SOTD Saturday 5th - Friday 11th August

Monday AM 2017-08-07

Georgetown Pottery G20 scuttle (Hamada & Purple)
D7 Elite Razor Manchurian 2-Band (27mm/51mm)
Penhaligon's English Fern shaving soap (tallow)
Delta Echo Black Chrome-Nickel Feather AS-D2
Personna Super Platinum Chrome (8)
Penhaligon's English Fern aftershave (vintage)

The shave was quite smooth today, so I am guessing that the tugging yesterday was due to the AOS Rose Absolute lather rather than the blade.
fd7cKWN.jpg

Monday 7th Aug 2017

sotd 7th Aug.JPG
Pre Shave: Hot Shower + L'Oreal Pure Power Face Wash and Proraso White
Razor: Timeless 0.68 scalloped base plate with scalloped cap
Blade: Polsilver Stainless (Lodz) (#2)
Brush: Maseto 30mm 2 band finest fan shape
Soap: Mon Savon
AS: Nivea soothing balm

After my shave with the Timeless 0.95 OC plate on Saturday night, the shave was so close it was not worth shaving on Sunday morning, so I decided to leave the next shave until Today. Another close shave but it did feel a bit uncomfortable compared to the last shave, no weepers or nicks but it did sting in a few places as I shaved, probably too much pressure but it all felt fine post shave. I was not expecting the shave to be as close as the 0.68 is described as mild, it is certainly effective.

Last edited:
Greetings All,

Monday shave.

One days' growth and warm shave

Preparation – face washed with Clique Liquid facial soap (mild)

Pre: Prorosa White pre-share
Soap: ES Sandalwood cream
Razor: Rockwell 6C (3P)
Blade: Merkur Blade
Brush:RazoRock 400 Noir

Post Shave: Cold water rinse, Alum and another cold rinse followed by a shower then Proraso aftershave lotion (red) and Nivea 2 Phase.

Let's not beat around the bush about this shave – Horrid, horrid and yup Horrid. Probably the blade (that came with my Merkur 37C), but the shave was awful… Crimson flowed and the alum burned like I had torched myself. That blade is heading STRAIGHT to the bin :mad:

Roll on Tuesday, I hope for a nicer shave.

After the usual 1-2 minute hot towel prep:

1964 Macys silvertip flopmeister
Stahly head stuck onna 100mm UFO titanium handle/Schick Plus Platinum(super) NOS 1969
Old Spice vintage soap
Neutrogena oil free moisture
Givenchy 'Xeryus' EdT black bottle....lotsa oakmoss if you like that frag.

Second day using this new to me soap and it's been fun so far. The vintage blade's one of 20 I just acquired after running my stock low and it's as good as the others in my arsenal. Reminds me of the old Swedes.

BBS results,

Martin

SOTD: 080817
SOTD 070817.jpg

Pre shave: Hot shower with L'Occitaine cade
Straight Razor: "Autocrat", (on loan) Not a clue what the size is but it is small and following a strop extremely sharp. :)
DE Razor: Gillette Fat Bay
Blade: Polsilver SI. #1
Soap: NSS Lemon, Basil & Mandarin.
Brush: Simpsons Best 22mm
Splash: DR Harris Arlington
Cologne: DR Harris Traditional.

For reference, this is only my #12 shave with a straight razor and I have only achieved one pass.
In saying that I am proud to report no blood was spilt. :D

It is a long, long, learning curve with regards to straight shaving IMO but one I want to pursue. I am in no way confident yet to continue with a 2nd pass.
As a result I relied on the Fat boy (again on loan) to sort me out.
Using the Polsilver SI for the first time with this razor and dialling it to #8, I wanted a close shave. #4 for my 3rd pass.

I must confess I felt some discomfort with this shave and maybe I was trying too hard with the straight. :(

The NSS soap as always proved an excellent all rounder but I think I tried too hard this evening attempting to achieve the ultimate BBS shave.

I have a "sore" neck but don't tell anyone guys. ;)

Witch Hazel sorted me out but I must confess I should have left the scents this evening. :eek:

Enough said.
Wayne:)

Late night shave....
20170808_000341-jpg.16029

Although I had a fantastic shave with the GEM Clog Pruf yesterday. I felt I needed another shave due my stubble becoming uncomfortable on my neck.
I thought I could get through tomorrow but decided at the '12th hour' to have a quckie before bed.

No shower for prep, just Nivea face wash and a hot flannel.
Grabbed The General (the only raxor I miss using) and loaded with a Proline, can't remember how many times I've used it.
Used TOBS Jermyn Street, the last of the 6 samples kindly sent to me by James AKA @Acer89
The shavemac unique wiped up a lather in no time. Really nice scent and it performed well.

It was only going ATG where the lack of prep started to show. A little tuggy in places but nothing major.

Finished off with Nivea aftershave balm. I don't tend to use it that often anymore but it till works a treat.

Thanks again to James for sending the samples. 5 out of 6 I rated which is really good going for a fussy git!

Out of the 6 I tried, the B-men cream impressed me the most. Absolute bargain.

Time to get my head down.
Cheers
Rob

Back
Top Bottom