SOTD Saturday 5th - Friday 11th August

image.jpg ~SOTD~ 6th August Sunday

My Sunday early morning shave, no distractions, just Blademonkey and myself were awake .......

Prep....Hot shower~ Olive oil soap
Razor....Gem Natural angle, aka The G Bar
Blade....Gem stainless steel
Soap....Saponifico Varesino ~ Tundra Artica
Brush....Razorock Synthitic Silvertip
Bowl....Little Wren Pottery
Post....BBA PS Balm
Scent....Tom Ford Amber Absoloute (copy oil) Mr Perfume

It's been a while, We have had our heads turned by the likes of the sabre, the 1912 and then the 1914 but now is the return of the G Bar fitted out with a Gem Stanless blade and she is looking good.
we whipped up a fabulous lather from the SV Tundra Artica and painted it on with the uber soft silver tipped Razorock, Blademonkey took over at this point, this is his treat he picked up the G Bar and slowly , carefully began slicing through the stubble with ease, I just stood there and enjoyed the experience of a wonderful shave, when he was finnished we was left as smooth as we require.....very smooth.
A wonderful little razor, one that we should get out more oftern .
Our post shave ritual out of the way it was time for the rubbing of the pulse points with the wonderful Tom Amber Absoloute perfume oil, absoloutely divine.
Leaving Blademonky to tidy up I retire to the kitchen to make us an espresso, a lovely Sunday morning shave..........

Wishing you a relaxing Sunday........:)

Last edited:
Date: 06 August 2017 is nearly 6:35am in West of London

Pre: - Cold Water straight from the tap
Brush: - RazoRock Plissoft Big Bruce Synthetic 26/63mm
Lather: - Palmolive Classic Shave Stick (european version grated into a plastic tub)
Razor: - Parker Variant Adjustable in Satin Chrome (WTG #5, XTG #5, ATG #2)
Blade: - Astra Superior Platinum #4
Post: - Thayers Witch Hazel 'Unscented' / Bulldog Original Aftershave Balm
Fragrance: - YSL L'Homme EDT

Greetings

Sunday 6th August 2017
Prep: Shower
Razor: Ever Ready 1924 Shovelhead
Blade: Corrux NOS
Brush: Whipped Dog Synthetic
Soap: Speick Stick
Aftershave: Astral Cream (soft)
EDP: Miller Harris Vetiver Insolent

My third shave with this old blade and my best so far, it is hard to tell whether that is because of my treatment to the blade or the razor I used it in today. The 1924 Shovelhead is a more aggressive razor than either the 1912 Damaskeene or the 1914 Little Lather Catcher and IMHO the closest shaver of the three but this morning I treated the Corrux blade to five gentle laps on Feox pasted balsa and ten on English bridle leather, perhaps the answer is it was a combination of both.

This is the first time I have tried the Miller Harris Vetiver and it is wonderful very similar to how I remember Guerlain Vetiver was in the late eighties before it was reformulated and had it's heart and soul torn out!

Regards
Dick.

6.8.17.JPG

SOTD_20170806-1024x665.jpg

• Safety Razor: Maggard Razors - MR14 - Slant Head
  • Blade: Polsilver - Super Iridium
  • Shaving Brush: Vie-Long - 14830 (Horse Hair)
  • Shaving Cream: Taylor Of Old Bond Street - Platinum Collection
  • Fragrance: Taylor Of Old Bond Street - Jermyn Street - Luxury Cologne

SOTD: 6th August 2017.
2.JPG

Shaving recipe for today.

Prep: Warm shower: / Nivea Men ~ Active Clean Shower Gel .

Pre:

warm wet flannel to my face.

Wilkinsons Fruits ~ Coconut & Vanilla Body Butter.

Brush: Frank Shaving~ Synthetic.

Bowl Lather.

Cream :Truefitt & hill ~ Almond Shave Cream.

Blade: Shark Super Stainless.(2)

Razor: Merkur 34C.

Warm wet flannel/ cold wet flannel to rinse my face.

Alum Block. / Benjamins ~ Bay Rum Aftershave.

Morrisons ~ Aloe Moisture Lotion.

Greetings,

A nice relaxing smooth 3 pass + pickups shave to start the day...
Finishing off the second sample of the Truefitt & hill Almond Shave Cream,
which provided me yet again with a superb slick lather adequate for the shave
The shark blade performed wonderfully in my 34C..No errors to report.

Finishing the shave off with a generous splash of Benjamins Mentholated Bay Rum.

My face is feeling smooth cool, & smelling wonderful.

Enjoy your sunday,ladies & gentlemen.:cool:

Greetings

Sunday 6th August 2017
Prep: Shower
Razor: Ever Ready 1924 Shovelhead
Blade: Corrux NOS
Brush: Whipped Dog Synthetic
Soap: Speick Stick
Aftershave: Astral Cream (soft)
EDP: Miller Harris Vetiver Insolent

My third shave with this old blade and my best so far, it is hard to tell whether that is because of my treatment to the blade or the razor I used it in today. The 1924 Shovelhead is a more aggressive razor than either the 1912 Damaskeene or the 1914 Little Lather Catcher and IMHO the closest shaver of the three but this morning I treated the Corrux blade to five gentle laps on Feox pasted balsa and ten on English bridle leather, perhaps the answer is it was a combination of both.

This is the first time I have tried the Miller Harris Vetiver and it is wonderful very similar to how I remember Guerlain Vetiver was in the late eighties before it was reformulated and had it's heart and soul torn out!

Regards
Dick.

View attachment 27787
Good morning Dick, with a good stropping every use how many shaves would you imagin you could get from one of these old blades? P.

Pre: Lots of cold water
Brush: EJ Medium BB
Soap: Proraso Red
Razor: Marspen OC
Blade: Astra SS
Afters: Proraso Red AS
IMG_20170806_085839.jpg
It's been a while since I've had three DE shaves in a row and even longer since I've had two different Sandalwood shaves back to back.
Result: a very enjoyable shave using a +70 year old department store razor. Good old Marks & Sparks.

Good morning Dick, with a good stropping every use how many shaves would you imagin you could get from one of these old blades? P.
Greetings Paul

I really don't know as I've never put it to the test but if you used the feox or worse still chromox too often it would wear away the edge to the point where the only salvation would be to take the blade to a stone. This is tricky with these blades because unlike a hollow ground blade you do not have a thick spine so you need to build up the blades spine with something more than just tape to achieve the correct honing angle.

I have achieved some success by taping slivers of credit card to the spine but it's a bit of a rough and ready method. The GEM style blade stroppers that came with the old razors whilst ok for gentle stropping create far too steep an angle for honing.
To guess or estimate an answer to your question perhaps 30 shaves but that is a guess, Valet made the claim with their razors that a man could get six months shaving from one blade, I personally think that is 1930's advertising speak and frankly bo**ocks!

I am unable to find the post now but Tom White who is obviously a very clever engineer (inventor of the Bunny injector) has made a special contraption for holding old SE blades at the correct angle for honing on a stone.

Regards
Dick.

Greetings Paul

I really don't know as I've never put it to the test but if you used the feox or worse still chromox too often it would wear away the edge to the point where the only salvation would be to take the blade to a stone. This is tricky with these blades because unlike a hollow ground blade you do not have a thick spine so you need to build up the blades spine with something more than just tape to achieve the correct honing angle.

I have achieved some success by taping slivers of credit card to the spine but it's a bit of a rough and ready method. The GEM style blade stroppers that came with the old razors whilst ok for gentle stropping create far too steep an angle for honing.
To guess or estimate an answer to your question perhaps 30 shaves but that is a guess, Valet made the claim with their razors that a man could get six months shaving from one blade, I personally think that is 1930's advertising speak and frankly bo**ocks!

I am unable to find the post now but Tom White who is obviously a very clever engineer (inventor of the Bunny injector) has made a special contraption for holding old SE blades at the correct angle for honing on a stone.

Regards
Dick.
What about mini bulldog clips? Or would they be too wide?

Elegante Dame 6.08.2017.jpg
© Floid_Maniac

Today I used the Gillette Nacet Stainless for the first time and it had to shave a two days growth. That was no problem for this fine razor blade. Super sharp and very smooth. I have a BBS in three passes with no irritation, no cuts and no bleeding. My skin feels great. So many thanks to @Blademonkey for sending this great blades.

This Sunday`s late morning shave was accompanied by the Velvet Underground.

Greetings Paul

Regards
Dick.
Thank you Dick, I have boddged together a stropping handle that seems to have the blade at the correct angle so I will keep stropping between shaves and see how long I can keep a blade going for. All good fun :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom