SOTD: Saturday April 22 - Friday 28 April 2023.

23 April

Geo F Trumper Eucris
Blackland Signature
Blackland Vector
Feather Professional (15+)
Geo F Trumper Eucris skin food

B6EF5DF1-AE6F-41E0-A381-BF9960C663DD.jpeg
Today’s shave lent itself to a b&w photo didn’t it? Using the same blade as the day before from the Claymore Evolution and having guessed it to be at least fifteen two pass shaves old, was it dull? Oh yes, the Vector tugged from the first stroke. The lather was up to the challenge and no damage was done to the face, but a less than optimum shave was the result. Not that close and a little irritation to boot. The Claymore may not be the closest shaving AC razor of the bunch, but it’s certainly no dud. Back to the Blackbird tomorrow.

Sotd-23-04-23.png

I was going to complain again about not having hot water but I was reading something this morning that contained the statistic that 25% of the world's population have no reliable access to safe and clean water never mind hot. Note to self - first world problem - get over it. :) - I.

Second shave with the Fatip blade today. Maybe the last. This trying new blades idea of mine is just reminding me why I use the blades I do!

:(

20230423_133533.jpg

20230423_133701.jpg

Anyway, nice strong coffee of coffee and off we go.

Decided to try the Pears clear soap as a preshave. That worked really well and was very, very slick. Seemed to allow a nice lather on top of it too...

20230423_134319.jpg

The blade didn't feel that sharp, but I have a close shave with no irritation. Again, a couple of weepers were I had some blemishes already.

Also tried Tabac AS for the first time today. Hasn't caused me the issues that Proraso AS had started to, so that's good.

20230423_133617.jpg

Think I'll probably swap to a Shark SS blade tomorrow.

20230423_141107.jpg

SBacOoI.jpg

As I was cleaning the other day I "found" this Mühle Companion razor I bought in the past and never really liked. So, I used it. :rolleyes: It's a tad too aggressive for my tastes, but I got the job done. I will give a better review of this new blade in a day or two for shave #2.

Good stuff Orange, glycerine soap is the only preshave I use now, whether Droyts, Pears or La Toja Magno. They all work well as a preshave and don't seem to affect the lather on top in a bad way. I've tried others and while some might smell nicer, I never thought they added more to the shave quality than the above face soaps, just cost more probably.

Yes, the scent is "interesting", but isn't it slippery???

No pic from me today, it doesn't warrant one. If I were a proud man I'd just avoid posting altogether, pretend nothing happened. But I'm not, I'm human and honest. I seem to have turned into The Butcher of Windsor. Decided I'd give the Baurmann a run out. I knew it needed a bit of a sharpen, I gave it a good strop and thought I'd see how I got on, evaluate how far I need to take it. Well. I don't know where my head was during the shave, but frankly I'm surprised it wasn't rolling around in the basin by the end! Claret everywhere! I looked like one of those clowns out of a B movie schlock horror. The only soundtrack that could accompany this would have to be Rammstein.
I don't think they ever wrote a suitable song so I'll have to write my own:

(Gruff scary close-miked Till Lindemann unsettling storyteller voice)*
Ein alter Mann rasierte sich, Rasiermesser in der Hand. Sanfte Sanfte die Haut entfernt, und blutete vor Schand'. (insert Gothic female warbly vocal break)
Ein Gesicht volle Seife, 'ne kleine Fehler, rote Streife, das Blut in einer Rinne geflossen, so hat der arme Mann den Schmerz genossen. (Insert 2 heavy drum hits, Blam! Blam!)
Erneut, die Klinge zu der Backe, und wieder Haut tiefst geschnitten. Der Typ kommt gleich in Gottes Acker, so hat der armer Mann gelitten. Nun darf der nicht mehr aus dem Haus, der arme Kerl, er blutet aus. Blam! Blam! (Insert disarmingly gentle yet sad melody) Blam! Blam!

And now I literally can't go out, I look like I've put my face through a window ffs. Not often I cock up a shave, but today was not my day. At least I can get the frustration out with some extra dark German 'poetry' (sorry @Ebberman you're welcome to disagree with my use of the word today!)

I suppose I ought to put in a rough translation of the German in case Google doesn't help. Sorry I can't make it rhyme in both languages!

An old man was shaving, cutthroat in his hand. Gently gently he removed his skin, bleeding for shame.
A face full of soap, one small mistake, a red stripe. The blood flowed like a stream, this is how he enjoyed the pain.
Once more he brought the blade to his cheek, again cutting deeply into the skin. He's going to be at the Pearly Gates soon, such is the suffering. And now he can't leave the house, the poor guy is bleeding out...

Now you know why I like Rammstein, for those times when only dark teutonic muttering will do.
And now I literally can't go out, I look like I've put my face through a window ffs. Not often I cock up a shave, but today was not my day. At least I can get the frustration out with some extra dark

*If you're unfamiliar with Rammstein, this song will give you an idea of the voice, and the disarming melody etc.

Last edited:
Sunday AM 2023-04-23
World Book Day
ks7YcYy.jpg

Rooney 1/3 Ivory Finest (26/55)
Brooks Brothers shaving soap (tallow)
Carbon Mokume-gane Oda
Personna 74 Tungsten (5)
Guerlain Habit Rouge aftershave

The soap and aftershave scents share several notes and blend well together. The Carbon is very smooth and efficient, and it gives me more nice auditory feedback than any of my other razors.
v2CsTCJ.jpg

View attachment 104499

I was going to complain again about not having hot water but I was reading something this morning that contained the statistic that 25% of the world's population have no reliable access to safe and clean water never mind hot. Note to self - first world problem - get over it. :) - I.
Cold water shaving, Iain. Have never looked back.

Back
Top Bottom