on the matter when I found a few platinums that I liked, generally from India - you know, Gillette 7 O'Clock Black, Winner Special Platinum (by Gillette) or the VERY excellent (but seemingly now discontinued) Lancet Sharp Edge Super Platinum. There's also the Blue Diamond Super Platinum from SuperMax and the new breed of "new sputtered technology" blades from SuperMax/Vidyut. I re-tried Gillette Platinum, both old and new packs, and hated them both.

Yep! It's an odd one for sure!

Enjoy your incoming stash of ASCO Platinums. I see you've been pointed in the right direction.

Back
Top Bottom